The iPhone is more fiction than reality

oric

Jul 4, 2007
Steve Jobs always walks on the dark side of life, and his introduction of the iPhone earlier in the year is just another one of those occasions. (Anyone who has read iWoz will know what I am referring to.)

What will the iPhone not do:

Before I go into the various functions that the iPhone lacks, Steve's Job's (Apple Computer's) official mantra is that iPhone is not a computer to most of one's questions.

1. It does not have the basic "cut and paste" that most PDAs have. The iPhone is actually a regression in that respect. (Mantra, This is not a computer)

2. It will not do streaming video. Mantra; It is not a computer

3. The iPod features will not play back through any blue tooth features, nor will it play back through your car stereo using the normal "monster cable" to select an fm station. Mantra; It is not a computer

4. No arrow keys to maneuver your way on text. All that is offered is a backwards moving delete key, or you can try stabbing the iPhone screen in order to reposition the cursor. Mantra; It is not a computer

5. Blue tooth head set use to work both ways with my Treo 650, with the iPhone, it only works with out going calls not incoming. I have the Plantronics 510. Mantra; It is not a computer

6. The iPhone is mostly a slave unit of the laptop computer. Most of the syncing is one way with the real work being done at the computer end, not at the iPhone end. Example, one can not create a group in the iPhone address book (contacts), it has to be done at the computer end. Mantra; It is not a computer

7. There is no sync with the home computer of the iPhone widget notes. No, it does not sync with sticky notes. It sort of hangs out there in "Job's Limbo land." Mantra; It is not a computer

8. The iPhone will not stand up to a normal daily usage without having to recharge its batteries at least once during the day. At the rate of power usage it consumes, the battery will not last long, in-spite of the Apple's mantra of it lasting longer than anything on the market. It is interesting to note that when the iPhone was released, Apple also released a formal statement where they would charge you $75.00 to replace the iPhone battery, and rent you an iPhone for $29.00. Talk about lack of confidence in your own product. How much of a no brainer would it have been to put a door on the back of your iPhone and have the user change their own battery. Mantra; It is not a computer. (Was Job's serious that he has 250 patents on this device.)

Job's needs to get some serious fixes out to the market place soon, otherwise the Asian market will eat him up when they bring out their "reversed engineered" versions of the iPhone at Christmas time.

When I questioned the Apple rep on the mantra of "it is not a computer" I told him to go back and review Steve Job's "dog and pony show performance" that he presented at the mac convention, and also review his statement that there would be a delay in the release of the Leopard operating system for the laptop and desktop, because the software engineers responsible for that, were working on the release of the iPhone system since the iPhone was to be a mini version of the Mac OS X system. I also asked about the fact that some of the iPhone's operating system's features were only one way, residing mostly in the lap top end. His reply was that they now refer to the operating system of the iPhone as the OS X, they removed the word Mac, before Mac OS X, so that consumers would not be confused. Talk about a snow job. ( or maybe instead of calling it a snow job, one would be correct in calling it a "Steve Job."

My take on this, is that the phone was not ready for prime time, and that it should have been released about a year later. However, when you can add close to a half million dollars to your profit margin within a week, greed always wins out. Thus, we have become beta testers for Apple's iPhone, and here I thought that this only occurred with Microsoft in the release of its operating systems.

When you hype your product as much as Job's has, one would expect forward stepping to what one is already accustom to, not several steps backward. Besides the lack of a "cut & paste" feature, I have noticed that I do not have the same coverage with my same Cingular account that I previously had with my Treo 650 using Cingular. The antenna on the iPhone is weak, and it drops calls more frequently than I ever encountered with my Treo 650, using the same carrier.

That is why I made the opening statement that the iPhone is more fiction than reality! If you trying to decide on whether the iPhone is for you, WAIT until Apple gets it right. Who knows maybe Job's will wake up to the bad press that is soon to follow this device, or maybe his Asian competitors' will release their product with a "step forward" type of technology.

superbox

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Even though I've had some problems with it I still love it...otherwise I'd be returning it by Friday.

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I still love my iPhone! Even though there are issues with it stated above there is nothing close to it on the market right now! If you want to buy it, then buy it. If you don't, then don't!

hutchensgd

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The reality is great for me, and I love the iPhone. However, if this is not your opinion, I respect that.

