The MLB 2012 Season Thread

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Spring training starts today, I'm craving to talk baseball so here it is.
Been a mets fan since I came in the US 18 years ago, I hope for a better year this year, it's been brutal.

Go Mets!

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
Whats "Baseball" can a Brit have a run down? I know it's played in a diamond and you have 3 strikes and you're out and the guy bowling "throwing the ball" chews tobacco and spits it on the floor (seen it in a film) but other than that I have no idea. So on that basis, I'll chose "Mets" to support.... Go mets!

iHolophyte

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Mets huh!
That is rough.
I have always been a Giants fan. After that a Diamondbacks fan.

After watching the success of the football season and on-going success of the NBA season I think baseball should have a lockout lol

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Whats "Baseball" can a Brit have a run down? I know it's played in a diamond and you have 3 strikes and you're out and the guy bowling "throwing the ball" chews tobacco and spits it on the floor (seen it in a film) but other than that I have no idea. So on that basis, I'll chose "Mets" to support.... Go mets!

iHolophyte
and lots and lots of history. Great choice ;)

@bite, I'm very loyal, even when they disappoint me ( disappoint is an understanding) I still in love with my Mets.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC

iHolophyte
It's kinda like rounders and rooting for the mets is like rooting for Madron FC

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Looks like It's gonna be a long season for me! :rolleyes:

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
It's kinda like rounders and rooting for the mets is like rooting for Madron FC

I use to play rounders in junior school I was awesome (Awesome is such an American word) see I'm getting into it. Played rounders, nearly speak fluent yank. I'm half way there.

iHolophyte

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I caught part of the Yankees Phillies game today. Seeing baseball makes me feel like spring is right around the corner. Excited for baseball, excited for Spring.

Mets Benny? Tough season ahead for the Metropolitans.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I caught part of the Yankees Phillies game today. Seeing baseball makes me feel like spring is right around the corner. Excited for baseball, excited for Spring.

Mets Benny? Tough season ahead for the Metropolitans.
After the 2008 meltdown nothing has been easy for the mets and the fans, and I live 45 minutes from Philly so you can also imagine what I have to put up with. I usually answer by putting laxative in their food.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I sooooo hated going into work today a half hour after the start of the Phillies/Yankees game. Total giddy spring feeling and I've only been a baseball fan for a few years now. Like going home... I just love everything about baseball season!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I lived in the UK for a number of years and saw Rounders played. It's really nothing like it at all - that's more of a simple kids game like Kickball over here. Cricket is the closest comparable sport and they are still miles apart.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
After the 2008 meltdown nothing has been easy for the mets and the fans, and I live 45 minutes from Philly so you can also imagine what I have to put up with. I usually answer by putting laxative in their food.
An old friend of mine is in the same situation. He's a Mets, Rangers, Jets fan.

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
I lived in the UK for a number of years and saw Rounders played. It's really nothing like it at all - that's more of a simple kids game like Kickball over here. Cricket is the closest comparable sport and they are still miles apart.
Well rounders I did play when I was 10 which was 30 years ago lol :p

iHolophyte

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Oh, this description makes it sound like BB.
Rounders is a game played between two teams of either gender. The game originated in England where it was played in Tudor times. Rounders is a striking and fielding team game that involves hitting a small, hard, leather-cased ball with a round wooden, plastic or metal bat. The players score by running around the four bases on the field.[1][2] The game is popular among British and Irish school children.[3][4]
Gameplay centres around a number of innings, in which teams alternate at batting and fielding. A maximum of nine players are allowed to field at any time. Points (known as 'rounders') are scored by the batting team when one of their players completes a circuit past four bases without being put 'out'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
Rounders is a game played between two teams of either gender. The game originated in England where it was played in Tudor times. Rounders is a striking and fielding team game that involves hitting a small, hard, leather-cased ball with a round wooden, plastic or metal bat. The players score by running around the four bases on the field.[1][2] The game is popular among British and Irish school children.[3][4]
Gameplay centres around a number of innings, in which teams alternate at batting and fielding. A maximum of nine players are allowed to field at any time. Points (known as 'rounders') are scored by the batting team when one of their players completes a circuit past four bases without being put 'out'.

It's the English baseball where we don't have to chew tobacco, wearing caps, oversized gloves and spit all over each other. (Laughs out loud)

iHolophyte

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It's the English baseball where we don't have to chew tobacco, wearing caps, oversized gloves and spit all over each other. (Laughs out loud)

iHolophyte
You know how much I love soccer, but making fun of baseball is absurd. At least dads can bring their kids to watch a ball game, it's a family sport with great traditions and history.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think that description is pretty accurate. But ... when I saw it played the dimensions of the field were tiny (as in, a pop fly in the infield would be a tape measure homerun tiny), the 'bat' was about a foot long and looked far more like a toy than an actual bat, and it looked like a game very much for little ones.