The iPhone Theory

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Katoejoe

Sep 5, 2007
As a lot of you may already know, Apple made quite a couple of announcements today. The new nano was nice, more colors for the shuffle are always good, and who doesn't like a new version of the now iPod "Classic"? Apple also made a couple more nice announcements like the iPod Touch, and a $200 price drop for the 8gb iPhone. Now just what's so important about these last two? Well, for one, they prove we won't being seeing a "new" iPhone anytime soon. Allow me to explain. If you look at the iPod Touch, you can see it looks just like an iPhone, a first generation iPhone. If there was a new iPhone on the horizon, Apple would have modeled it after that one so as to keep up with Apple's latest look. Next, the price drop. Why would Apple just drop the price of the iPhone by so much in so little time? The answer is simple, to make room for a new variation of the current iPhone. Let's call it the "iPhone Pro". This new variation would have 3G, GPS, and increased storage space (16gb). The Pro would keep the exact same look and feel of the current iPhone and sport only these three upgrades. This way, early adapters won't feel so shafted because it's not like Apple is giving them extra features or anything like that. They're just providing people with larger music collections, or people that just want a faster network, with a solution that allows them to enjoy the phone that we've all been enjoying since August. This is all pure speculation, but to me it makes sense. Please try to respond with some positive feedback, and please don't flame. If you have any questions, just post them and I'll answer them for you. -Thanks

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Sounds good, but this would make us even madder. So for the same price we paid, they would get double the memory, 3g and gps? I would be really mad then, Id be selling and getting the N95

princealyy

Jul 2, 2007
Here is what i think Apple is doing....they knew their early adopters would pay just about anything to get in on the iPhone (ie. people here at forum's)

But they knew they need a touch ipod for people who wanted the browser and ipod features of the iPhone (ie. ME!) and did not want cingular/ att

IF by pricing their iPhone so close to the ipod touch (mere 100$ difference) they have got their customers thinking... hmmm for 100 more i could get the phone?

Short term ... less revenue from iPhone sale (200/ phone hit)

Long run ... lower costs to build (which they are probably already seeing and decreasing price) and greater long term rev from att paying them whatever it is per month. greater brand loyalty and people who buy Apple stay with them for sometime.

I know it would piss people off who paid the full price, but i heard a rumor (might just be a rumor) that the money they paid might be refunded to them? no clue if that is true...

Their marketing is already working, i am considering the iPhone 4gb for 299 over the touch, but since i refuse to leave sprint, i have no choice (company pays but it is still very cheap ... 54/ month with 1200 mins , text, evdo, etc)

princealyy

Jul 2, 2007
Here is what i think Apple is doing....they knew their early adopters would pay just about anything to get in on the iPhone (ie. people here at forum's)

But they knew they need a touch ipod for people who wanted the browser and ipod features of the iPhone (ie. ME!) and did not want cingular/ att

IF by pricing their iPhone so close to the ipod touch (mere 100$ difference) they have got their customers thinking... hmmm for 100 more i could get the phone?

Short term ... less revenue from iPhone sale (200/ phone hit)

Long run ... lower costs to build (which they are probably already seeing and decreasing price) and greater long term rev from att paying them whatever it is per month. greater brand loyalty and people who buy Apple stay with them for sometime.

I know it would piss people off who paid the full price, but i heard a rumor (might just be a rumor) that the money they paid might be refunded to them? no clue if that is true...

Their marketing is already working, i am considering the iPhone 4gb for 299 over the touch, but since i refuse to leave sprint, i have no choice (company pays but it is still very cheap ... 54/ month with 1200 mins , text, evdo, etc)

CORRECTION! NO REBATE ACCORDING TO ANOTHER THREAD HERE...

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
3G and 16GB is just what Engadget reported as a rumor to be announced late this month.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/where-the-hell-is-the-3g-iphone-for-europe-we-might-know/

If a new iPhone with 3G and 16GB is released at the $600 price point, I'll be even more furious than I am now.
I have to say if they came out with a 16GB 3G phone I'd jump all over it. Toss in GPS (think of how sick Google Maps would be with GPS so all ya got to do is open it (it knows exactly where you are) and type pizza and boom your there!) I'd buy it without a second thought.

I know there are a lot of upset people who are upset about spending the $600 and not waiting, but honestly I'd be a bit bumbed (not upset) that i didn't wait for the 3G 16GB not the fact that I didn't get the better price. But still wouldn't sway me from jumping on the better one.

Sep 5, 2007
3G and 16GB is just what Engadget reported as a rumor to be announced late this month.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/where-the-hell-is-the-3g-iphone-for-europe-we-might-know/

If a new iPhone with 3G and 16GB is released at the $600 price point, I'll be even more furious than I am now.
I would be very wary of buying an iPhone at $399. They are trying to unload inventory and will probably release a 3G version in 2 months. Then the 1st generation of early adopters can laugh at the 2nd generation of early adopters when the 3rd generation comes out. Or is it the second generation?:p

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
man hate to say it but if Apple was to drop and iPhone with g3 and 16gb i would buy it without any hesitation.