Steve Jobs always walks on the dark side of life, and his introduction of the iPhone earlier in the year is just another one of those occasions. (Anyone who has read iWoz will know what I am referring to.)

Before I go into the various functions that the iPhone lacks, Steve's Job's (Apple Computer's) official mantra is that iPhone is not a computer to most of one's questions.

1. It does not have the basic "cut and paste" that most PDAs have. The iPhone is actually a regression in that respect. (Mantra, This is not a computer)

2. It will not do streaming video. Mantra; It is not a computer

3. The iPod features will not play back through any blue tooth features, nor will it play back through your car stereo using the normal "monster cable" to select an fm station. Mantra; It is not a computer

4. No arrow keys to maneuver your way on text. All that is offered is a backwards moving delete key, or you can try stabbing the iPhone screen in order to reposition the cursor. Mantra; It is not a computer

5. Blue tooth head set use to work both ways with my Treo 650, with the iPhone, it only works with out going calls not incoming. I have the Plantronics 510. Mantra; It is not a computer

6. The iPhone is mostly a slave unit of the laptop computer. Most of the syncing is one way with the real work being done at the computer end, not at the iPhone end. Example, one can not create a group in the iPhone address book (contacts), it has to be done at the computer end. Mantra; It is not a computer

7. There is no sync with the home computer of the iPhone widget notes. No, it does not sync with sticky notes. It sort of hangs out there in "Job's Limbo land." Mantra; It is not a computer

8. The iPhone will not stand up to a normal daily usage without having to recharge its batteries at least once during the day. At the rate of power usage it consumes, the battery will not last long, in-spite of the Apple's mantra of it lasting longer than anything on the market. It is interesting to note that when the iPhone was released, Apple also released a formal statement where they would charge you $75.00 to replace the iPhone battery, and rent you an iPhone for $29.00. Talk about lack of confidence in your own product. How much of a no brainer would it have been to put a door on the back of your iPhone and have the user change their own battery. Mantra; It is not a computer. (Was Job's serious that he has 250 patents on this device.)

Job's needs to get some serious fixes out to the market place soon, otherwise the Asian market will eat him up when they bring out their "reversed engineered" versions of the iPhone at Christmas time.

When I questioned the Apple rep on the mantra of "it is not a computer" I told him to go back and review Steve Job's "dog and pony show performance" that he presented at the mac convention, and also review his statement that there would be a delay in the release of the Leopard operating system for the laptop and desktop, because the software engineers responsible for that, were working on the release of the iPhone system since the iPhone was to be a mini version of the Mac OS X system. I also asked about the fact that some of the iPhone's operating system's features were only one way, residing mostly in the lap top end. His reply was that they now refer to the operating system of the iPhone as the OS X, they removed the word Mac, before Mac OS X, so that consumers would not be confused. Talk about a snow job. ( or maybe instead of calling it a snow job, one would be correct in calling it a "Steve Job."

My take on this, is that the phone was not ready for prime time, and that it should have been released about a year later. However, when you can add close to a half million dollars to your profit margin within a week, greed always wins out. Thus, we have become beta testers for Apple's iPhone, and here I thought that this only occurred with Microsoft in the release of its operating systems.

When you hype your product as much as Job's has, one would expect forward stepping to what one is already accustom to, not several steps backward. Besides the lack of a "cut & paste" feature, I have noticed that I do not have the same coverage with my same Cingular account that I previously had with my Treo 650 using Cingular. The antenna on the iPhone is weak, and it drops calls more frequently than I ever encountered with my Treo 650, using the same carrier.

That is why I made the opening statement that the iPhone is more fiction than reality! If you trying to decide on whether the iPhone is for you, WAIT until Apple gets it right. Who knows maybe Job's will wake up to the bad press that is soon to follow this device, or maybe his Asian competitors' will release their product with a "step forward" type of technology.

oric

Jul 4, 2007
I still love my iPhone! Even though there are issues with it stated above there is nothing close to it on the market right now! If you want to buy it, then buy it. If you don't, then don't!
By Christmas, the market will be flooded with iPhone look alikes, and they will not come with the same deifcits as the original.

hutchensgd

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Good. Save up your money and you will be able to have a nice present in your stocking.

