The keyboard

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bschucher

Jun 30, 2007
Though im sure its been talked about, i figures i would chime in with my thoughts. Been just a lil over 24 hours with and i must say that the "trust it" theory is accurate as can be. Early on i would watch and backspace every time i saw i made a type.. now i just keep on typing and the thing does an INCREDIBLE job of deciphing my mistakes. The only time is doesn't seems to be on names and such. It really is good if you "trust" it to figure it out. My advice if you are having issues is to simply keep typing.. when you have completed a bunch of words, i assure you it will be accurate. Good luck!

athreya

Jun 30, 2007
Though im sure its been talked about, i figures i would chime in with my thoughts. Been just a lil over 24 hours with and i must say that the "trust it" theory is accurate as can be. Early on i would watch and backspace every time i saw i made a type.. now i just keep on typing and the thing does an INCREDIBLE job of deciphing my mistakes. The only time is doesn't seems to be on names and such. It really is good if you "trust" it to figure it out. My advice if you are having issues is to simply keep typing.. when you have completed a bunch of words, i assure you it will be accurate. Good luck!
im sorry i beg to differ.i used it at the store and the keyboard does not work in landscape mode. in the vertical mode it makes TONS of errors and i have regular sized fingers.

captain4004

Bronze
May 2, 2007
Charleston SC
im sorry i beg to differ.i used it at the store and the keyboard does not work in landscape mode. in the vertical mode it makes TONS of errors and i have regular sized fingers.
rumor has it that feature will available in that next iTunes firmware update, be patient "Chief Biggum Hands"

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
I love the keyboard too and can type pretty quickly on it.

In regards to it having trouble with names, it will learn that. I remember it being in the video that it will learn based on your regular typing.

It's pretty impressive, for sure.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Landscape mode DOES work on Safari, so it's not entirely out of the question that it can and will be made available for SMS and email.

I LOVE the keyboard, it's very fast. If you're trying to use your thumbs, I would advise giving that up, now. lol
Your thumbs can't move with the same speed and accuracy that your index fingers can. I literally BLAZE through text messages. As long as you use at least a little accuracy with your single-finger typing, it will usually hit the right key for you. The only thing that gets me is, I use a lot of slang terms in my texts, like "Gonna shoulda kinda wanna lemme".
It always auto-corrects it to something else. lol
Like I said something about some pictures, and it auto-corrected "pics" to "Pigs". lol

:cool:

Jun 21, 2007
Florida
I use both my thumbs and I'm typing at least as fast as I was typing on my blackberry. You just have to trust the iPhone. Type away and you'll see how even if you press the wrong letter, the right word comes out.

I opened the notes app and I started typing without paying much attention to what was happening. After 4 sentences I looked at what I had typed, and it was perfect. Every single word was correct. Try it.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I Completely trust my keyboard and I can type so fast on my iPhone keyboard I start to we bigger words so I can type with it more

iPhool

Jun 6, 2007
ipheed.com
I had trouble with the keyboard at first, but after a day, I had no trouble at all. I'm surprisingly fast using two thumbs in landscape mode. Not as fast with one finger in portrait, though, but good enough.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
yah

I agree the keyboard does decipher when it comes to regular words, BUT since i use a lot of slang to save time typing as i did on my previous 8525, the iPhone cannot decipher this which is my only complaint because I still make tons of mistakes on this keyboard.

Overal though for the average consumer the keyboard is perfect if you trust it.

Ljp

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I find the keyboard to be easy-actually better than my blackberry. Although presumably since I'm female I have smaller fingers which might help. Love the auto correct-word suggest. I always hated texting on my phone since I'm a heavy blackberry user and I never bothered with much texting-easier to email. However, I'm already texting more on this phone because its so easy.

BobVu

Jun 30, 2007
Is there a way to add your own words into its vocabulary? Such as slang or names? I haven't found how to do that yet.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
funny story. I was having trouble trusting the keyboard at first. I would see a mistake and go to correct it myself. I went to the bar last night and after about 5 beers I was typing fast as hell! I think at that point I was just typing and not even paying attention and letting the text prediction and auto correct do all the work. That really made a difference. I mean I was typing lightining fast. Something that has helped me is not even looking at the text field when I type... Just keeping my eyes on the keyboard and typing away seems to work the fastest for me. Also I am a thumb user... I was sure I could get fast at typing, I never thought I could go as fast as I am able to now... Especally with my chief wiggin thumbs!

saied

Jul 1, 2007
An alternative to iPhone's keyboard

For those who think the keyboard is ok, but would like to have an alternative, an option, take a look at MessagEase (www.exideas.com). you can actually load it in your browser on your iPhone to give it a try!

It is actually designed for a touch screen, and it looks weird at first, but once you get past the initial shock, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Is there a way to add your own words into its vocabulary? Such as slang or names? I haven't found how to do that yet.
Yes. Supposedly you click on the recommended word when it pops up and then you continue typing your slang word. It will add it to the dictionary. I haven't had a chance to test it really, but that's what I read in the PDF manual.

dolo

Jun 29, 2007
NYC
I'm having a good bit of success on the typing. Definitely not as quick as a blackberry given the various menus required to get numbers, etc. That will need a bit of time.

My only issue is the damn thing is so svelte and slick, I can't seem to find a good grip to type with 2 hands standing straight up.

All in all, much better then expected.

Regards,
dolo

listenclose

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I played with the phone for an hour at the Apple store. I was fumbling with it at first but by the time I left the store I was typing faster and more accurate than any phone I've ever worked with.