The iPhone is just a mediocre phone, albeit a pretty one.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
So if I understand this Zews39, you don't even own an iPhone and have only played with them in stores?
Correct, I wouldn't want one, if you gave me one for free. "Played with" is not the term I would use. "Thoroughly tested", would be a more accurate description of the cumulative time I have spent with this device.

Wow. I have been pretty critical of the iPhone over the past weeks but at least my critiques have been based on extensive real world experience. I'm sorry but you can't get the feel for this thingy by playing in a store.
I don't need the "real world experience" you speak of. Or do you want to tell me, that the Edge network works better the moment I walk out of the store with it. Or that I can suddenly miraculously cut and paste, or that I can do a multiple delete in the email program, or that it suddenly has a great calendar, or that I can sync my notes, etc. etc.

Two of my colleagues returned their phones to the store within the return period, because they hated it. One businesss associate tried to show me his "cool" Google calendar while we were having dinner in a restaurant. To his utter frustration and embarrassment the calendar never loaded. After about 20 minutes he gave up. How much more "real world experience" do I need?

It does have serious flaws, some you pointed out, some you didn't. And some things you mention aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be.
Would you please tell me, which things aren't nearly as bad as I make them out to be.

It is also brilliant in many, many ways, otherwise we "stupid" early adopters wouldn't have stuck with it.
I agree. The interface is beautiful and the design is awesome. However, in it's current state, from a functionality point of view, it is merely mediocre.

Ante up the paltry $399 and go live with it before you write scathing commentary. You haven't earned the right.
"Earned the right"? Who do you think you are to tell me, that I need to earn the right by spending $400.00 on something that isn't worth half that to give my honest opinion about it.

I currently own a Palm TX (arguably the best calendar of andy PDA) and a Motorola Razr V3i

These two devices do everything and more, much more actually, than the iPhone does. Granted, they are not nearly as good looking as the iPhone.

But at my age, I am a 59 your old male, I am not that interested in looking cool. This seems to be one of the main reasons so many who have posted in these forums love this phone. The fact that it makes them look cool. Hey, I checked that box a long time ago.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
The iPhone is hardly mediocre. Rather, it changes the cellular phone platform from one that was dominated by ergonomically challenged, lowest common denominator devices into one where a modern microcomputer OS dominates. The multitouch interface alone is a quantum leap over anything that Nokia, Motorola (hah!) or Sonye Ericsson ever produced. Even the pricing is now right in the center of the smartphone range - with functionality that (once certain firmware changes are made) matches any of its near term competitors.
"once certain firmware changes are made" being the operative term here. I rest my case. In it's current state it is merely a mediocre, albeit very "cool" looking phone/music player.

One factor that makes it unique is the seamless way that it interoperates with the Mac.
So what. I own Macs as well as PCs. May I remind you that Windows computers have over 90% of the market. If Apple were selling this phone because it interoperates seamlessly with the Mac, they would be setting themselves up for total failure.

No other cell phone comes even close to the iPhone/iTunes partnership.
Again, so what?

Anway, I have had my iPhone since 2 weeks after the initial release. It is the best cell phone that I have ever owned, and among the best small computers that I have ever had.
I am very happy for you

And its a cool device.
:cool:
That seems to be very important to you. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine with me for you to have a need to look cool. I checked that box a long time ago.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
As usual, the most ferocious critics are the people who don't even own an iPhone and thereforee should keep their trap shut.
Criticism in the absence of knowledge is a sign of a jealous and angry mind. Frequent and long-term psychotherapy is indicated.
Spoken by a person whose byline is "Zea lot" and uses a "Mac Obsessed" logo.

Like I have said before, the technology behind this phone may be awesome and beautiful, and in it's current state, it is merely a mediocre phone/pda/music player.

I will not even begin to try to convince a zeolot, who likes using words like "keep their trap shut", otherwise.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Get a life Zews. You're defending yourself and arguing with people in post after post about a product you don't own and don't like. What is your motivation? Why are you here? Get a life.

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007

Like I have said before, the technology behind this phone may be awesome and beautiful, and in it's current state, it is merely a mediocre phone/pda/music player.

