the iPhone was the hook.!

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
and now I'm looking into getting a mbp. In the coming weeks. I just graduated highschool and I'm using my grad money for it.
few questions.. Never spent more than a few min. On a mac at a time and Since I'm learning video editing this summer I think it will be great to have. How easy is "easy" when coming off of 10+ years of PC?
relability as far as virus protection etc..
Will I LOVE! It?
is it good to buy now. Or is there an updated one to be released soon?
any other tips tricks etc would love to know thanks!

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
I recently bought a MacBook after owning PC(s) for the last 10+ years, too. Boy is it nice. Everything is so simple on the Mac. There's no crap; nothing but the essentials. I'm still impressed with how it handles installing and removing applications. Five minutes after I pulled it out of the box for the first time I was up and running. I just entered my wifi passwd and I was golden. That has been my experience since then, too. Everything just works like it should--no bloat.

You're gonna love it. :cool:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
LOL - iPhone = gateway drug.

I switched recently (6 weeks ago or something) after many years of PC only use and many years of working supporting PCs / networks etc. I have found the overall switch very easy, and am loving it overall. I don't know about the video editing stuff, but for day to day usage, if you're relatively tech savvy, I think you'll find it quite easy. There are also some good resources around for help - this place of course, the Apple 'switcher' or Mac101 site, and lots of others. Plus, it is easy to run Windows via Boot Camp or a virtual machine - so if you still want to or need to fallback on Windows for some apps or activities, it's easily do-able.

As for antivirus protection, I know many here will say it's probably not necessary on a Mac, but I feel better having something. I have been using Avast's quite good (and free) edition. Don't think it has found anything untoward so far on the Mac side (though it has squawked about a few things on my XP virtual machine where I also run it) - but I feel better having it around.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You will love it.

Like Apple says, it works right out of the box and there is no bloatware. As far as safety goes, I use nothing for virus protection on my Macs and I've never had any issues. If you need to run a Windows app for some reason, I suggest using VMware Fusion - you don't have to partition your drive to use Windows.

Since you're into movie editing, I highly suggest you order the MacBook with FinalCut Express on it. FinalCut is Apple's amazing movie editing/producing application. You can have FinalCut pre-installed for $200. Here's Apple's page on FinalCut.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have had my MBP just short of 3 months after 10+ years of windows. I can't add much more than what the above post have stated. EVERYTHING
is so seamless and effortless. If you are on a network it is detected with no typing a million addresses to get it to work. Same with adding a printer. Unlike windows, it is truly "plug and play".
Things work a little differently but takes no time to adjust and will be saying to yourself "this makes more sense" and you will get more done because mac's seldom crash or freeze for no reason.
MBP comes with imovie, but as John said if you are into serious editing FinalCut is the way to go.
To answer your last question, the MBP's were recently updated with the new touchpad features and now should be a great time to buy.

PS: You will be blown away at how the mac and iPhone work together.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
+1 to all of the above. I made the switch in February and never looked back.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
is there an option to get the MBP in black.. like the Macbook.. aaand is the leap from 2.4GhZ processor to 2.5Ghz worth the extra $500!.?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no black.

and there are more differences between the two models than the processor. You also get more video memory (512MB vs 256MB... which will help if you plan on using multiple displays, gaming, or video/picture editing), and a bigger hard drive (250GB vs 200GB). I happen to be using multiple displays, and being that this is my only computer, i want to be able to use it for as many games as i can. I also have a ton of music/videos stored on my HD as well as a Bootcamp partition, so the bigger hard drive was a bonus (i could have easily replaced it if i wanted, so it wasn't a huge deal)... so i thought it was worth it for my situation.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
ah i hope i make the right choice.. i might just go with the "low end"(i don't consider it low end but whatever) $2000 one
i will be learning video editing etc. hope that one does enough for me

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
and now I'm looking into getting a mbp. In the coming weeks. I just graduated highschool and I'm using my grad money for it.
few questions.. Never spent more than a few min. On a mac at a time and Since I'm learning video editing this summer I think it will be great to have. How easy is "easy" when coming off of 10+ years of PC?
Will I LOVE! It?

I just got an i pod touch, and I love it because it just works, though I am a gamer I too am tempted by the Mac book as I don't need to be an it to make it work.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I just got an i pod touch, and I love it because it just works, though I am a gamer I too am tempted by the Mac book as I don't need to be an it to make it work.
Are you seriously a gamer:laugh2: Like are you on xbox live or Playstation network? Or are you one of those world of warcraft MMORPG gamers?

If your on xbox live my gamertag is my username: projectdarkside:cool:

May 6, 2007
United States
Will I LOVE! It?
I just got a new generation MBP in late March, so I can speak from what I know. First off, it is a GREAT computer, and you will love it! It works well, with no problems I have encountered. Mac programs are in general very easy to use, so you should have no problem picking up video editing. Macs are very reliable and do well without virus protection, and even better with it. Loading and using windows on the mac can attract viruses though, as it is not the hardware that protects from viruses, but the operating system.

The MacBook Pro was just updated, so I doubt there will be a large update soon. I did hear that an update is possible this winter or fall, but I wouldn't worry too much as the computer will be great anyways.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Btw Laptop gamer I've been meaning to ask you to ask you... how come I don't see you in the EIC threads, I only see you in the MacBook and iPod touch threads?