The Increase in Size of SmartPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by keithdaman77, Aug 7, 2012.

1. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

If you are a bit of a techy geek like me youve probably been interested in noticing the increase of these personal devices called SmartPhones, from the original iPhone there was the Android based mobile phones such as the Sony Xperia X10 out but now as things are moving on Apple are obviously competing for sales with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2 of recent years and the latest S3...I personally own a Samsung Galaxy Note and an iPhone 4S and i can see the appeal of both but admit the 4S is usually picked up and used as my phone only and i usually take that out when i just want a handy small phone but if im going anywhere and i need to do businesss related things or i think im going to be bored and it is the size of the screen that just makes it more pleasurable but at the same time i hhhate carrying the big thing around with me.In all honesty i would love the iPhone 5 to be nearly as big perhaps the size of an S3...lets face it most of us want the best of both a Tablet for its great sized screen but something small enough to fit in the pocket ..the s3 seems like middle ground and for me the iPhone 5 simply has to be this kind of size.

I just wondered what most peoples views are on this, maybe Samsung have something with the S3 size wise, do you think this is the way iPhone 5 should be or are you not ready for a phone to be that big ?or maybe youve found the note or titled phablet great to use and think the iPhone 5 should be bigger.I would love to hear others thoughts on the matter.

2. jpepping

jpepping New Member

I think some of the new phones are just too big to comfortably fit in a pocket. I understand the want of a bigger screen especially for a 4G device for web surfing, videos, games etc. I remember the old brick cell phones and it seems we are returning to the bigger form factor. But unlike the old StarTac we are getting away from pocket size phones. Maybe it is a ploy to get more guys to start using the man bag or murse :cool:.

3. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

haha brilliant maybe your right....i have actually seen people with manbags for the Nexus 7 :)

In all honesty i think you get used to bigger phones and they are great...especially for men like me with ressonable sized hands, it fits in my pocket snuggly without a problem...if im driving i admit getting it out while on the move is near impossible, thast why i think somewhere around the S3 size will be perfect for the iPhone 5...funny because my friend has HTC Sensation XL (which is amost identical in size) a few years ago and i actually mocked him saying his phone was ridiculously large ! lol

4. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I've owned smartphones from 4.3 in size to 4.8. The large screen is what attracted me to them in the first place. While they are big and beautiful, they are inconvenient at the same time. Too hard to handle with one hand as most people tend to use only one hand. Pocket fit wasn't a concern since I am big and my 40+ waisted pants have big pockets. :) My hands are not that small either but I still find the iPhone to be almost the perfect size. I think a 4 inch would be ideal and would not need to be bigger as far as smart phones go. If you want bigger, carry a tablet. :)

5. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

The biggest phone screen that I have seen has to be that of the "htc series"' I think it's a perfect size and no company should go any bigger. Any larger and they might as well put a phone on an ipad so people can walk around and use that.

Sadly still rocking a blackberry...but for not much longer!
    Loving my iPad 2.

6. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

really theorioles33 ? 4 inch screen to me now is too small i just don't find anything that sized practical for anything other than a phone and in all honesty i know the iPhone 4S and anything else seemed to have shrunk to me once id been using my galaxy note for a while...the galaxy note is unarguably too big for the average user and throws practicality out of the window, however whenever i am out with friends and we want to watch a video or a webpage its always the note everyone prefers to see it on.

which phone model is that leggz2di4 ? do you mean the new HTC One X or maybe the HTC Sensation XE, the One X is the same size roughly as the S3 which i know to some is too big, a friend of mine went into get a new phone latley and said he thought the HTC One X and S3 were too big and wanted something around the size of the Sensation XE which is strange because i had one and gave it to my mother but like the iPhone 4 find it way too small for practical use now.

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I think 3.5" is plenty. If it goes 4" by going taller like all the rumors are saying, it'll still be fine. One-handed use is my main concern. If I can't hold a drink in one hand while using my phone with the other, there's no justice in the world. beerbang.gif

8. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

lol yeah im passed those days at the moment using the Galaxy Note is near impossible with one hand, if the rumours are right about the 4" screen or unless Apple bring something special out of the bag i may well be going for the Galaxy S3, im getting a little tired of the same old boring interface on ios needless to say it works but its like a car it may well run perfeclty for a couple of years but i fancy something different now and again, a little bit of excitement and the change from the iPhone 4 to 4S certainly hasn't delivered that so im really hoping Apple have something up there sleeve with the iPhone 5.

9. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I understand EXACTLY where you are coming from. I actually purchased the S3 about a month ago. I still have my iPhone. Not sure if I can ever get rid of it completely. :)

Like you said, I like to try different things. I'm actually enjoying it. ICS is pretty good and the device itself is really nice.

10. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

yeah ics isn't bad nowadays, its come on a lot...there used to be a time i wouldn't even consider an Android device over ios

lol yeah im the same i doubt id sell my 4s :)

11. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

The last Android I had was over a year ago when Froyo was current. I swore I would never get another Android device. :)

12. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

yeah thats the days i couldnt bare it lol, my phone would always freeze up when i needed it most....even if i needed to take a quick pic .........was always too late by the time the camera came on

13. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

Based on the renderings of how it will look in your hand, I think the 4" screen would be ideal for still only using one hand. Because like fury said, no one wants to have to sit the drink down in order to use your phone.

To see the renderings I was referring to, go here:
    http://www.nowhereelse.fr/nouvel-iphone-5-couleurs-68980/iPhone5-couleurs-029/

The images are all listed on that site, but the site is a french site. I clicked on the link from a Gizmodo article to get the direct link instead of theirs.

14. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

I am more referring to the htc evo series...wasn't it like 4.7in or something like that. I had one for like 3 days and it didn't even fit in my car cup holder let alone my back pocket.

Sadly still rocking a blackberry...but for not much longer!
    Loving my iPad 2.

15. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

16. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

yeah we shall see, its gonna have to have more than a 4" screen to sway me into buying one :S

yes the HTC Evo 4.7" that thing was monsterous even compared to the galaxy note

17. keithdaman77

keithdaman77 Member

i have a Vauxhall Golf and its the only car ive actually had that has a spot to put my Note and it fits snuggly in whats meant for CD cases lol

18. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

LOL!

19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I really hope the new iPhone is no bigger than 4 inches. If I feel the need for a bigger display, I'll just use my 7 inch tablet which is still fairly portable compared to a 10 inch tablet. In my opinion, mobility and convenience is important when it comes to smartphones. When I'm out and about with a group of friends, we rarely play with our smartphones so showing something on our phones is not a common occurrence. Besides, and I don't like sharing my toys. :p

20. Kathie63

Kathie63 Member
    Bronze

I also have the Samsung Galaxy Note W/ICS and love it~what I like best about the Android is "swype"! Makes texting SO MUCH EASIER and FASTER!