The grand SSH battery test

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How long will this phone last on standby?

• > 250h (Apple says 250 hours for a phone in standby)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 200 - 240 hours

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 150 - 200 hours

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 100 - 150 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80 - 100 hours

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Dokey,

Brand new 1.1.2 UK iPhone out of its lovely box. Turned on, and jailbroken, upgraded to 1.1.2, SSH installed.

Full charge on the phone - Here's the plan, feel free to suggest modifications...

SSH turned on
WiFi on and connected
A new PAYG O2 sim is installed - hopefully no-one will dial a wrong number and reach it.

I'll allow the phone to sleep and then we'll see how long it lasts on standby.

Then recharge fully and repeat again as before but with sshd stopped. As this is a new phone I'd expect the second discharge to be better than the first.

yertiz...

Last edited by a moderator:

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Here she is again

8:45 GMT

Here it is again in standby on the shelf next to some ancient relatives (also in standby)

Last edited by a moderator:

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
How come you don't have the ssh icon on your home screen... You not have it installed at the time of that pic?
Well spotted - I forgot that and didn't spot until i actually thought I'd best check that I could SSH into the thing!

I put the clock right as well.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
i sure hope you have another iPhone because i know i couldnt just have one and let it sit there till it died just sitting in standby id need to be playing with it all day

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Wait a minute, I've always had bad battery life and now I'm wondering if it has to do with SSH being always on. How do I turn it off? I installed it via installer's "OpenSSH"...

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Wait a minute, I've always had bad battery life and now I'm wondering if it has to do with SSH being always on. How do I turn it off? I installed it via installer's "OpenSSH"...
There are several apps that will allow you to toggle OpenSSH on/off:

iToggle
Services
NetServices

While I haven't tried iToggle, I've found NetServices to the be the best so far. It has more options than Services does, and even displays your current IP address. To install NetServices, you must have CopyCoder's Installer Source:
http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/copycoders.xml

SSH can definitely be a battery killer (not to mention security risk if you leave your default password set as alpine), so it's best to turn off when not in use.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
i had mine installed from an app that put installer on mine while the jailbreak and i have a shh icon which is awesome just one btton to turn it off its awesome

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Enigmatic has a point. I wonder how many people there are with ssh turned on and haven't changed the password? - That sort of leaves your phone a bit exposed at the local wifi point, or school, or workplace.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I don't understand this test. Whom would leave their iPhone on yet NOT use it for all these days? How does this answer questions about battery life? To tell me that it will last four days IF you don't use your phone is complete useless information. Especially when an afternoon of using youtube will flatten the battery before you can say "Apple!"

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
I don't understand this test. Whom would leave their iPhone on yet NOT use it for all these days? How does this answer questions about battery life? To tell me that it will last four days IF you don't use your phone is complete useless information. Especially when an afternoon of using youtube will flatten the battery before you can say "Apple!"

yes for real... they are stupid....

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The question was originally whether leaving SSH turned on would affect battery life. A large number of posters think it may. One post states: "I forgot to turn SSH off at night and when I woke up half the battery was gone" (or words to that effect).

Battery life does seem to be an issue for some people, and there's no data I can find to show what activities use what amount of power.

So I'm finding out :cool:

oh yes.

UPDATE

96 hours on standby and the battery's still showing full.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I think already its looking like the phone does properly shut down wifi in standby. Leave it on wifi whenever you like and be confident it has no bearing on battery life while the phone is in standby. Turning the phone on to turn off wifi is probably more expensive than leaving it on and hitting the sleep button.