The Last 10 Pounds

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Alright folks, I've recently lost a bunch of weight and I'm down to the last 10 pounds. I eat well, I exercise, but these last 10 don't seem to follow the same rules. Tips? Advice?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Congrats on the recent weight loss! Can you provide some details about your diet, including daily caloric intake, and your exercise routine? I've always avoided 'diets' and just used the move more, eat less and eat well approach. The last 10 pounds often seems to be most difficult to lose.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Congrats on the recent weight loss! Can you provide some details about your diet, including daily caloric intake, and your exercise routine? I've always avoided 'diets' and just used the move more, eat less and eat well approach. The last 10 pounds often seems to be most difficult to lose.
Thank you! :) I feel great but would also like to reach my goal. I don't count calories right now (I find that concentrating so much on food and numbers just makes me want food more, haha). I do 2 lean proteins a day (chicken, lean cuts of beef, eggs, fish, etc.), 2 starches (a cup of whole wheat pasta, potatoes, whole wheat bread), as much fruit and veggies as I want and try to limit my dairy and oils/margarine. I also agree that diets don't work. I'm never hungry, but I obviously need to change it up to get past the plateau. I do have 1 cheat meal a week, I suppose I could cut that out :( Haha.

I currently do half an hour of cardio about 3-4 times a week. It could be that I need to step it up to an hour?

I accept that there are no "quick fixes" but any extra tips help :) I recently started drinking green tea because I heard it makes a noticeable difference! We'll see if that's true!

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hey Ginny, you need to change up your routine for a while. Your body starts to get used to the same exercises, and foods, and your fat burning also starts to slow down. You need to change it up, for a while....you have to "shock" your body!

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Hey Ginny, you need to change up your routine for a while. Your body starts to get used to the same exercises, and foods, and your fat burning also starts to slow down. You need to change it up, for a while....you have to "shock" your body!
Any suggestions? Should I try cutting out certain foods? Should I focus more on weight training rather than cardio? Is that what you mean? Thanks Chris :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The weekly cheat meal is fine, IMO. I think it really helps with motivation. Attempting to completely cut out all the non-healthy food choices increases the chances of giving up altogether. It sounds like you're on the right path as far as diet. I recommend increasing the amount of time you spend exercising. Try to increase it to 1 hour a day five times a week for about a month. After you lose the last 10 pounds, you should be able to go back to thirty minutes a day a few times a week and maintain the weight, as long as you continue to make good food choices. Good luck!

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
The weekly cheat meal is fine, IMO. I think it really helps with motivation. Attempting to completely cut out all the non-healthy food choices increases the chances of giving up altogether. It sounds like you're on the right path as far as diet. I recommend increasing the amount of time you spend exercising. Try to increase it to 1 hour a day five times a week for about a month. After you lose the last 10 pounds, you should be able to go back to thirty minutes a day a few times a week and maintain the weight, as long as you continue to make good food choices. Good luck!
I suspect that you're right Mindi. I'll try amping up my exercise routine. There are 3 types of people when it comes to exercise: 1) the people who enjoy it; 2) the people who just need to force themselves to start it and then they enjoy it; and 3) the people who spend every minute in the gym wishing they weren't there and forcing themselves to continue (I'm the last one). Summer helps, because I enjoy jogs outside, rollerblading, etc. But I think I need to find an exercise that I truly enjoy that I can do year-round.

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I agree with both Chris and Europa that you could look at increasing your cardio workouts and change it up. What type of cardio do you do Ginny?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I am on weight watchers I lost over 60 lbs since October I am in somewhat of a stal the last 3 weeks. I found stress is bad for me. I also lost some focus on it because I am busy. I do not exercise much (I hate it). Weight Watchers says do build muscle because research shows it will burn more and keeps burning.
So I am at looking at the gym which I have to really take some time to figure out all those new machines.
I still am away about 15 lbs to where I may wanna go. Also think about the cardio as you loose weight you get lighter and the cardio is easier you may wanna get a weight belt ?

