The MLB 2012 Season Thread

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
You know how much I love soccer, but making fun of baseball is absurd. At least dads can bring their kids to watch a ball game, it's a family sport with great traditions and history.

I'm not making fun of it. Far from it. I'm just saying how we over the pond see baseball. Which is as above.

iHolophyte

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You know how much I love soccer, but making fun of baseball is absurd. At least dads can bring their kids to watch a ball game, it's a family sport with great traditions and history.
That's easily the worst thing about soccer in Europe. The amount of thugs and scumbags that go to the matches and parade around the streets before and after. The absolute opposite of a family atmosphere.

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
I think that description is pretty accurate. But ... when I saw it played the dimensions of the field were tiny (as in, a pop fly in the infield would be a tape measure homerun tiny), the 'bat' was about a foot long and looked far more like a toy than an actual bat, and it looked like a game very much for little ones.

Images for rounders.

iHolophyte

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
There's lots of Baseball fans in the UK. I trying to convince wife regarding a holiday to Boston so I can go the Fenway and see the Red Sox.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm very proud so far about the mets, haven't been fallowing it too much but I didn't expect a start this good, I was thinking more like 3-20. Reyes is no longer missed.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm very proud so far about the mets, haven't been fallowing it too much but I didn't expect a start this good, I was thinking more like 3-20. Reyes is no longer missed.
Reyes is struggling, along with the rest of the Marlins. I'll say this about the Mets, they are a gritty ballclub. Not crazy about the bullpen who blew Johan's victory in Colorado. I'm not a Mets fan, but he's on my fantasy team. 4-0 in 7th/8th is usually a win. The Mets always screw us. Either they beat one of our pitchers or blow wins for Met pitchers we own.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm hoping he comes back. Giovanni Yolardo was able to do it within a season. Mo deserves better then to go out like this...

*As a fantasy baseball junkie, I did pick up David Robertson.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I'm hoping he comes back too, but he's 42. You don't bounce back like someone who's in their 20's.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Whoa, when did he get injured? I gotta go look that up. He is one of the greatest athletes in any sport that I've had the privilege of watching for all these years. 2 pitches!

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Last night Patrick. Mo routinely shags fly balls during BP as part of his warm up. He's been doing it for years and he got injured last night in KC. This is devastating for us, there is no replacement for Mo.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Last night Patrick. Mo routinely shags fly balls during BP as part of his warm up. He's been doing it for years and he got injured last night in KC. This is devastating for us, there is no replacement for Mo.
Just read Tom Verducci's writeup on it. So sad. He is one of the game's all-time greats and pure class as a person too.

Like Verducci's last line in his piece:

"Whether he pitches again or not, he will always be the great Rivera, and nothing less."