The iCloud just merged two of my contacts and gave them the same number!

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Not cool iCloud :sneaky: So, tonight I get a text from someone, but it said the name of a different person! I start talking to the person thinking it was the person's whose name was being displayed, but it was really someone different! When he told me I checked and noticed his number showed up on a different contact! The iCloud deleted the other guys number and synced another persons number! Good thing I had it saved somewhere or his number would have been lost forever since the iCloud synced the new number on my iPhone & mac at the same time. This is what I was worried about, one error on the iCloud and your numbers will be deleted everywhere at the same time.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Not cool iCloud :sneaky: So, tonight I get a text from someone, but it said the name of a different person! I start talking to the person thinking it was the person's whose name was being displayed, but it was really someone different! When he told me I checked and noticed his number showed up on a different contact! The iCloud deleted the other guys number and synced another persons number! Good thing I had it saved somewhere or his number would have been lost forever since the iCloud synced the new number on my iPhone & mac at the same time. This is what I was worried about, one error on the iCloud and your numbers will be deleted everywhere at the same time.
that's why I always have it backing up to the computer as well. I do not trust iCloud only. I can see where it's gonna be a must have in the future but right now it's still a little to sketchy.

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I have most of my contacts backed up, but not all of them. The problem is that I would not have noticed this mistake if he had not texted me. It makes me wonder how many other contacts the iCloud has merged :-/ I'm thinking of not using the iCloud. Its not worth it to use it if its going to merge random contacts.