The future is now with the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I remember reading an article in a magazine 3 or 4 years ago saying that nokia didn't just want to make cell phones but be part of the computer businesss and make cell phones into computers. I think more specifically, at least browse the full web, and view/edit documents on them. I thought that was an interesting idea but I had a sidekick 3 at the time and I knew that would be a loooong time.

A couple of years ago I made a prediction that the cell phones will be the all in one device and make digital music players obsolete one day and I wondered what Apple would do when sales gradually slow down because of more advanced cell phones.

Now that the iPhone is out, I think Apple is the first company to bring almost the full web experience on cell phones to the mainstream. Nokia actually did this first (full html browsing) with the nseries phones, but not many people are willing to shell out 600-800 dollars to buy an unlocked phone overseas. I've used a blackberry pearl and it worked great except that the web was reformatted and usually butured, and i've also used helio phones but you couldn't leave a website in the background to do one little thing and it was too clumsy to view the sites in full html mode.

The iPhone effectively futureproofs the ipod brand once the digital music player market slows down (steve jobs actually said that if anyone was going to cannablize the ipod market it would be themselves) and also made an awesome web brower and decent video player (it's a pain in the ass to reformat videos and sometimes they even blow up in size). I love just browsing the web on the iPhone for hours to learn new things and youtube is a godsend to view just about anything you want, from a music video of an old song you loved, to even how to solve a rubik's cube (it's not that hard!).

I remember watching minority report and seeing the characters move the computer screens with their hands thinking that it's the coolest thing ever. I was just walking down the store to day turning off my music (didn't have headphones on) as I entered the store and just seeing how the interface shrinks down to the main menu is just amazing. Things like that shouldn't make me decide to buy a phone or not, but I still see future phones like the LG voyager have the basic interface where you just see the next screen after you touch the icon makes seem so boring after using the iPhone. I can probably see why that's the case because it takes a lot of processing power to do something like that and it seems that the processor the iPhone uses is probably the most expensive and maybe the fastest on the market which other companies can afford to do or compete with, except maybe nokia.....

I've been searching for the ultimate and perfect phone for me and the iPhone is the first one that hasn't annoyed the heck out of me. It doesn't lock up a lot. The processor doesn't feel slow and i'm very happy with the keys. It's not the ultimate phone for me though, but it is the best. It's still missing camera options, flash, gps video recording ect. ect. I really miss the helios with the gps because I could just look up a food place and it would come up instantly on my phone without having to tell it what address i'm exactly at (half the time i don't even know lol).

I actually almost did thinking about replacing my iPhone in favor of the n95 because it has all the features I want. However, the ease of use interface with the iPhone is a huge plus and although I wouldn't mind learning the n95 interface, there's already serious rumers of n98s and n99s coming out! I can't spend 700 dollars on a phone just to want to get a better one in a few months for 800!

The iPhone is probably the best gadget I have ever purchased mainly because of the full web browsing and limited youtube integrated into the cell phone and the ipod is a nice bonus. I would like to say that iPhones are the only phones I will ever buy but nokia has been in the businesss for a long long time and their not going to let Apple steal their thunder with what they envisioned in the future. I'm anticipating that their will be a huge battle next year with the iPhone 2 and n98 and even though I just bought the iPhone, I can't wait to see them come out!

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
also it's important for Apple to have competition. Of course the ipods are monopolizing the mp3 player market and even though their great, they barely come with anything now! I didn't own one until 3rd gen but I i'm aware that they used to come with a power adapter, dock, pouch, and I think a firewire cable in addition to the usb cable and cd! Now they don't even come with the power adapters for them because they don't have to anymore since it's so popular (it's a minor annoyance for me but that's besides the point).

The iPhone surprisingly came with a lot of things I didn't expect but than again this is Apples first time into the cell phone market and they have a set goal of selling a certain number of phones within a certain time they told their shareholders, and I don't think are getting to them quick enough thanks to the superfast price drop. I can't really say much about the non-user replaceable battery though because I usually buy new versions of phones and digital audio players before they die out but I still don't think it's good customer service. I know Apple claims it's to keep the unit small which is probably true but I personally think the main reason is to upsell battery replacement services or have the consumer see that as a hassle because they don't want to go through the trouble of mailing and waiting and just buy a whole new device altogether.........

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Interesting. I think the Nokia N95 8Gb will be Nokia's competitor for the US market. Or maybe not: they're different phones for different audiences after all.

Phone cycle life is a maximum of 18 months so there will be new models out soon. I have a N95-1 for example and the new 8Gb unit is better but stil probably a stop gap for Nokia's next generation releases. The iPhone 2 will be better thatn the current model but will it be able to compete with Nokia or the other big boys?

Time will tell.