The iPhone is just a mediocre phone, albeit a pretty one.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
What's all the fuss about this iPhone? I have read many of the glowing reviews, and frankly I don't get any of them. The reviewers in practically all available media, have been falling all over themselves in their exaggerated praise of this device. When in fact, it is nothing more than a mediocre mobile phone and fine music player.

One of the key components, access to the Internet, is mediocre at best and most of the time simply pathetic and useless. Over the last two months I have checked out this device about a couple dozen times at three different locations in San Francisco. The Apple store on Stockton Street, and the AT&T stores at 425 and 701 Market Street.

Each time and at each store I have tried to access the Net, via the Edge network, by turning off the WiFi in the phones I was checking out. (The AT&T stores did not even have WiFi available, so the phones there had switched automatically to the Edge network).

In each of the instances it was practically impossible to use the Internet acceptably at all. No matter what URL I tried to load, the load times were either extremely long, many minutes, or the pages would not load at all. This happened each time I tried this, with every phone I tried this with. This thing simply does not live up to the hype. Many times the device would crash, instead of loading the requested page.

And in the Apple store, the speed over WiFi, albeit a bit better, wasn't all that great either.

Now, in the real world, most of the time, I would be dependent on the Edge network for my Internet access, because practically everywhere in the US, free WiFi is not available, and I am not about to jump into a Starbucks to check my email, check Google Maps, or find a thing or two on the Net. The only times I have consistent and dependable WiFi available to me, is when I am at work or when I am at home. Not places where I would use a phone to do anything online.

There are multiple other things that are just plain bad on the iPhone. The calendar, especially when one is used to using multiple calendars as is possible in iCal, is just plain terrible. Forget using Google calendar, because of the pathetic Edge network. What good is a calendar when I cannot access it quickly when I need it? The calendar on the phone won't sync properly, and the multiple colors are gone. Apple should have licensed the Palm calendar.

There is no to do list anywhere to be found. Note pad is a joke, both in design and functionality, it does not sync with a computer. Do I really need YouTube, on a professional device? Besides, on the Edge network, this is just as bad as the browser. Calling any of my favorite phone numbers takes several operations, on my current phone just the push of one key. Camera, ... so so; no video. Stocks, ... I need a stock ticker like I need a hole in the head. Weather, ... cute. I already have that widget on my computer, I do not need to check the weather continuously during the course of the day, and I do not care what the weather is like in Tokyo or Paris. Battery? Don't get me started.

I could go on for a while longer, but I think you get the point.

This thing is just plain mediocre, albeit very good looking. And Steve Jobs knows it. He did not lower the price out of his benevolent generosity. He just isn't selling enough of them, to reach his lofty goal. People aren't stupid, ... except the early adopters of course. I did not pay $600.00 for it, and I am not going to pay $400.00 either. Another year, and they'll be giving them away, just like the Razr. Although I am not sure, that I would want it then, if they haven't fixed the many flaws of this device.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
What's all the fuss about this iPhone? I have read many of the glowing reviews, and frankly I don't get any of them. The reviewers in practically all available media, have been falling all over themselves in their exaggerated praise of this device. When in fact, it is nothing more than a mediocre mobile phone and fine music player.

One of the key components, access to the Internet, is mediocre at best and most of the time simply pathetic and useless. Over the last two months I have checked out this device about a couple dozen times at three different locations in San Francisco. The Apple store on Stockton Street, and the AT&T stores at 425 and 701 Market Street.

Each time and at each store I have tried to access the Net, via the Edge network, by turning off the WiFi in the phones I was checking out. (The AT&T stores did not even have WiFi available, so the phones there had switched automatically to the Edge network).

In each of the instances it was practically impossible to use the Internet acceptably at all. No matter what URL I tried to load, the load times were either extremely long, many minutes, or the pages would not load at all. This happened each time I tried this, with every phone I tried this with. This thing simply does not live up to the hype. Many times the device would crash, instead of loading the requested page.

And in the Apple store, the speed over WiFi, albeit a bit better, wasn't all that great either.

Now, in the real world, most of the time, I would be dependent on the Edge network for my Internet access, because practically everywhere in the US, free WiFi is not available, and I am not about to jump into a Starbucks to check my email, check Google Maps, or find a thing or two on the Net. The only times I have consistent and dependable WiFi available to me, is when I am at work or when I am at home. Not places where I would use a phone to do anything online.

There are multiple other things that are just plain bad on the iPhone. The calendar, especially when one is used to using multiple calendars as is possible in iCal, is just plain terrible. Forget using Google calendar, because of the pathetic Edge network. What good is a calendar when I cannot access it quickly when I need it? The calendar on the phone won't sync properly, and the multiple colors are gone. Apple should have licensed the Palm calendar.

