The design of Apple iWatch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JWiPhone, Feb 6, 2014.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I think Apple should design something along these lines for the iWatch. It has clean lines, simplicity, sleekness, futuristic look, and curvature. I'm not saying it should look exactly like this, but adapt some of these design features.

article-2543875-1ADF165900000578-121_634x398.jpg

I feel it is far better than the more traditional look by Samsung which I feel should be more for analog/digital watches, and has a more retro-watch look.

samsung_galaxy_gear_smart_watch.jpg

#1 JWiPhone, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Many say that design won't allow for different size wrists/arms. But if it does look like those, I believe they'll be adjustable to size.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This design looks just like the one that was posted a few weeks ago, but not as wide. Most of the reasons the other one won't work apply to this one as well. The main problem is it would spin around like a bracelet.

I'm pasting my post from the other thread here:

It appears to have been designed by someone who doesn't wear watches. It looks perfectly round. Our wrists aren't circles. Watches need to be elliptical and have a flat or partially flat area under the face to avoid dead space between the wrist and the top and bottom of the watch and to help keep it in place. It's too wide to wear close to the hand without becoming uncomfortable when you bend your wrist. It would slide around since it's a perfect circle, and as a result you would be frequently trying to flip it back so the buttons were properly oriented. The screen is highly curved, which doesn't seem conducive to touchscreen usage other than very small areas. Usage would be very awkward. It doesn't appear to have any flexibility. It wouldn't be comfortable against the arm when resting the wrist on a table or other surface, and it might even damage the screen. It doesn't appear to have size options like a watch band. I can't see them offering 15 different options to accommodate the various wrist sizes for men, women and kids. And even if they did, you would have to print a wrist sizer at home or go into a store to be sized.

I think an iWatch would have a sizable band with some flexibility and an elliptical shape and a flat or only partially curved screen.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I doubt Apple will make them perfectly round like in all these depictions. My guess is they will fit comfortably with stability.

5. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Yes, I don't think it will be exactly like this prototype. As Europa pointed out, certain features have to be address, like comfort, ease of use, a certain amount of flatness to it, adaptable to all different size wrists. I don't expect Apple to make a bracelet type exactly like this, but perhaps develop a sleek design not seen in some of the ugly watches that have been introduced as of late.

6. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It will be organically designed. BTW, thanks, Chris. :)

Bm6loByCAAAEtm5.png