The new gpSPhone 1.0.0: What the hell?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Have you tried gpSPhone 1.0.0? It's completely full screen and the buttons are over the top of the viewing screen! I guess I might get used to it but I would REALLY like an option to go back to what it was before. Also, the volume is ear piercing with no way to turn it down or mute it. On the other hand games now run a lot faster and they look beautiful in full screen.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Oh good im glad im not the only one this happening too. Mine doesn't work at all. In the menu the top settings thing is on the bottom. Then when i click on the rom thing it says I have none and goes full screen with these shadowed out buttons ... real mess ... but I can see how if they get it working it will be great. But i really wish i could go back to the older version as well.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Now im getting errors when I run the roms that say incorrect bios image and some other stuff at the top. Its all scrambled and i have a black screen ... anyone know whats wrong with it?
Have you downloaded gba_bios.bin and put it in the Applications/gpSPhone directory? If not, then you'll need to. If so, maybe it got deleted in the update. I would double check.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I like the out-of-the-box thinking that led to overlaying the controls. But unfortunately it ain't working too well for me.

The games I have loaded don't seem to play any faster than before, and the sound still stutters horribly--only now I don't know how to turn it off. Plus it would seem likely that there will come a time in many or most games where you will need to see the screen in the places you will also need to hit on-screen buttons.

Hopefully there will be some sort of option to choose overlaid controls or not (and still have a landscape option). Actually if this works out it might not be bad to have in the NES app too.

Either way the very best game "emulator" I have used on the iPhone is ScummVM. It plays Lucas Arts and certain Sierra games flawlessly--and I do mean flawlessly. I'm playing Maniac Mansion right now and it's amazing: graphics, sound, and control are fantastic. Control is good since these games used primarily mouse control which translates very well to the iPhone.

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Either way the very best game "emulator" I have used on the iPhone is ScummVM. It plays Lucas Arts and certain Sierra games flawlessly--and I do mean flawlessly. I'm playing Maniac Mansion right now and it's amazing: graphics, sound, and control are fantastic. Control is good since these games used primarily mouse control which translates very well to the iPhone.

--
Mike
I think we're the oldest gamers here Tinman :p

And for the record, Frotz works like a charm too, but I think you need to be older than dirt to enjoy playing Zork. If you haven't given it a go, it's really a breath of fresh air if you've got an active imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well look who decided to stroll back in! Good to see.

And, yes, I guess MM is kinda old--but heck look how many love NES and that's even older! :)

I do have Frotz loaded, but havn't actually played it besides testing it out (those games are definitely before my time!). Of course I also have iWoman loaded "just in case." ;)

--
Mike

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
For those using ScummVM...make sure you check out The Dig if you didn't play that before or even if you have. One of my all time fave Lucasarts games. That and Full Throttle look/play amazingly on the iPhone.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
i actually like how it is now

but yes for the volume... i cant play in class anymore what the h*** i cantmute it.............. i rather play it before when it keeps bootin me out then not play at all...........

so what games do you guys play on it?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
i actually like how it is now

but yes for the volume... i cant play in class anymore what the h*** i cantmute it.............. i rather play it before when it keeps bootin me out then not play at all...........

so what games do you guys play on it?
Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis. Much better than Sonic Advance.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV

And for the record, Frotz works like a charm too, but I think you need to be older than dirt to enjoy playing Zork. If you haven't given it a go, it's really a breath of fresh air if you've got an active imagination.

I don't know if 29 counts as "older than dirt," but I grew up playing Zork games on my Apple IIe! I loved II, II and III, as well as Zork Zero.

I would love to see other emulators though, like a Sega Genesis or N64, but that might take up too much memory...

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
Have you downloaded gba_bios.bin and put it in the Applications/gpSPhone directory? If not, then you'll need to. If so, maybe it got deleted in the update. I would double check.
im still a newb to all of this stuff so could you explain a little more on how to do that. i have ibrikr and have nes games on already. i got the gbsphone app and downloaded a rom and got the same problem that the guy had that you told him to do this.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
im still a newb to all of this stuff so could you explain a little more on how to do that. i have ibrikr and have nes games on already. i got the gbsphone app and downloaded a rom and got the same problem that the guy had that you told him to do this.
First you google around until you find gba_bios.bin. Then, if you have a PC, you download WinSCP and log into your phone via WiFi using the username root and the password alpine. The host is your phone's IP address (available under Settings > Wifi and then pushing the blue arrow next to the network you are signed on to). Make sure it says "SCP" as the server type. Once you're in, you go to the Applications folder on your phone and then copy the gba_bios.bin file you downloaded into the gpSPhone directory. Now your games will work.

And if you have a Mac, I really don't know what to tell you. It's the same process, but there's no WinSCP so you might have to login using a USB cable and the program iNdependence.

spdmbls

Dec 1, 2007
Cool

i play mortal kombat and street fighter and the rest of fighting games hey it would be cool if we had are own wifi circut on thease games like the ds
:cool:

Junta

Dec 11, 2007
i play mortal kombat and street fighter and the rest of fighting games hey it would be cool if we had are own wifi circut on thease games like the ds
:cool:
one of my favorite games when i was small was "Best Of The Best" do u know if its playable for iPhone,