There is no to do list anywhere to be found. Note pad is a joke, both in design and functionality, it does not sync with a computer. Do I really need YouTube, on a professional device? Besides, on the Edge network, this is just as bad as the browser. Calling any of my favorite phone numbers takes several operations, on my current phone just the push of one key. Camera, ... so so; no video. Stocks, ... I need a stock ticker like I need a hole in the head. Weather, ... cute. I already have that widget on my computer, I do not need to check the weather continuously during the course of the day, and I do not care what the weather is like in Tokyo or Paris. Battery? Don't get me started.

I could go on for a while longer, but I think you get the point.

This thing is just plain mediocre, albeit very good looking. And Steve Jobs knows it. He did not lower the price out of his benevolent generosity. He just isn't selling enough of them, to reach his lofty goal. People aren't stupid, ... except the early adopters of course. I did not pay $600.00 for it, and I am not going to pay $400.00 either. Another year, and they'll be giving them away, just like the Razr. Although I am not sure, that I would want it then, if they haven't fixed the many flaws of this device.

Amen, so far it seems money is number one priority. Even the iTunes update talked about at the event was just another way to make more money. Delete ringtones that aren't purchased through Apple. Outrageous. They are a monopoly to their product owners! I hope someone puts them in their place soon.

They are too busy thinking about sales right now. That I think everyone can agree on.

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
I mostly wanted it for the iPod because IMHO that's the only thing to write home about. My company pays for the service and I received the hardware as a gift. I doubt I would've been persuaded to fork over the dough for the device. I was tempted but there were too many negatives for me to take the plunge. The fact that it didn't cost me much is the reason I own the device today. I agree, in its present state the iPhone isn't even worth 400.

May 14, 2007
iPhone not Mediocre -- It is a Game Changer

The iPhone is hardly mediocre. Rather, it changes the cellular phone platform from one that was dominated by ergonomically challenged, lowest common denominator devices into one where a modern microcomputer OS dominates. The multitouch interface alone is a quantum leap over anything that Nokia, Motorola (hah!) or Sonye Ericsson ever produced. Even the pricing is now right in the center of the smartphone range - with functionality that (once certain firmware changes are made) matches any of its near term competitors.

One factor that makes it unique is the seamless way that it interoperates with the Mac. No other cell phone comes even close to the iPhone/iTunes partnership. Anway, I have had my iPhone since 2 weeks after the initial release. It is the best cell phone that I have ever owned, and among the best small computers that I have ever had.

And its a cool device.
:cool:

May 14, 2007
Clearly the troll's are out

I mostly wanted it for the iPod because IMHO that's the only thing to write home about. My company pays for the service and I received the hardware as a gift. I doubt I would've been persuaded to fork over the dough for the device. I was tempted but there were too many negatives for me to take the plunge. The fact that it didn't cost me much is the reason I own the device today. I agree, in its present state the iPhone isn't even worth 400.
... i apologize for feeding them.
:)

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
So if I understand this Zews39, you don't even own an iPhone and have only played with them in stores?

Wow. I have been pretty critical of the iPhone over the past weeks but at least my critiques have been based on extensive real world experience. I'm sorry but you can't get the feel for this thingy by playing in a store.

It does have serious flaws, some you pointed out, some you didn't. And some things you mention aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. It is also brilliant in many, many ways, otherwise we "stupid" early adopters wouldn't have stuck with it.

Ante up the paltry $399 and go live with it before you write scathing commentary. You haven't earned the right.

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
The iPhone is hardly mediocre. Rather, it changes the cellular phone platform from one that was dominated by ergonomically challenged, lowest common denominator devices into one where a modern microcomputer OS dominates. The multitouch interface alone is a quantum leap over anything that Nokia, Motorola (hah!) or Sonye Ericsson ever produced. Even the pricing is now right in the center of the smartphone range - with functionality that (once certain firmware changes are made) matches any of its near term competitors.

One factor that makes it unique is the seamless way that it interoperates with the Mac. No other cell phone comes even close to the iPhone/iTunes partnership. Anway, I have had my iPhone since 2 weeks after the initial release. It is the best cell phone that I have ever owned, and among the best small computers that I have ever had.

And its a cool device.
:cool:
Agreed. We're only a couple updates away from taking its actual worth/benefit from less than 400 to 400 plus..

I still could really use a better instant messaging app and corporate email access.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
... i apologize for feeding them.
:)
I absolve you. ;)

****Be forwarned... preacher's rant ahead... proceed with caution and coffee.

I think that the iPhone like many other technological leaps falls into two primary bins... those that get it... and those that don't.

