The new GPS

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this or if I just have to wait but I was unable to watch the actual presentation so am going strictly off screenshots I have seen. The new GPS feature appears to be limited to a moving dot on the map program. Did they should anything resembling coordinates or a means to use the GPS to view your Lattitude and Longitude or is it a stripped down-map only pseudo GPS program?
I don't need something that moves a dot around to show me where I am. The GPS on my bike, my car and my portable one all do that. I want one that will show your specific location in coordinates.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It it doesn't provide that info initially, I'm sure some 3rd party developer will do something about it. The coordinates are probably available through the SDK.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
two articles with better info on how GPS will work

first one is about how 3rd parties will be providing apps for turn by turn etc and how good it will be

second link is abouot Tom Tom already having an App in the pipeline.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4267938.html
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/tomtom-already-has-iphone-navigation-software-ready-to-roll/
This is awesome, and is, in fact, the only reason that I would buy the new iPhone.

My only concern: Will the speaker actually be loud enough this time around to hear? If the speaker in the new iPhone is as absolutely horrible as the first one way, then GPS turn-by-turn directions will be useless, because no one will be able to hear the directions.

I sure hope that they addressed this issue.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
This is awesome, and is, in fact, the only reason that I would buy the new iPhone.

My only concern: Will the speaker actually be loud enough this time around to hear? If the speaker in the new iPhone is as absolutely horrible as the first one way, then GPS turn-by-turn directions will be useless, because no one will be able to hear the directions.

From what I remember of Jobs' speech, he said the iPhone 3G's audio was "much improved." Guess we'll see, but it sounds promising anyway!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

Im pretty you can buy an external speaker that plugs into the iPhone and can be mounted anywhere in the car which would greatly enhance audio in noisy traffic.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
The headphone is now flush mounted, any ipod accessory should work to broadcast it through your car audio.

Hopefully.