The "Live" part of Live Photos is recorded at only 720p, ~12 FPS

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I've noticed the Live Photo's I've taken wind up having a very jittery and, excuse my french, crap look to them when viewed as Live. Not at all like the fluid video-like motion Apple is advertising here. About halfway down the page. The actual Live Photos all have a glaringly obvious ghosting to them.

Here is a side by side comparison video I took from my iPad of my iPhone showing my own experience vs. Apples advertised experience.

Is it just me?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Not just you, nope. Not at all.

Apple has, unfortunately, engaged in quite a bit of deceptive advertising with regards to the iPhone 6s line. @Europa spotted another major instance here:

#fishgate

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The actual still photo is captured at full res but the additional frames before and after may be at the lower res.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443452907.889007.jpg

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It's not just you. I've noticed the poor quality too. Not at all as advertised. :(

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

alt.png ??

Either the altimeter in the new iPhone is extremely accurate, or iOS is extremely good at extrapolating (or simply making up) many digits of accuracy. :D

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apparently, there is a good reason to turn Live Photos off if you don't really care for them.

From an article over at 9to5Mac:

"…There have been some reports of customers getting grainy, bad photos on the new iPhone 6s in low-light scenarios, despite Apple touting the new cameras’ improved low-light performance. Whilst its true that you will always get better-looking shots in well-lit environments, it turns out that having Live Photos enabled significantly impacts the photo quality in dark shots. Why?

To take a Live Photo, the iPhone 6s has to be constantly recording video at 12fps. When the photo is snapped, it cannot leave the exposure long enough to capture more light and generate a clearer image for the actual static photo, because of the requirement to continue the video recording. It can’t get the same exposure or ISO that the camera normally can when taking a normal photo."​

Follow this link for the full article.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My Live Photos look terrible. They are not smooth at all like they were advertised to be. I've stopped taking any. What a joke.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You'll use them again when I come out in November and do my running man dance for you.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

$10 says Apples' weren't silky smooth, either. They were probably touched up a bit… on Adobe's After Effects, no less. :D

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My expectations were about spot on. I thought they would be more like the live photos and expected to need to press down for the duration. So I'm neither disappointed nor much impressed. It's cute, but lacking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Its just s gimmick. But my friends and I have been having fun with it. I think that's what it's really about. Not going to be publishing any of this stuff in photo journals or anything. lol

They'll improve it in time I'm sure.

13. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

If it were fluid, HD video when viewed as Live, it would be a killer feature. Currently it's unpolished and very unlike apple. I'm sure the quality is directly correlated to space concerns. They should allow an option for full HD recording. That way, people with the 128GB iPhone's can have higher quality Live Photos.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have a Live Photo of my cat supposedly wagging his tail, but you see the tail in the raised position then it jumps to the tail in the lowered position. There is no halfway point. Even at 12 frames per second, this should be better.

Or, I dunno, maybe my cat knew what I was doing and intentionally wagged his tail in an awkward fashion to throw the Live Photo off-kilter.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Same here! I recorded my cat to test it when I got the phone and her tail looks really choppy as it's wagging. I was shocked at how few frames per second it was. I'm surprised Apple launched it like this. The blurriness at the beginning kills it for me anyway, so I don't think I'll be taking many of these.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It loops to a 2nd set. The tail got caught in between.