The final word on the iPhone :)

Jul 6, 2007
OK, here's my story...

I was an early adopter of the iPhone. Picked it up the evening of iDay, and immediately dove into my first Apple product. I absolutely loved the iPhone's packaging, interface and screen clarity, but I was shocked at how remiss Steve and co. were at not putting a task list, sync-able notes and cut & paste into it, not to mention the inability to save attachments.

These are all features I thought I'd learn to live without, but found it to be extremely limiting. I went from a full-featured Treo 700W ( a terrific little all-in-one tool that I never had any problems with), to a great iPod and internet device, but a lousy PDA.

Thus, after 3 months of use, I reverently placed the iPhone back in the box, and picked up the AT&T Tilt (WM6...and yes, I do spend a lot on handheld gadgets...it's probably less than most guys spend on cigarettes and alcohol per year though, so I live guilt-free ;)) Ah, all the features I had learned to love were back...I was home.

Alas, it was not to be.

Going back to the WM6 OS was like returning to your home-town where you went to high school 15 years ago. You remember it fondly, and are glad you grew up there, but realize that the reality of the place is a little less glamorous than your idealized memories. I am not one of those "I-hate-Microsoft-and-Windows" guys. I love Vista, and I'll never own a Mac (I'm too much of a hard-core gamer), but comparing the Apple iPhone to anything else on the market is like comparing Ruth's Chris steak to a chunk of grisly sirloin from Sizzler.

Last night, I placed my Tilt (reverently of course) in my desk, and re-activated the wonder that is iPhone. I still hate that I can't cut & paste, but with Toodledo (a web-based task list) and Readdle (a web-based document reader), I'll get by.

The fact of the matter is that the iPhone is a magnificent piece of engineering, warts and all. There is nothing in the handheld world that comes close, and I'm glad to be back. So, for all of you fanbois who think the iPhone couldn't possibly be better, and you pray to Jobs before bed...you are wrong. It does have flaws, and Apple missed the mark in a lot of ways.

For those of you whiners, who believe that the lack of this or that feature has ruined your life, and you now use Steve's picture for target practice because the iPhone "sucks", you are also wrong. Yep, they missed the boat because of their lack of market research and arrogance (I absolutely hate it when they fix the iPhone with an update, but don't tell you what they fixed..."nope, no bugs here, this was simply a security hole that we were filling"), but there is nothing else that comes close to this incredible design.

There you have it...the final judgment on iPhone 1.0 through 1.1.2. So let it be written, so let it be done.

And Happy thanksgiving to my American friends!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes i like my phone too and when i stuck my sim back into my treo 680 i felt that i had jumped into the De Lorean, my treo looked so old school that i could not take it ans immediately went back to the iPhone.. sure i cannot open and edit word files but i can watch movies and go on a nice we browser!

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
the whole 'fanboy' word and notion is idiotic. Could we stop using it?
I haven't ever read ANYone who thinks the iPhone is perfect as it is.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
to OP: very well put. I have been through the same process (a couple of times!) with my Treo 680. Kept coming back to the iPhone.....

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
On the other hand I've never felt the urge at all to put my SIM into any other phone than my current N95.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
OK, here's my story...

I was an early adopter of the iPhone. Picked it up the evening of iDay, and immediately dove into my first Apple product. I absolutely loved the iPhone's packaging, interface and screen clarity, but I was shocked at how remiss Steve and co. were at not putting a task list, sync-able notes and cut & paste into it, not to mention the inability to save attachments.

These are all features I thought I'd learn to live without, but found it to be extremely limiting. I went from a full-featured Treo 700W ( a terrific little all-in-one tool that I never had any problems with), to a great iPod and internet device, but a lousy PDA.

Thus, after 3 months of use, I reverently placed the iPhone back in the box, and picked up the AT&T Tilt (WM6...and yes, I do spend a lot on handheld gadgets...it's probably less than most guys spend on cigarettes and alcohol per year though, so I live guilt-free ;)) Ah, all the features I had learned to love were back...I was home.

Alas, it was not to be.

Going back to the WM6 OS was like returning to your home-town where you went to high school 15 years ago. You remember it fondly, and are glad you grew up there, but realize that the reality of the place is a little less glamorous than your idealized memories. I am not one of those "I-hate-Microsoft-and-Windows" guys. I love Vista, and I'll never own a Mac (I'm too much of a hard-core gamer), but comparing the Apple iPhone to anything else on the market is like comparing Ruth's Chris steak to a chunk of grisly sirloin from Sizzler.

Last night, I placed my Tilt (reverently of course) in my desk, and re-activated the wonder that is iPhone. I still hate that I can't cut & paste, but with Toodledo (a web-based task list) and Readdle (a web-based document reader), I'll get by.

The fact of the matter is that the iPhone is a magnificent piece of engineering, warts and all. There is nothing in the handheld world that comes close, and I'm glad to be back. So, for all of you fanbois who think the iPhone couldn't possibly be better, and you pray to Jobs before bed...you are wrong. It does have flaws, and Apple missed the mark in a lot of ways.

For those of you whiners, who believe that the lack of this or that feature has ruined your life, and you now use Steve's picture for target practice because the iPhone "sucks", you are also wrong. Yep, they missed the boat because of their lack of market research and arrogance (I absolutely hate it when they fix the iPhone with an update, but don't tell you what they fixed..."nope, no bugs here, this was simply a security hole that we were filling"), but there is nothing else that comes close to this incredible design.

There you have it...the final judgment on iPhone 1.0 through 1.1.2. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Well said ;)

davidlw

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
I too left the iPhone fold only to return and found myself wondering why I left in the first place. I do wonder why there is no search feature. I have 800 clients and a search would be nice especially in the notes part of the Contacts. Also miss Excel. But I am not leaving home again, I will patiently wait for upgrades and be happy.
OK, here's my story...

Alas, it was not to be.