The iPhone's glass screen

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
How scratch resistant is the iPhone 3G's glass screen? The reason I ask is because I finally got my Incase Slider case (in gunmetal), but it completely f***s up every screen protector I put on. So I'm thinking of just running without a screen protector, but the only thing holding me back is the fear of scratching the glass. So, has anyone scratched their iPhone glass? And if so, what did it take? Thanks in advance :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
How scratch resistant is the iPhone 3G's glass screen? The reason I ask is because I finally got my Incase Slider case (in gunmetal), but it completely f***s up every screen protector I put on. So I'm thinking of just running without a screen protector, but the only thing holding me back is the fear of scratching the glass. So, has anyone scratched their iPhone glass? And if so, what did it take? Thanks in advance :)
I was in the same boat. I have the white 3G slider and it was making the screen protectors bubble up because it was pushing on the edges.
I used a knife and a file to trim the inside edge till it didn't do it anymore, and now I have both the DLO anti-glare screen protector and the slider on my phone.
As far as how scratch resistant the glass is, it's pretty durable, but it's still glass, so eventually, you are bound to scratch it.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
mine is scratched. no idea what caused it. u could probably replace it if it got too scratched up!

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
yes, that's what I want to avoid ^^^

I'll try filing the edges down a bit like you suggested Hawk, thanks

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
got it. and hope that works for ya..either way let us know what happens and how it is working out for you..

BTW..diggin the avatar..it would be a nut cruncher to see the baby grabbing a iPhone image and holding it up to its ear!

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I got a significant scratch in the screen of the second 3G I returned for other issues. I'd been VERY careful with it, so I have no idea how it happened.

I use the crystal screen protectors (had just been slow about getting one on the scratched screen because I loved the naked feel so much) and had a problem getting my slider on without messing up the edges. I ended up just peeling up the screen protector while the case was already on, then putting it back down perfectly centered and it's fine. No bubbles, no peeling, no funky messed-up edges.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I got a significant scratch in the screen of the second 3G I returned for other issues. I'd been VERY careful with it, so I have no idea how it happened.

I use the crystal screen protectors (had just been slow about getting one on the scratched screen because I loved the naked feel so much) and had a problem getting my slider on without messing up the edges. I ended up just peeling up the screen protector while the case was already on, then putting it back down perfectly centered and it's fine. No bubbles, no peeling, no funky messed-up edges.
That sucks :(

Well, I'll try this method before I take a knife and file to my new case (which I love BTW :laugh2: )

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well I will say that there is (to me) a huge difference in the resiliency of the glass screen on the v1 and the 3G iPhones. I have dropped, thrown, slid my v1 all over the place including having it slide for 10 feet, glass down on concrete without a single scratch on the screen. The bezel is hellish but the screen is perfection. However, on my 3G I have not once dropped it on the screen and from everyday wear and tear I already have noticed 3 significant scratches. I still won't use a cover or anything but I certainly think it's interesting.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
so, one would deduce from this, that the iPhone v1 is not only better because its unlockable, but because Apple didn't cut corners with it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have the same experience with my V1 iPhone. No scratches on the screen whatsoever. The rest of it looks like it's been through a woodchipper, though.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
so, one would deduce from this, that the iPhone v1 is not only better because its unlockable, but because Apple didn't cut corners with it.
Not that it would make up for any difference in quality of materials, but the 3G design feels MUCH sexier in the hand AND is not as slippery.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
SikShift,

I am surprised to hear that you're having problems with the screen protector and the gunmetal version of the Slider. I had the same problems with my black matte version of the Slider and since I got the gunmetal, no problems. I do know that the tolerances of the Slider cases are not very much at the edges, since the case is not flexible and it slides on. I actually took my time when I applied the anti-glare protector and centered it and this may be the reason why I am having luck. Maybe I just got a good case, but I do know that the black matte messed up my screen protector no matter how centered the screen protector was for me.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have a Griffin Leather Wrapped Slider case thingy "got from the AT&T Store" ... Work similar, however I don't have a screen protector, I prefer the bare glass. No Scratches yet.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
SikShift,

I am surprised to hear that you're having problems with the screen protector and the gunmetal version of the Slider. I had the same problems with my black matte version of the Slider and since I got the gunmetal, no problems. I do know that the tolerances of the Slider cases are not very much at the edges, since the case is not flexible and it slides on. I actually took my time when I applied the anti-glare protector and centered it and this may be the reason why I am having luck. Maybe I just got a good case, but I do know that the black matte messed up my screen protector no matter how centered the screen protector was for me.
I'm surprised too after what I had read, but oh well, I love the case other than that lil annoyance.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm surprised too after what I had read, but oh well, I love the case other than that lil annoyance.
I have the same case you do. I am willing to have no screen protector in order to have this case. It is the best one I have ever had and I have had too many.:)
Screen is still pristine, but have to constantly wipe it clean of prints.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
This is off topic but....... today when I got out of my car I dropped my phone on the pavement.

:eek:

Luckily I had the incase slider and only the case got really scratched. I love this case.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is off topic but....... today when I got out of my car I dropped my phone on the pavement.

:eek:

Luckily I had the incase slider and only the case got really scratched. I love this case.
A case is a WHOLE LOT cheaper to replace than a phone. Exactly why I decided to get one for my 3g. Haven't dropped it yet, but it only takes one time.