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
I agree with both Chris and Europa that you could look at increasing your cardio workouts and change it up. What type of cardio do you do Ginny?
It's winter pretty much 9 months of the year here so I've been doing the elliptical, stationary bike, or treadmill in my building's fitness centre. Now that it's summer, I prefer to jog or rollerblade outside when it's nice out. I love swimming but there isn't a pool in my building and I can't afford a YMCA pass.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Are you doing steady state cardio? As in you run for 30 mins? If so try incorporating HIIT cardio. High Intensity Interval Training - you do a warm up then you do high intervals alternating with a recovery period, usually 2:1. For example: sprint all out for 30 secs then a slow jog for 1 min and repeat for about 20 mins then a cool down period. If you Google "HIIT" you'll get more examples and more info.
Also, do you do any weight training? The more muscle you build the more fat you'll burn at rest.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
I am on weight watchers I lost over 60 lbs since October I am in somewhat of a stal the last 3 weeks. I found stress is bad for me. I also lost some focus on it because I am busy. I do not exercise much (I hate it). Weight Watchers says do build muscle because research shows it will burn more and keeps burning.
So I am at looking at the gym which I have to really take some time to figure out all those new machines.
I still am away about 15 lbs to where I may wanna go. Also think about the cardio as you loose weight you get lighter and the cardio is easier you may wanna get a weight belt ?
Right now, money is a huge issue for me so I can't afford to buy any exercise tools. We do have a universal weights thing in my building gym but I haven't a clue what exercises to do or proper form.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Are you doing steady state cardio? As in you run for 30 mins? If so try incorporating HIIT cardio. High Intensity Interval Training - you do a warm up then you do high intervals alternating with a recovery period, usually 2:1. For example: sprint all out for 30 secs then a slow jog for 1 min and repeat for about 20 mins then a cool down period. If you Google "HIIT" you'll get more examples and more info.
Also, do you do any weight training? The more muscle you build the more fat you'll burn at rest.
Yes, I have been doing steady state cardio. I'll google HIIT, thank you! That sounds like something very attainable to me.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Any suggestions? Should I try cutting out certain foods? Should I focus more on weight training rather than cardio? Is that what you mean? Thanks Chris :)
You need to change your range of motion within your exercises. If you've been doing the same exercises for a while now, you need to come up with a different set, because your body, and muscles have gotten accustomed to the motion, and weight you are using...the types of exercises you choose are up to you, but your body definitely needs change in it's workout routine.

Another small detail people tend to forget, SWEAT ALLOT! I'm a huge believer that if your not sweating much, your not pushing yourself, sweating is the best sign that your taking it to the limit, and I don't mean a bead or two down your forehead....my bosses son is a professional soccer player in Portugal, and also played for the Canadian National Soccer team, I've seen this guy work out dozens of times, and you start to sweat just watching him! One thing he does is wear heavy track pants and a hoody the whole time he is on the treadmill, or bike...he makes himself sweat just by the clothing he wears, not to mention it's good for your skin.

You don't need to make your workouts long....you just need to make them count! You need to change from one exercise to another without stopping to rest! You need to constantly keep your heart rate as high as possible, while your working out... You need to make those thirty minutes count!

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I am in the same boat those machines change big time
But you can just take some veggie cans and do curls
or carry extra up and down the stairs
No need to join WW looks like you have done all the right things
Weights can sometimes be picked up cheap at Thrift stores even pawn shops
Perhaps ask a friend to go with you and check out the gym ?

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
You need to change your range of motion within your exercises. If you've been doing the same exercises for a while now, you need to come up with a different set, because your body, and muscles have gotten accustomed to the motion, and weight you are using...the types of exercises you choose are up to you, but your body definitely needs change in it's workout routine.

Another small detail people tend to forget, SWEAT ALLOT! I'm a huge believer that if your not sweating much, your not pushing yourself, sweating is the best sign that your taking it to the limit, and I don't mean a bead or two down your forehead....my bosses son is a professional soccer player in Portugal, and also played for the Canadian National Soccer team, I've seen this guy work out dozens of times, and you start to sweat just watching him! One thing he does is wear heavy track pants and a hoody the whole time he is on the treadmill, or bike...he makes himself sweat just by the clothing he wears, not to mention it's good for your skin.

You don't need to make your workouts long....you just need to make them count! You need to change from one exercise to another without stopping to rest! You need to constantly keep your heart rate as high as possible, while your working out... You need to make those thirty minutes count!
See this is where I get confused, because people have told me that fat burning is done at a lower heart rate and that higher heart rates are for training/endurance.

It makes me shudder to think of working out in a sweater! Lol

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
The nice thing about it is that it will keep your metabolism up over the next few hours too. I'll see if I can find you some good links too.
That would be great, thanks again. :)

I am in the same boat those machines change big time
But you can just take some veggie cans and do curls
or carry extra up and down the stairs
No need to join WW looks like you have done all the right things
Weights can sometimes be picked up cheap at Thrift stores even pawn shops
Perhaps ask a friend to go with you and check out the gym ?
That's one thing I've made a point of: always taking the stairs. If anyone is well versed on weight-training exercises, I have the universal system in my gym, I just need to know where/what is good for beginners.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
See this is where I get confused, because people have told me that fat burning is done at a lower heart rate and that higher heart rates are for training/endurance.

It makes me shudder to think of working out in a sweater! Lol
Lol! I know it sounds hard, but the more you sweat, the more your burning fat, it's the best thing for your body, in every way.