The future of third party apps "The Great Divide" as I call it

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Can I make a theory as to what is going to happen once 1.1.1 is unlocked?
  • Some programmars will start developing apps for 1.1.1 that will not work for 1.0.2.
  • Some previous programmars will refuse to update their apps to 1.1.1 because a complete recoding will have to be done and will continue to develop for 1.0.2.
We will consequently be stuck with either...

a) sticking with all the classic 1.0.2 apps and not being able to run any of the new apps that will only work with 1.1.1.
b) updating to 1.1.1 and joining all the new programmars with their new apps that don't work with 1.0.2

And so will commence "The Great Divide", similar to the current PC vs Mac situation, you pick one side or the other based on what they have to offer.

The only way this problem will be able to be solved is if someone comes out with a 1.0.2 functioning app to 1.1.1 functioning app converter so that old apps will run with the new firmware. If this isn't possible, then we're all doomed to choose.

(Eventually, of course, everyone will shift to programming for 1.1.1 but I think it will be a long while and we will probably lose some great apps that only ran on 1.0.2.)

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
That assumes that 1.1.1 is the last upgrade, which is highly unlikely. Each successive update may disable software that was compatible with the previous one, but it may be possible for developers to find workarounds.

It's going to be interesting until Apple supports 3rd party apps.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Can I make a theory as to what is going to happen once 1.1.1 is unlocked?
  • Some programmars will start developing apps for 1.1.1 that will not work for 1.0.2.

I don't agree with this theory.

I believe the only issue is gaining access to add/delete apps onto the phone. The phone itself will run apps the same from version 1.01 to 1.11. The operating system is the same as is the processor, etc.

I view it like a manufacturer using a special floppy drive. The program/app on the floppy is the same whether you run it from special floppy drive A or special floppy drive X ...... you just need the right tool (drive) to load the app.