The End All Be All Battery Thread

p8ntbll247

Jul 12, 2008
Ok so i browse these forums looking for advice on what to do for the iPhone 3g battery. I havnt even opened mine yet, waiting on the naked case from case mate to get here.
Now, I hear things like "let it charge for 2 whole days before you first use it" or "let it drain 100% before you first charge it". So here it is, lets all see if we can set the record straight.
1. What is the best way to set the iPhone charge cycles when you first get it
2. what is the best way to keep the battery working at its best IE charge every chance you get or drain 100% before use?

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Unbox it...use it until it dies completely. Then charge it to 100% and repeat the process. As long as you drain the phone almost completely before charging, you're golden. Problems start occurring when you plug it in at 50% and leave it plugged in for hours.

EDIT: I just GLANCED over the information in the link above and I'm not sure if I read it wrong but I believe it is saying to do the exact opposite of what I posted above. In my experience with cell phones I have always let them run to a pretty low battery point before I recharge and I have had 0 problems out of my devices...Could someone else elaborate?

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Here is the revelevent information from Battery University:

"Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely. "

Aug 3, 2008
^^^ thx... good stuff there ! pretty much charge as often as possible.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Glad the web site helped you. I just was too lazy to type all the info about li-ion batteries. And the fact I was on my iPhone and didn't have copy/paste!:p

Thank you TangoTango for pasting the relevant section.

p8ntbll247

Jul 12, 2008
so if i read that correctly, it's best NOT to fully drain or fill the battery?

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I think it's ok to do both........

They recommend a full discharge once a month or so to ensure the battery "fuel meter" stays accurate. You just don't want to fully discharge the battery each and every time before you charge it.

Full charge is no problem, it seems the main concern there was with overcharging the battery, or storing the battery for long periods of time etc, etc.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Here is the revelevent information from Battery University:

"Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely. "
This is so true man. . .my dad gave me this laptop as a hand me down because it no longer holds a charge, and the reason why is because what is said here ^^.
-He never calibrated the battery eventhough the computer would set a schedule and time when to get it done but my dad rarely did it, and within 2 years the battery will not hold a charge to save its/my life:p

twigg107

Aug 3, 2008
Good stuff! thanks for posting this stuff up because I was going to do a full discharge each time! lol

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
This is so true man. . .my dad gave me this laptop as a hand me down because it no longer holds a charge, and the reason why is because what is said here ^^.
-He never calibrated the battery eventhough the computer would set a schedule and time when to get it done but my dad rarely did it, and within 2 years the battery will not hold a charge to save its/my life:p
All the calibration does is make the "Time left 'till dead" meter more accurate. Chances are your dad has an older nickel battery, and frequently left it plugged in, thus giving it "memory".

p8ntbll247

Jul 12, 2008
so is it the full discharge or fill that is bad or both?

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Fully discharging the battery every time before charging is what to avoid p8ntbll. Fully charging is no problem, just avoid draining it to empty every time before fully charging it, except for the occasional full discharge to keep your battery meter accurate.

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Great info guys thanks!

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I didn't read much, but this should be stickied or something.
I'm tired of all the battery threads.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't read much, but this should be stickied or something.
I'm tired of all the battery threads.
Ya. I've posted in quite a few of them. That's why I just linked up www.batteryuniversity.com.

Let's everyone read and get some good info. That way you can make your own choice on how you want to treat the 3G battery.

If the mods could create sub categories for iPhone 3G that would be great.