I will not even begin to try to convince a zeolot, who likes using words like "keep their trap shut", otherwise.
Still not sure how you can say its a 'mediocre phone/pda/music player'...

if anything its currently 'Best in class' unless there is another device that does all the iPhone does thats better? is there? well? Or, you could use scotch tape and tape your lovely PDA, Razr V3i (don't forget the i) and make your own 'iZews'. should fit in your briefcase just nice and work like a charm....

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Honestly, just grow up. That's just as bad as all the pointless anti Mac stuff posted by PC fanboys.

Summary: Some people don't think the iPhone is really that good from a functional perspective and would quite like Apple to improve the unit. Deal with it.

P.S. Still waiting for you to provide your customer satisfaction source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2, 2007
Mt Brook, AL
Curious

Since you clearly don't want an iPhone, or anything Apple, what possessed you to sign for this site? I see your only posts are today. Did you come here to gloat about the price cut? I am sure there are web sites that cater to MS folks, maybe even Zune fans. Try them out, why don't you.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
Since you clearly don't want an iPhone, or anything Apple,
FYI, my first Mac was a Mac SE. You were either not yet born, or still in diapers.

what possessed you to sign for this site?
After the huge price drop, I thought I'd give the phone another serious look and see if I could live with it'shortcomings. I also wanted to read the forum to see what other people have to say about this phone. The Apple site forums are biased, since Apple removes posts, that are critical of anything Apple. Here I can read other people's ramblings also.

I see your only posts are today.
I see you have posted a whopping 14 times since July of 2007. A real old timer. Besides, what's your point. I have to have posted a few hundred times, to be allowed an opinion?

Did you come here to gloat about the price cut?
No.

I am sure there are web sites that cater to MS folks, maybe even Zune fans. Try them out, why don't you.
I'm sure there are. However, I'm not that interested.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
if anything its currently 'Best in class' unless there is another device that does all the iPhone does thats better? is there? well? Or, you could use scotch tape and tape your lovely PDA, Razr V3i (don't forget the i) and make your own 'iZews'. should fit in your briefcase just nice and work like a charm....
Function for function, my Palm and Razr together (wihout the scotch tape) match, or outperform the iPhone. Name one function that the iPhone does, that I cannot do with my tools. My Palm can even do things the iPhone cannot do, like VNC control.

As far as general design, interface, looks, integration, etc. of course the iPhone is miles ahead of the competition. It cannot be matched and stands alone. Here it shines and is awesome, no argument here from me.

Don't get me wrong, I would so love to own an iPhone, but not for the reasons that most of the current owners own one. The design, interface and intergration are not enough of a reason for me to shell out $600 or even $400. I need to have the functions before I want to own one.

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
...How illogical...
Sometimes it pays to look at a post and move on. Logic plays no part in many posts here, they simply want others to feel as self absorbed and miserable as they do. Don't fall for it, G!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Sometimes it pays to look at a post and move on. Logic plays no part in many posts here, they simply want others to feel as self absorbed and miserable as they do. Don't fall for it, G!
You're right, of course. If we all stop answering "their" posts, they will eventually give up. It's no fun poking at somebody who doesn't react.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
you obviously haven't heard of modding, it changes the phone into everything you want.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
What's all the fuss about this iPhone? I have read many of the glowing reviews, and frankly I don't get any of them. The reviewers in practically all available media, have been falling all over themselves in their exaggerated praise of this device. When in fact, it is nothing more than a mediocre mobile phone and fine music player.

One of the key components, access to the Internet, is mediocre at best and most of the time simply pathetic and useless. Over the last two months I have checked out this device about a couple dozen times at three different locations in San Francisco. The Apple store on Stockton Street, and the AT&T stores at 425 and 701 Market Street.

Each time and at each store I have tried to access the Net, via the Edge network, by turning off the WiFi in the phones I was checking out. (The AT&T stores did not even have WiFi available, so the phones there had switched automatically to the Edge network).

