The Difference Between Jailbroken & Unlocked for 3G

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
got a simple question...what's the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking as it relates to the 3G...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
There is no difference in terminology for the two concepts compared to their counterparts on the original iPhone, if that's what you're asking. Jailbreaking still releases the security lock on the iPhone filesystem so that you can add any app you want and mess with any file you like. Unlocking goes beyond that and lets you use any SIM in the phone, not just an iphone-activated official carrier's sim.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
OK, so I see your 950-post count and am now wondering if this is a trick question from a guy who has been here for over a year. But I'll bite, just because I can't wait to hear the punchline.

Jailbreak, as it relates to the 3G iPhone= hacked firmware letting you run Appstore apps and 3rd-party apps from Installer/Cydia.

Unlock, as it relates to the 3G iPhone= allows you to use any other GSM carrier's SIM card in your iPhone. So far, only a hardware unlock is available. No software unlock yet.

So, now that I have indulged you, bring on the punchline!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
thanks guys...your responses were very clear...and i apologize for the post...i didn't know there was a thread explaining the two...