The iPhone 5 is the Porsche 911 of Smartphones

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by ZR_Yancy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

For everyone who was underwhelmed with the iPhone 5 because of its similar design to it predecessor, here is a little part of an article that perfectly explains Apples philosophy of their designs.

guhu8uva.jpg

"What Apple has become is the Porsche 911 of the mobile device world.

Porsche is remarkable because, like Apple, it is based on the essense of what a sports car should look like. Every time a new Porsche is released it's not designed, but rather refined as the state of technology changes.

This is what Apple has become. The iPad, Macbook, Cinema Display, iPod, Apple TV, and the iPhone is a Porsche 911. A very beautiful and extremely capable thing ...not designed, but refined.

The iPhone 5 is going to look like a refined version of the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5S is going to look like a refined version of the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 6 a refined version of that.

I don't mean any of this in a negative way. The Porsche 911 is well known as the best all-round sports car out there, and Apple works is the same way."

http://www.baekdal.com/insights/apple-is-the-new-porsche-911/

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm confused, wasn't the 3G the second iPhone? Why does it show as the third model? And where's the 5?

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It's not accurate but I think it shows the similarity in evolution.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Got it. Really wanted to see what the Porsche 911 iPhone5 looked like.

5. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

No, the 3G was the third iteration. The first generation has two models, the original and a refresh. Much like EVERY generation.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

So the iPhoneS? Are you joking or being serious? Can't tell by looking at you.

7. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

umm, its a fact. I bought both which is how I know. I can't remember anything different aside from the larger capacity between the 1st and 2nd.

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

nope, the was the original then the 3G. Here's something to refresh your memory
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/iPhone

9. josh.ua

josh.ua Member
    Bronze

1. Never use wikipedia as a source

2. You are both technically right. The iPhone did get a refresh but like Eninety2 said, all they updated was a bump in storage, from 4/8 to 8/16. However, I don't believe anyone ever considered it the iPhone 2. It didn't even have it's own identifier within  either (same iPhone 1,1)

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I grabbed the first one I could find.

And bump in storage isn't a new generation if it's the same phone.

11. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

Listen, I know sometimes we all feel like know it alls, but the first generation did have two three models released.

If you click on the link you provided you will see that it states that the first generation came in 4gb, 8gb, & 16gb.

Look at the thousands of videos on youtube of Jobs announcing the iPhone. It was only 4gb & 8gb. The

Now, it may not be listed as an official release in that table but it was in fact a revision. See here.

What you have to remember is that it wasn't as organized as it now, they were pretty much playing it by ear in the beginning.

12. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

I think we are missing the message that the author of that article was trying to convey.

It is a series of refinements along the way. The bump in size however minimal was a refinement on a previous iteration.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Omg. I give up, you're right.

14. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

No, that's incorrect.
    Original iPhone (1)
    iPhone 3G (2)
    iPhone 3GS (3)
    iPhone 4 (4)
    iPhone 4S (5)
    iPhone 5 (6)

Seeing your other posts here your counting new GB sizes as new generations. In that case, the iPhone 5 would be like the iPhone 20.

15. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

*sigh*

So if we use that logic then we are really on the fourth generation (iP5) since the 3GS & thereforee 4S were minimal improvements?

16. josh.ua

josh.ua Member
    Bronze

No, we are on the 6th generation. 3GS also offered an improved camera and processor, as did the 4S (plus Siri).

Adding more storage to something is not enough to qualify it as an upgrade. The thing that makes them different generations is the name.

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Everyone calm down and go do your homework.

Not homework on the iPhone real homework. The kind that will get you an education and a life.

:)

18. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

No! What's your describing is a little itty bitty gb upgrade. The 3GS and 4S, we're more then that. The 4S had a faster processor, better antennas including HSPA, Siri, an awesome camera and it's a Global phone. the 3G to 3GS was a better camera, and faster processor in Addition to a compass.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

shh it's starting to get interesting in here lol

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

We can't condone a 20 yr old and a 15 hr old fighting.

Or can we?

I got 5 to 1 in Mac. I bet he is a scraper.