By Christmas, the market will be flooded with iPhone look alikes, and they will not come with the same deifcits as the original.

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Just like the ipod look alikes? See how well those sold?! Mac Rules!

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Give me five minutes, and I will change most peoples minds

If the way you compare one phone to the next is by coming up with a checklist of features, and comparing them, it's easy to convince yourself that many other phones are better than the iPhone.

But, this completely ignores the much more important fact that everything the iPhone does it does so well that it makes the other phones look like a joke. Web browsing, email reading, and basic phone features of the iPhone are all so much better than everything else out there that I don't mind the few things that it can't yet do. This is the first phone that I actually want to browse the web on, and read my email on. So although it doesn't have 3G, it's actually much better than my Nokia e61i that did (at least for me). The truth is that the Nokia felt very CPU limited, so even with 3G the rendering was very slow.

I have had spent time with several iPhone critics, and after a five minute demo every one of them has wanted to ditch their phone and buy an iPhone.

I am confident that I could be just as effective on most people that are holding off from buying it because they are waiting for something like 3G, builtin GPS, or exchange integration.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Thanks for your comments, oric, and welcome to EI.com! I've moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

-K

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just another sad person with an axe to grind. It's a cell phone, not life saving surgery. Go out and buy some perspective...

:rolleyes:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks for your comments, oric, and welcome to EI.com! I've moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

-K
I'm not even going to bother to read the whole thing.
Yet another person posting ANTI-iphone stuff in a PRO-iphone forum.
I'm sure lots of people here will suddenly decide that they never wanted the iPhone in the first place, having now read this.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

....and so it begins -- again.
Yawn.

Thanks for reminding us how much the iPhone sucks. Do you travel to other dedicated forums for various products and tell their users how much their favorite toys sucks too, or are we just lucky?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Yawn.

Thanks for reminding us how much the iPhone sucks. Do you travel to other dedicated forums for various products and tell their users how much their favorite toys sucks too, or are we just lucky?
Hopefully he has that huge text file saved and just pastes it everywhere he goes. Can you imagine how much time was wasted by typing that pathetic tirade?

SaddleSC

Jul 5, 2007
Waste of Space

It seems very funny and ironic to me that someone would waste their own time writing a lengthy diatribe about a product that they don't own and don't intend to buy. It seems that a better use of your time would be to NOT buy the iPhone and then move on with your life, focusing your valuable time pursuing those things that you do like. Why bother writing this lengthy post about all of your issues with a product you don't own? What a waste.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I'm not even going to bother to read the whole thing.
Yet another moron posting ANTI-iphone stuff in a PRO-iphone forum. Jesus christ, get a life.
I know... it's mind boggling. Here we have people that don't even own the device yet they take time out of their busy schedules to come here and tell us how much the iPhone sucks. LOL

Here I sit playing with my iPhone thinking "Damn this thing is COOL!". I'm so glad this guy took the time to come remind me I'm really not happy with my phone.

Beyder28

Jul 11, 2007
This has been beaten to death!

How many times are people going to talk about all these things that the iPhone is missing which are going to be fixed with the first wave of updates? I have heard this over and over again, " no cut and paste, no file browser, blah blah blah..." All these simple things can be fixed and will be very soon. As for not being able to move in between text, the thread starter should learn how to use the iPhone first because you can scroll through text and you don't need arrows for it.

I noticed that the people who complain the most about missing features on the iPhone are those who know the least about Apple, the iPhone and anything else that is Mac. These people should go back to having windows smart phones so that their phones could freeze on them and they could do hard resets and lose all of their data twice a week. But atleast they'll have cut and paste! Lol.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Everything Steve Jobs hyped during the Macworld keynote is what I have today with the iPhone. It's even better than I had imagined. Multitouch, Coverflow, the best iPod out there, Mail, Safari, Maps. There's nothing else like it.

As far as any faults, I am very impressed at just how minor the problems are for a brand new device. There's only one way to go and that is up. Apple will fix the problems and add features. Threads like this will become a joke we can look back on and laugh about.

This device is way ahead of anyone else with most features and the overall experience.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
To the last 7 posters (except joe): argue the point and not the person. If you can't, just leave this thread alone. Flames are not permitted. Thanks. I'll leave this thread open in case of further debate on the OP.

-K