The iPad is heavy

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
They said it weighed 1-1/2 lbs which doesn’t sound so bad at first, but I don’t know how long I’d be able to hold it in one hand and read or watch movies. After 10 minutes, my hands are aching. A case with a stand or some way to support it will be a requirement for me.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I just got back for the Apple Store and haven't really played with it yet. I did get the Apple case that has the stand so we will see. I really want to get a few books on this thing and see how it goes.

iSoozin

Bronze
Mar 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yes, it is heavy! I gave it to my husband to read his Kindle book on. I want him to try it out before he decides to get one too. I have the case on order and hope that will help some with propping it up on my lap. I haven't had a chance to read on it yet, but I will later - although I don't see how it will be comfortable to read on in bed, unless I'm sitting up. Overall, I love it!

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
Sitting here with the case propping it up on my lap, not heavy at all. But I wouldn't want to hold it up for long.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Sitting here with the case propping it up on my lap, not heavy at all. But I wouldn't want to hold it up for long.
Oh it's fine propped on your lap even without a case but holding it up is definitely a problem for any length of time.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I agree with both of you. It feels expensive, but I wouldn't want to hold that expensive product for too long. My wife remarked that it was heavy and said Real Racing HD was like a workout.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Yes it is a bit heave,but it sure beats having my MBP sitting in my lap all the time. And to think I didn't want one of these when first announced. This thing is sweet and fast. I hope the new iPhone gets the same processor.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I agree with both of you. It feels expensive, but I wouldn't want to hold that expensive product for too long. My wife remarked that it was heavy and said Real Racing HD was like a workout.
It'll be the next Wii-like success :eek:k:eek:k

iprincess

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
twitter.com
i was surprised by how heavy it is too. it's not like a ton of bricks, but definitely more substantial feeling than i expected. it's been awhile, but it seems heavier than holding a macbook air.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, does feel pretty dense. Even with all the space inside (judging by the teardown pics) -- gotta wonder how much heavier the 3G model is...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Interesting. Now I really want to try one out to see how heavy it is. I think Apple products tend to be heavier than they look because they are usually thinner than the competition (not like theres much direct competition with the iPad right now, but still).

InfinitR

Apr 3, 2010
I bet the battery has a lot to do with the weight, which is completely worth it to me. To me it's not really heavy, but the first time you pick it up it does seem heavier than expected from the size. They sure crammed a lot of wow into there.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
It is a little heavy, my lap has been my stand, and I don't know if I'm the only one but I find the volume really low.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Yeah, does feel pretty dense. Even with all the space inside (judging by the teardown pics) -- gotta wonder how much heavier the 3G model is...
I’m guessing only a few ounces more, if that much. The additional circuitry for 3G is small and they replace part of the aluminum back with plastic (about an inch of it at the top).

It is a little heavy, my lap has been my stand, and I don't know if I'm the only one but I find the volume really low.
I was actually surprised at how decent the volume and sound quality were.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I’m guessing only a few ounces more, if that much. The additional circuitry for 3G is small and they replace part of the aluminum back with plastic (about an inch of it at the top).

I was actually surprised at how decent the volume and sound quality were.
Is the volume comparable to a MacBook? I was really surprised how good the MacBook's speakers were when I got mine.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Hmmm, maybe it's my iPad. I have the volume all the way up and it's on the low side. I thought of v1 iPhone. Maybe I'll have to compare with another.

applehappi

Bronze
Mar 30, 2010
NYC
Actually i thought the vole e was great. I played around with a model today and for how chaotic it sounded In the Apple store, I was able to hear the videos on YouTube (played the viral "charlie bit me" video and also on nytimes. And the came through pretty nice.