The iPhone 5s's Wi-Fi chip has an FM receiver

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
So why doesn't Apple let us use it by providing an FM radio function in the music app?

According to Chipworks,

Contained within this module is the BCM4334 which we’ve seen before in the iPhone 5. It includes IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n single-stream MAC/baseband/radio, Bluetooth 4.0 + HS, and an integrated FM radio receiver. It is designed to be used with external 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz front-end modules, which include power amplifiers, T/R switches and optional low noise amplifiers.

Link:

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-iphone-5s/

Sent using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I thought the iPhone had had an FM chip for years. It may be FM-band capable, but it lacks hardware support to use it as an FM radio, similar to the iPhone 3GS. That's what my research shows, anyway.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Oh yeah. LoL. I forgot some people aren't unlimited anymore. I'm still grandfathered into my unlimited AT&T plan. :D

Sent using iCafe app
Your unlimited plan includes a slow down of data speeds after a certain amount used, so in that aspect I rather pay more if I go over than being so slow to the point of being almost unusable. As far as the FM feature, imagine a natural disaster that takes out the cell towers, now you have a nice way to listen to the radio and emergency announcements. That's just one example.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Your unlimited plan includes a slow down of data speeds after a certain amount used, so in that aspect I rather pay more if I go over than being so slow to the point of being almost unusable. As far as the FM feature, imagine a natural disaster that takes out the cell towers, now you have a nice way to listen to the radio and emergency announcements. That's just one example.
A natural disaster of that scope would likely knock out electricity too. That's when a solar powered radio comes in handy. ;)

becomingwater

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Florida
I have unlimited and it never slows. I use Netflix a lot on my phone. Last month I used 25 GB lol. If it did get throttled then I never noticed it. I have a military account. I'm retired and I have been with them from the start. Maybe I'm the lucky one.

Sent using iCafe app

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I've never been throttled. Always go over 5GB. From April through July I was using my phone for everything & averaged over 30GB per month, think i hit 50 a couple times. A lot was tethering. Never throttled or any response to my tethering.

Sent using iCafe app

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Do you get 50mbps LTE speeds?

Sent using iCafe app
Yup, got 60 in Minnesota and Michigan on T-mobile LTE. Here in Louisville, KY, their LTE is brand spanking new (just got turned on over the weekend) and I'm getting about 25 already. I don't doubt that I'll be getting 50-60 here soon, too.

Sent using iCafe app