In each of the instances it was practically impossible to use the Internet acceptably at all. No matter what URL I tried to load, the load times were either extremely long, many minutes, or the pages would not load at all. This happened each time I tried this, with every phone I tried this with. This thing simply does not live up to the hype. Many times the device would crash, instead of loading the requested page.

And in the Apple store, the speed over WiFi, albeit a bit better, wasn't all that great either.

Now, in the real world, most of the time, I would be dependent on the Edge network for my Internet access, because practically everywhere in the US, free WiFi is not available, and I am not about to jump into a Starbucks to check my email, check Google Maps, or find a thing or two on the Net. The only times I have consistent and dependable WiFi available to me, is when I am at work or when I am at home. Not places where I would use a phone to do anything online.

There are multiple other things that are just plain bad on the iPhone. The calendar, especially when one is used to using multiple calendars as is possible in iCal, is just plain terrible. Forget using Google calendar, because of the pathetic Edge network. What good is a calendar when I cannot access it quickly when I need it? The calendar on the phone won't sync properly, and the multiple colors are gone. Apple should have licensed the Palm calendar.

There is no to do list anywhere to be found. Note pad is a joke, both in design and functionality, it does not sync with a computer. Do I really need YouTube, on a professional device? Besides, on the Edge network, this is just as bad as the browser. Calling any of my favorite phone numbers takes several operations, on my current phone just the push of one key. Camera, ... so so; no video. Stocks, ... I need a stock ticker like I need a hole in the head. Weather, ... cute. I already have that widget on my computer, I do not need to check the weather continuously during the course of the day, and I do not care what the weather is like in Tokyo or Paris. Battery? Don't get me started.

I could go on for a while longer, but I think you get the point.

This thing is just plain mediocre, albeit very good looking. And Steve Jobs knows it. He did not lower the price out of his benevolent generosity. He just isn't selling enough of them, to reach his lofty goal. People aren't stupid, ... except the early adopters of course. I did not pay $600.00 for it, and I am not going to pay $400.00 either. Another year, and they'll be giving them away, just like the Razr. Although I am not sure, that I would want it then, if they haven't fixed the many flaws of this device.
Duuuuude, you must be the bigger hater ever to spend 20 minutes writing this long thread just to hate on the iPhone.
Have you ever thought about joining the haters club?

Last edited by a moderator:

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Function for function, my Palm and Razr together (wihout the scotch tape) match, or outperform the iPhone. Name one function that the iPhone does, that I cannot do with my tools. My Palm can even do things the iPhone cannot do, like VNC control.

As far as general design, interface, looks, integration, etc. of course the iPhone is miles ahead of the competition. It cannot be matched and stands alone. Here it shines and is awesome, no argument here from me.

Don't get me wrong, I would so love to own an iPhone, but not for the reasons that most of the current owners own one. The design, interface and intergration are not enough of a reason for me to shell out $600 or even $400. I need to have the functions before I want to own one.

I have been an iPhone user for a couple months now. My previous phone was from the dark ages (an old Razr). All I could do with it was make calls (that is unless it was locked up). It had a camera on it, but it was really slow at accessing and snapping photos. Also, I never did figure out how to get photos to my PC.

With the iPhone the list of things I can do with a phone has jumped dramatically. Here's a list of things I do with my phone...

Take phone calls
Get directions and phone numbers
Play movies and music (music onboard or by stream)
Take and email photos
Jot down notes
Shop (usings craigslist, ebay, or salescircular)
Check traffic and plan routes accordingly

I do understand that there are other devices that do more. But for me, this device has had an impact on making me more productive and wasting much less time. I guess the most important thing to me is that all of these new features are very easy to get to and very quick to get it to do what I want to. If they weren't, I wouldn't use the device. Everything is laid out logically. All of these functions take only 1 or 2 taps to get to and get started using. I don't think there hardly ever a keystroke wasted. Everything makes sense.

I don't know if it's because it was designed in the US or what. But this phone is unleashed now. I'm sure it won't take long for other phone makers to figure out what it is about this phone and will fix the few things that need fixing, but I've said that about the ipod, too. I can't believe that is STILL on top after all these years. So who knows?

