The Games Apple Plays

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by bballrob, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So, I should finally receive my iPad Mini with Retina 32 GB Space Grey with Wifi and Cellular on AT&T sometime today. In the meantime, I have this interesting tidbit to share.

I am currently out of town, 150 miles from home, but not far from an Apple Store. I called the store yesterday to see if they had any Wifi AND Cellular models in stock. The gentleman on the phone told me that those models were only available for ordering through the online store, but that if I selected in store pickup, I would receive an email within 30-45 minutes telling me my order was ready for pickup.

I asked for clarification. I said, "So you mean to tell me that you have some in the store, but that if I walk in and ask to buy one, I won't be able to do so?" He said, "Yes, you must order it online and select in-store pickup."

Unbelievable.

2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Yes this is true at all stores I believe in fact my store had a sign out front stating this. Rep at Apple store told me that people coming in and buying a bunch and reselling them, don't know if that is fact or his opinion. Being there seems to be a short supply of the higher gig models this may be true. I guess it's a way to allow average joe the ability to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using

#2 Docd, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wouldn't say it's a game they are playing. It's just that the availability of iPad minis is so limited right now. Once they are able to catch up with demand, you'll see in-store purchase become an option.

I'd rather search three different stores and wait until the one I want to becomes available and then secure it for pickup the next day than lining up at 9 am (could take several days) on the off chance that that particular store had the one I wanted.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just went to an Apple Store and they had a store representative guarding a roped off area with all of the iPhones and iPads. They had every color of new iPad and iPhone in stock (but not every size option) and he said they just started walk-in purchases today.

5. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

I wish I'd known this when I bought my wife's mini. I should have chosen the retina and maybe they would have let me do the in store pick up. Oh well .

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You might be able to return it and get the retina version. How long have you had it and where did you purchase it?

7. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Hey Europa. I got it from best buy here in Jacksonville Florida, about two weeks ago. Do you have any advice for an old man

8. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

It would still have to be an online order, right? Caz I don't think any place has the mini w/ retina display on hand

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you're still within the return period if you want to swap it out for a retina iPad mini.

10. BrunoKona

BrunoKona New Member

True story.....in search to get an AT&T 32 gig iPad mini Retna display this is what happeneds. The 2nd day the iPad mini were release I ordered online an iPad mini retna 16 GB wifi. This was the only model available. The get an email telling my my order is available for pickup at the store. This was 11:30 am. At 12pm I go to the store and find out the store system is down for online orders ect. But the store is still taking checks and swiping people credit cards on paper. Lol. So I'm told I can't be helped for store personal pickup at the moment. I hang out at store for 3 more hours then leave get dressed for work and come back at 4:45pm. This time I'm told after I left system came back up for 20 min and is down again. I had to go to work so as I was in route I called customer service and complained. They have me a free iPad mini smart case added to my order. The next day I go to store and pickup my iPad mini Retna display but I am being told I have to wait for the case to be available on the receipt in my email. Which was Monday. It was thursday I think this day was. I took iPad and left. A few days later online I saw there was a 16 GB iPad mini Retna display sprint. So of course I had to order online because you still could not pick up in store. I put an additional $50 on this one because the iPad mini wifi dropped in price if my mind serves me correctly. I picked up the iPad mini case and swapped the iPad out for the other one. I tried to work with the sprint iPad mini but hated the service. So after my trip i came back this time went into the store and was able to do the return and purchase of the iPad mini 32 GB Atnt Retna This time I had to put an additional $120 with it for the upgrade in storage which was cool. So it was def an adventure. Trying to get the one I wanted because it was not in stock in my area for a couple of weeks after the iPad mini Retna was released.

Sent using iCafe app