The iPhone 4 Video Thread!

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
ilovegoogle34 said:
Not sure where else to ask this. But how do you guys upload with such nice quality? I just uploaded to Youtube, and it looked like complete crap..

Edit: I might be /facepalming in a minute..

Edit again: Nope, no /facepalms here.. What am I missing!
When you play back the video from YouTube are you making sure to select 720p? It defaults to low res.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

MomPOM

Bronze
Great video Yancy. How did you like editing on the iPhone? I've yet to buy iMovie as I'm not sure I can handle doing all of that on the small screen.

lionqueen

Bronze
You just made me homesick. :( I used to drive that all the time when we came into the city from Santa Rosa. Great video quality.
Awww... yeah, I drive that road everyday to go to downtown from the sunset district, where I live.

I agree, the video quality is excellent - you can't see it as well as if it was on a sunny day, cos the windshield is a little foggy and wet, but you get a general idea what this phone is capable of. Crazy to have this kind of video on a phone, and editing software too? I love my iPhone :)

CyberData4

Bronze
My question is how do you transfer HD video FROM the iPhone 4 to a windows based computer. I know you can use iphoto for macs. But I'm using Win 7.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
CyberData4 said:
My question is how do you transfer HD video FROM the iPhone 4 to a windows based computer. I know you can use iphoto for macs. But I'm using Win 7.
Just plug it in and it should show up as a new drive with a DCIM photos folder. It will be in .mov format.

CyberData4

Bronze
Just plug it in and it should show up as a new drive with a DCIM photos folder. It will be in .mov format.

Ah! So not having iTunes and quicktime on my PC here at work is probably why it's not showing up.....lol. Thanks!

guest4

Bronze

Yeah, I do that. And then when I upload it to Youtube, it's only 320p. What am I doing wrong?

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Ah! So not having iTunes and quicktime on my PC here at work is probably why it's not showing up.....lol. Thanks!
It should still show up. Playback without QuickTime might be an issue unless you use a different method of playing mov files, but it should definitely show up as a new drive. On Windows 7 it should receive its own drive letter with a folder structure like the following: Internal Storage / DCIM / [800AAAAA]

That last folder might be different for you though.

Windows 7 should also give you an auto start option:

Last edited by a moderator:

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Yeah, I do that. And then when I upload it to Youtube, it's only 320p. What am I doing wrong?
That I'm not sure of... I've only uploaded 2 videos (ever) to YouTube and both of those were for this thread. :) I clicked on the upload link in YouTube at the very top of the page and then clicked on the yellow "Upload Video" button. I'm assuming it just auto sensed that it was HD. Anyone else have any ideas?

Have you tried ZR_Yancy's recommendation and use Vimeo instead of YouTube? You might have better luck there.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
When you upload an HD video directly from your computer, not phone, the media hosting site should automatically have it playback in HD. YouTube sometimes takes a while to playback as HD but it will eventually playback in 720p.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Testing the HD video while driving. Pretty pointless and probably could have edited the end but oh well. Doesn't seem like it's HD though. Maybe it's still uploading?

edit: Video has to be uploaded to your computer then youtube for it to show in HD. Can't send it from the phone for HD.

JimD

Bronze
I took 2 videos of my dog swimming for the first time (first time for both him swimming and me taking video with my iPhone 4).

Video 1

Video 2

JimD

Bronze
Testing the HD video while driving. Pretty pointless and probably could have edited the end but oh well. Doesn't seem like it's HD though. Maybe it's still uploading?

Your video is also only 360p - like mine was the first time I posted it.

It seems you cannot upload direct from the iPhone to youtube in anything better than 360p. You have to transfer it to a PC or MAC and then upload it from there to get hi-rez.