This is not an issue of right and wrong or savvy and not savvy, it's most simply an issue of personal preference. Subjective evaluation is only truly helpful if someone else has your identical experiencial background and disposition. Granted many people may, but many will not. So with issues like this we have to be more objective in our praise and/or damnation of this product.

On the basis of the OS and the tech that binds all the nuances of this phone together as a package... I get it, it really is amazing and groundbreaking in it's execution and design.

On the basis of practical and functional use, I don't get it when you consider things like... no cut & paste, no voice recording (except third party apps), no open source support (except through third party apps), no flash support, no voice dialing, no notes synchronization, no uniform contact/calendar sync (for those of us with older Outlook versions, I would love to see the Yahoo contact option follow with a calendar option as well), larger keyboard for those of us with thick fingers or at least a landscape option to use keyboard.

So yes there are some things which a techincally savvy user will look at at say... "That's just stupid." and they'd be right. I think, though, that taken as a whole and allowing for the fact that future software updates WILL certainly address many of these issues, how can you not look at this product and say, "Wow!"?

Being a gadget fiend (self-confessed and looking for a 12 step program, :D ) it's hard to imagine how people could look at this little piece of hardware and not marvel at it's simplicity, form factor and functionality. Having said that I fully allow that many people are simply not enamored with technologies as such and I would estimate that it may be because of an under-appreciation of what goes into creating such a device.

In any case whether you "get it" or "don't get it" I think we would all be agreed that we are on the brink of some truly spectacular technological breakthroughs, the type which remind me of my boyhood days at Walt Disney World and seeing the "World of Tomorrow" themes in various areas of the park. I believe the iPhone is a glimpse into that world.

Thank you for your time. *steps off soapbox* :)

josephvman

Jul 30, 2007
To the OP:

1. The iPhone was never designed to be a "professional device". Serious power-users will and should continue to use Blackberry's and Treo's.

2. You're a troll.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I absolve you. ;)

****Be forwarned... preacher's rant ahead... proceed with caution and coffee.

I think that the iPhone like many other technological leaps falls into two primary bins... those that get it... and those that don't.
Or those that are fooled by the Emperor's new clothes and those that aren't.

H

hax

It's a big big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day. It's a big big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away. ;) I love going to it at Magic Kingdom. On another note, currently the iPhone is a bit mediocre for the price. They're too busy deciding on price it seems.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
If your experience with Edge was limited to the insides of a structure, then it's no wonder you think it sucks. Have you ever gone to the middle of a Walmart or a large mall and tried to use your cellphone? You don't get reception to even talk on the phone! It's the same thing with Edge.

Internet on the iPhone is absolutely usable. It's faster than dialup. Kind of like ISDN was. There are websites that allow you to check your Edge connection speed, and my connection is generally slower than average (As usual, nothing for me works as good as the average user.) but it's still usable. WiFi ESPECIALLY at the Apple store, is blazingly fast.

Still, I do get what you mean by the other things. This phone is revolutionary, if it were implemented 2 years ago like it should have been. But for 2007, not having MMS or a video camera on your cellphone is inexcusable, especially for a $600 phone, and yes, even for a $400 phone.

And the fact that it's Apple that did it makes it even worse because Apple has the philosophy that they should be in control of everything. So you can't install 3rd party applications on it. They like to call it a smartphone, but if it is one, it is the dumbest smartphone ever made.

We can only hope that Apple will make it more usable with updates.

But it is still the best phone I've ever had.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
As usual, the most ferocious critics are the people who don't even own an iPhone and thereforee should keep their trap shut.
Criticism in the absence of knowledge is a sign of a jealous and angry mind. Frequent and long-term psychotherapy is indicated.

H

hax

If your experience with Edge was limited to the insides of a structure, then it's no wonder you think it sucks. Have you ever gone to the middle of a Walmart or a large mall and tried to use your cellphone? You don't get reception to even talk on the phone! It's the same thing with Edge.

Internet on the iPhone is absolutely usable. It's faster than dialup. Kind of like ISDN was. There are websites that allow you to check your Edge connection speed, and my connection is generally slower than average (As usual, nothing for me works as good as the average user.) but it's still usable. WiFi ESPECIALLY at the Apple store, is blazingly fast.

Still, I do get what you mean by the other things. This phone is revolutionary, if it were implemented 2 years ago like it should have been. But for 2007, not having MMS or a video camera on your cellphone is inexcusable, especially for a $600 phone, and yes, even for a $400 phone.

