The iPhone 5s's Wi-Fi chip has an FM receiver

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Yup, got 60 in Minnesota and Michigan on T-mobile LTE. Here in Louisville, KY, their LTE is brand spanking new (just got turned on over the weekend) and I'm getting about 25 already. I don't doubt that I'll be getting 50-60 here soon, too.

Sent using iCafe app

Good deal. The throttling thing use to bother me but considering I always go over, sometimes A LOT, & never been throttled I don't even think about it. If I can use anywhere from 30-50+ GB a month & not be throttled, get a warning, or whatever then I'll keep my unlimited. Maybe it helps I've been with them forever.

Sent using iCafe app

TRBO VNM

Bronze
Oct 18, 2009
I have unlimited on AT&T as well and regularly go over 5 gb with no issues.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Your unlimited plan includes a slow down of data speeds after a certain amount used, so in that aspect I rather pay more if I go over than being so slow to the point of being almost unusable. As far as the FM feature, imagine a natural disaster that takes out the cell towers, now you have a nice way to listen to the radio and emergency announcements. That's just one example.
The amount of data that you speak of is 5gb on an LTE enabled device and 3gb on a 3G and 4g. If you have unlimited data and are using an LTE enabled device they will start to throttle you at 5gb and slow down your speeds to 3G. If you're using a 3G or 4G device the will throttle you to edge when you reach 3gb of data on your unlimited data.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The amount of data that you speak of is 5gb on an LTE enabled device and 3gb on a 3G and 4g. If you have unlimited data and are using an LTE enabled device they will start to throttle you at 5gb and slow down your speeds to 3G. If you're using a 3G or 4G device the will throttle you to edge when you reach 3gb of data on your unlimited data.
I'm pretty sure they throttle it down to speeds that are much slower than 3G (now 4G HSPA+). Not everyone gets throttled, though. Some people use 20+ GB/month without problems.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Yep. Just like drug dealers. The get you addicted to all the cool streaming possibilities and then take away your unlimited.

Sniff... Sniff...
Do the US network providers not allow unlimited data plans ?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Do the US network providers not allow unlimited data plans ?
Sprint offers unlimited data, but their 3G speeds are slow in comparison to the competition. It is often too slow to stream videos. Sprint has an LTE network, but it isn't widespread yet. AT&T and Verizon do not offer unlimited plans on any new accounts. Many people with AT&T and Verizon still have unlimited data, but they are grandfathered in. This means they had an account prior to capped plans being introduced and they chose to keep unlimited. You can keep unlimited with Verizon when you upgrade your phone, but you have to pay full price for the phone at an Apple Store. AT&T will fully subsidize phones and allow customers to keep unlimited. Once you leave unlimited, you can't go back. However, the data is not truly unlimited. The providers can throttle your speeds if you exceed a certain amount per month. This is typically around 5 GB of data with LTE-capable phones, but lots of people use large amounts of data and have never been throttled. It isn't consistent.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Sprint offers unlimited data, but their 3G speeds are slow in comparison to the competition. It is often too slow to stream videos. Sprint has an LTE network, but it isn't widespread yet. AT&T and Verizon do not offer unlimited plans on any new accounts. Many people with AT&T and Verizon still have unlimited data, but they are grandfathered in. This means they had an account prior to capped plans being introduced and they chose to keep unlimited. You can keep unlimited with Verizon when you upgrade your phone, but you have to pay full price for the phone at an Apple Store. AT&T will fully subsidize phones and allow customers to keep unlimited. Once you leave unlimited, you can't go back. However, the data is not truly unlimited. The providers can throttle your speeds if you exceed a certain amount per month. This is typically around 5 GB of data with LTE-capable phones, but lots of people use large amounts of data and have never been throttled. It isn't consistent.
Wow that's crazy.
Why can't networks just make things easy ! Haha

Sent using iCafe app

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
T-mobile has truly unlimited with no throttle, and they seem to cover lots of metro areas with LTE now. Their 3G ("4"G) speed is still pretty good. Out in the boonies, probably not so good.

I've been running at least 100 gigs a month through T-mobile since I joined and they're like "pfft, is that all you got?"

But I digress.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
T-mobile has truly unlimited with no throttle, and they seem to cover lots of metro areas with LTE now. Their 3G ("4"G) speed is still pretty good. Out in the boonies, probably not so good.

I've been running at least 100 gigs a month through T-mobile since I joined and they're like "pfft, is that all you got?"

But I digress.
Do any companies to 4G unlimited because here in the uk 8GB an month of 4G for £41 is the best deal you can get from ee. I would use that easily !

Sent using iCafe app

Nov 13, 2013
Good info here, never knew Verizon had unlimited before...was before my time lol.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I always find it crazy that people use that much data. I am always near wifi so I never exceed 3GB and that's on the heaviest usage of months.