The fat finger question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
People question everything about this thing. The people who usually ask that are the people who nothing about anything. Therefore, I respond with something along the lines of "Nope, the iPhone has a computer inside which reads the electric signal from your finger and can pinpoint it to .005mm of where the strongest charge is" Which probably isn't true (it might be haha), but it shuts em up, (and concurrently makes me look like a geek).

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
They should ask the "fingernail" question.

My wife has long nails, and she has a problem with everything from the touch-screen on my car stereo/dvd system to the iPhone. Luckily for her, she prefers the low-tech devices and leaves the gadgets to me.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
People question everything about this thing. The people who usually ask that are the people who nothing about anything. Therefore, I respond with something along the lines of "Nope, the iPhone has a computer inside which reads the electric signal from your finger and can pinpoint it to .005mm of where the strongest charge is" Which probably isn't true (it might be haha), but it shuts em up, (and concurrently makes me look like a geek).
haha, that is great! I will be using that from now on if it's ok. . .

i_poo

Aug 9, 2007
Here's an answer I found on another forum... I don't know how accurate it is.. but it sounds pretty correct. If anyone can verify this, that would be great.

There's a grid array of nanocapacitors that sit just below the screen, each one charged with enough electricity that they'll arc through the glass if there's a ground in contact with it. So you touch the glass, the capacitors directly under your finger release their charge into your finger (but the charge is so incredibly small that you could never ever feel it), and the iPhone knows where you're touching by which capacitors are requesting more electricity.

So, that said, it only works with your fingers and other thin, conductive materials that your skin's in direct contact with. It will also work with a hot dog

One I heard today, which was simply enough:

static electricity

Here's another solution someone else is doing... Undergoing "whittling surgery" for their fat fingers: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/2007/08/iPhone_fingers_too_fat.html

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Here's an answer I found on another forum... I don't know how accurate it is.. but it sounds pretty correct. If anyone can verify this, that would be great.

There's a grid array of nanocapacitors that sit just below the screen, each one charged with enough electricity that they'll arc through the glass if there's a ground in contact with it. So you touch the glass, the capacitors directly under your finger release their charge into your finger (but the charge is so incredibly small that you could never ever feel it), and the iPhone knows where you're touching by which capacitors are requesting more electricity.

So, that said, it only works with your fingers and other thin, conductive materials that your skin's in direct contact with. It will also work with a hot dog

static electricity

Here's another solution someone else is doing... Undergoing "whittling surgery" for their fat fingers: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/2007/08/iPhone_fingers_too_fat.html
Holy crap! I was kinda right. I knew those years of Computer and Electrical engineering school counted for something haha.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL

static electricity

HAHA I've heard of people having "hot dog fingers!"