And the fact that it's Apple that did it makes it even worse because Apple has the philosophy that they should be in control of everything. So you can't install 3rd party applications on it. They like to call it a smartphone, but if it is one, it is the dumbest smartphone ever made.

We can only hope that Apple will make it more usable with updates.

But it is still the best phone I've ever had.

I had 200kbps EDGE service about 25-30 miles from the nearest Walmart where the roads can make you throw up because of how twisty turny they are. It was pretty amazing.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
As usual, the most ferocious critics are the people who don't even own an iPhone and thereforee should keep their trap shut.
Criticism in the absence of knowledge is a sign of a jealous and angry mind. Frequent and long-term psychotherapy is indicated.
Have you actually considered that these people may not own an iPhone precisely because they consider it mediocre?

I think you should make an appointment with your shrink to see about your tendency to jump to irrational conclusions, not to mention your Mac obsession.

4mula1

Aug 4, 2007
Over the last two months I have checked out this device about a couple dozen times at three different locations in San Francisco. The Apple store on Stockton Street, and the AT&T stores at 425 and 701 Market Street.

Dude, you were using a demo! My iPhone works way better in the real world than the demo did in the store. The Demo's were limited in capability and had all the interference from devices in the store. Plus they had been used and abused way more than your personal iPhone would be. I don't know if its the area I'm in but I have no complaints with my speed. Also like any computer if you don't 'reboot' every so often they start getting funky. Once I realized this I never dropped a page or 'crashed' the iPhone.
Once again it sounds like user error rather than device failure.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Have you actually considered that these people may not own an iPhone precisely because they consider it mediocre?
They consider it mediocre because they refuse to listen to people that have actually experienced it. If you don't like the fandom, then don't listen to the Apple fans. Listen to genuine owners who don't like Apple's philosophy*. Like me.

And I'll say it again, the iPhone is the best phone I've ever owned.

*I like freedom. That's why I like being in a democratic republic, it's why I hate socialism as a governing principle, and it's why I'm a PC user. Apple is like a socialist country. They want you to go to the "government" (Steve Jobs) to get any improvement. The "government" then is in complete control over quality and it doesn't have to worry about 3rd parties screwing things up. But it's done at the cost of real innovation.

That's why the upcoming open source cellphone is essentially the opposite of the iPhone, and it's why I am going to get one as soon as it's out. It has even better hardware (except for storage capacity - but it has microSD) and it's unlocked so you can use it on T-mobile or Orange or any other GSM carrier in the world. But more importantly, hundreds of programmars are right now working on real world applications to making the Neo1973 the best phone ever made. And they will make it better and better as time goes on. And if you have a great idea then if you can program then you can do it. Or you can give the idea to someone else that does know how to program. It's been 2 1/2 months since iDay and Apple still hasn't released a major update. The hackers have done a thousand times more than Apple has done and they don't have access to the insides and source code! Development on the Neo should be EXREMELY swift because they DO have access to the insides and the source code.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
They consider it mediocre because they refuse to listen to people that have actually experienced it. If you don't like the fandom, then don't listen to the Apple fans. Listen to genuine owners who don't like Apple's philosophy. Like me.
Totally agree. However, opinion is subjective. Some people are going to like the iPhone and think it's the best thing since sliced bread others are going to find it wanting and still others are going to hate it. To suggest that just because some doesn't like something they must be mentally ill is, frankly, gobsmackingly stupid.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

I think you should make an appointment with your shrink to see about your tendency to jump to irrational conclusions, not to mention your Mac obsession.
How could you consider something is mediocre if you never experienced it? How illogical. I can tell you're one of the people I was talking about (the angry ones).

The iPhone has the highest satisfation rate of any device that ever came out. Over 90% of users are either very satisfied or extremely satisfied. That's based on a scientific poll. Not on the opinion of some angry people who don't know what they talking about.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
How could you consider something is mediocre if you never experienced it?
I consider its feature set mediocre. The interface looks very good.

Tell me, do you try out every possible car or TV or DVD player when looking for a new one? Or do you perhaps look at their specifications, discard the ones that don't meet them and then try out a few that tick the right boxes? That's what rational people do.

How illogical. I can tell you're one of the people I was talking about (the angry ones).
Once again you make an incorrect assumption. I'm not angry at all, merely interested but skeptical. You seem to have a few anger issues however.

The iPhone has the highest satisfation rate of any device that ever came out. Over 90% of users are either very satisfied or extremely satisfied. That's based on a scientific poll. Not on the opinion of some angry people who don't know what they talking about.
Any device? Source please and I do hope you're not going to quote a random PR blurb when you say 'scientific'.