-Jeff

PS, I know this is cheap, but one thing you can't do with your tools is see your voicemails in advance and play them back randomly. :)

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
need to real world test it

What's all the fuss about this iPhone? I have read many of the glowing reviews, and frankly I don't get any of them. The reviewers in practically all available media, have been falling all over themselves in their exaggerated praise of this device. When in fact, it is nothing more than a mediocre mobile phone and fine music player.

One of the key components, access to the Internet, is mediocre at best and most of the time simply pathetic and useless. Over the last two months I have checked out this device about a couple dozen times at three different locations in San Francisco. The Apple store on Stockton Street, and the AT&T stores at 425 and 701 Market Street.

Each time and at each store I have tried to access the Net, via the Edge network, by turning off the WiFi in the phones I was checking out. (The AT&T stores did not even have WiFi available, so the phones there had switched automatically to the Edge network).

In each of the instances it was practically impossible to use the Internet acceptably at all. No matter what URL I tried to load, the load times were either extremely long, many minutes, or the pages would not load at all. This happened each time I tried this, with every phone I tried this with. This thing simply does not live up to the hype. Many times the device would crash, instead of loading the requested page.

And in the Apple store, the speed over WiFi, albeit a bit better, wasn't all that great either.

Now, in the real world, most of the time, I would be dependent on the Edge network for my Internet access, because practically everywhere in the US, free WiFi is not available, and I am not about to jump into a Starbucks to check my email, check Google Maps, or find a thing or two on the Net. The only times I have consistent and dependable WiFi available to me, is when I am at work or when I am at home. Not places where I would use a phone to do anything online.

There are multiple other things that are just plain bad on the iPhone. The calendar, especially when one is used to using multiple calendars as is possible in iCal, is just plain terrible. Forget using Google calendar, because of the pathetic Edge network. What good is a calendar when I cannot access it quickly when I need it? The calendar on the phone won't sync properly, and the multiple colors are gone. Apple should have licensed the Palm calendar.

There is no to do list anywhere to be found. Note pad is a joke, both in design and functionality, it does not sync with a computer. Do I really need YouTube, on a professional device? Besides, on the Edge network, this is just as bad as the browser. Calling any of my favorite phone numbers takes several operations, on my current phone just the push of one key. Camera, ... so so; no video. Stocks, ... I need a stock ticker like I need a hole in the head. Weather, ... cute. I already have that widget on my computer, I do not need to check the weather continuously during the course of the day, and I do not care what the weather is like in Tokyo or Paris. Battery? Don't get me started.

I could go on for a while longer, but I think you get the point.

This thing is just plain mediocre, albeit very good looking. And Steve Jobs knows it. He did not lower the price out of his benevolent generosity. He just isn't selling enough of them, to reach his lofty goal. People aren't stupid, ... except the early adopters of course. I did not pay $600.00 for it, and I am not going to pay $400.00 either. Another year, and they'll be giving them away, just like the Razr. Although I am not sure, that I would want it then, if they haven't fixed the many flaws of this device.
Ok, lets take the internet first,when you tested it in the Apple store there propbably was a high amont of traffic their, but anywhere else edge is very satifactory, most pages load in 15 or 20 seconds, the feature rich pages take a bit longer to load, but those pages are far and few between. the technology of the touch screen far surpasses anything thing out there on any phone on the market, nothing even comes close to browsing the internet with the iPhone. It can almost take the place of a laptop if just used for web browsing. The weather is a great widget to have, if you don't need to check the weather every day, then guess what, don't check it, its there for when you do need to check it. Stocks for me is a waste, but guess what, it works for others who need it, the iPhone wasn't personally developed for me or you right? Same with you tube.
There is one feature that goes unmentioned and that is on google maps, you never have to call 411 information again, just type in the businesss you need to know the number and boom you got it, no more paying a buck for 411, gotta love screwing part of the phone company that way. And all the other things you seem to be whining about are all fixable with a firmware update, thats the beauty of this phone, it will grow with the updates. So appreciate the cutting edge technology, or get yourself a razr and stop whinning.