The definitive iPhone activation and eligibility thread.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
Activation: Where and how

Second is where and how you activate it. You'll have 3 options. 1) In a AT&T corp. store, and activation will be almost standard. 2) Online, you click and buy, and they ship it. Activation can be handled either over the phone, or in a store. Again, same as today. Devices bought in Apple stores will be activated by Apple reps.

The iPhone will not be able to be ordered over the phone for at least 30 days after launch. All devices will be sold and activated in-store. att.com and the Apple store will also not sell it immediately.
These paragraphs are confusing me. You say it can be bought online then you say "all devices will be sold and activated in-store." Which is it?

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
These paragraphs are confusing me. You say it can be bought online then you say "all devices will be sold and activated in-store." Which is it?
no one really knowd for sure. some people say only in store, other are hoping they can pre order online. no one will be certain until closer to the release date

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Does this mean that the iPhone will not be locked to AT&T/Cingular
The iPhone IS locked to AT&T period. You will NOT be able to unlock it and use it with any other carrier.

It's for the USA only at this time. Apple created an Iron Clad contract with AT&T in which Apple sets all the terms and has a majority say in every aspect of this project. After all, it's the Apple iPhone, not the AT&T iPhone.

No worries, anyone in the US that wants one will be able to buy one. Apple will see to it. It's all about the money. Apples specialty is getting all the customers money.

You pay, you get one, very easy.

drewshbag

Jun 13, 2007
Question.

What is the deal for cingular / AT&T employees? Will we be able to purchase one on the 29th? It would be mighty comforting to know that theoretically we would have first dibs. I was just hired a couple of days ago and start kickoff training on the 18th, and will not have an employee phone by the 29th.. even if i don't get a discount and i have to sign a 2yr contract (still with sprint until the 29th) i will totally do it if they are allowing us.
Yes,:laugh2: No,:( Maybe?:sick:
THANKS!

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I am wondering about this as well. If you search the Apple store for "iPhone" the following message pops up:

iPhone, the revolutionary combination of a mobile phone, widescreen iPod, and Internet communications device, is coming to the online Apple Store and retail Apple Stores on
June 29, 2007
, with AT&T as the exclusive U.S. carrier partner.
Based on this you will be able to order it online right away. I would appreciate some clarification.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Based on this you will be able to order it online right away. I would appreciate some clarification.
Based on my experience with AT&T and online ordering I'm _guessing_ that just like any other phone ordered from the AT&T web site, you follow the following procedure.

From AT&T Online Store:
1) Choose the phone - iPhone.
2) Choose your rate plan - xxxx amount of minutes.
3) Choose your data plan (in this case only one choice) - iPhone data plan.
4) Choose any accessories.
5) Check out.
6) The phone is sent to you, upon receipt of phone, you call in and they activate it. (2-5 minutes)
7) Your ready to go.

From Apple Online Store: Almost the same as above:
1) Choose the phone - iPhone
2) You are now redirected to the AT&T site
Perform steps 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 as above.

Again just a guess based on exiting methods available to them.

pdirish

Apr 26, 2007
Is there a different data plan for iPhone?

A data plan is similar to a text messaging package, but gives you either a bucket of data to use or unlimited data access. It's a monthly charge in addition to your voice services, and you wouldn't want it if you don't want to pay for it. For most devices this isn't a problem, but the iPhone is a revolution, as we all know, and part of that revolution requires an always on data link. Thus you need the data services on your line.
I'm not sure if I missed the thread, however, will the data plan for the iPhone be different from PDA connect or BBunlimited?

serraghost

Bronze
May 30, 2007

Eligibility: The Can Haves and Have-Nots

Third, who can and cannot have the iPhone. Good news is that almost anyone can use it. Unfortunately, people on corporate accounts (accounts actually in the name of a large enterprise, also know as CRU accounts) cannot have the iPhone. This is due to contract issues, these lines don't have contracts on them individually, instead the entire collection of lines has one contract. People working for a corporation may purchase the iPhone if they sign up for a personal line. These are called IRU's and retain the same discount as a work line. Those looking for their job to pay for their new toy should look into submitting their bill to accounting every month for payment. AT&T doesn't really care about who is paying the bill, only that it is paid, and it's paid for the full 2 years.
To give mroe credit to this poster, he seems to be right on when it comes to businesss accounts.

Please see this latest post:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/13/no_iphone_for_businesss_account_customers_at_launch.html

p9939068

Bronze
Apr 19, 2007
The iPhone IS locked to AT&T period. You will NOT be able to unlock it and use it with any other carrier.

It's for the USA only at this time. Apple created an Iron Clad contract with AT&T in which Apple sets all the terms and has a majority say in every aspect of this project. After all, it's the Apple iPhone, not the AT&T iPhone.

No worries, anyone in the US that wants one will be able to buy one. Apple will see to it. It's all about the money. Apples specialty is getting all the customers money.

You pay, you get one, very easy.
Thanks for the answer! I'm curious, then, what happens to users in the US who wants to get the iPhone without using AT&T? Can they buy the phone through AT&T, then pay the termination fee, then have it work on their own service provider?

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks for the answer! I'm curious, then, what happens to users in the US who wants to get the iPhone without using AT&T? Can they buy the phone through AT&T, then pay the termination fee, then have it work on their own service provider?
No. It's going to be SIM locked, meaning the other carriers SIM won't work, you would only be able to make emergency calls (911)

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
What is the deal for cingular / AT&T employees? Will we be able to purchase one on the 29th? It would be mighty comforting to know that theoretically we would have first dibs. I was just hired a couple of days ago and start kickoff training on the 18th, and will not have an employee phone by the 29th.. even if i don't get a discount and i have to sign a 2yr contract (still with sprint until the 29th) i will totally do it if they are allowing us.
Yes,:laugh2: No,:( Maybe?:sick:
THANKS!
AT&T employees will not be able to purchase an iPhone until 2 weeks after launch. This is standard policy, you can't buy any phone until it's been out for 2 weeks. You still can't buy the A717 or the Blackberry Curve.

att.com and telesales will not have the iPhone on the 29th. Roughly 1 month after launch, it will be sold on those channels, but not before.

It would be naive to think that the iPhone will never be unlocked. A lot of hackers will be waiting to get their hands on it and unlock it. However, unlocking the SIM will still not give you full use of the phone, as the iPhone requires special servers in the carrier's network to run.

I'm not sure if I missed the thread, however, will the data plan for the iPhone be different from PDA connect or BBunlimited?
It may be priced similarly, but the iPhone plan will be a different feature, again it has to access special data servers.

Yes, AT&T will port it over to your iPhone in about 10 minutes at no charge.
You will be able to make outgoing calls immediately. Incoming will still go to your old Verizon phone until the port-over is complete roughly 3 hours after activation. It is recommended that you turn off your Verizon phone completely to avoid usage charges. It will take roughly 30 min to an hour to get all data functions working.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I'm totally bummed! I'm hearing that current in-contract customers not eligible for an upgrade will NOT be able to purchase the phone.

Is this really true?
Yes. I'm in the same boat.

The only way around it is by adding a new line to your existing account.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Yes. I'm in the same boat.

The only way around it is by adding a new line to your existing account.
This is true, however once you have your iPhone up and running you can call in and cancel the old number thereby only having one phone number to pay for. A bit of a pain since you must give everyone your new number, but worth it to get an iPhone.