The "New" iPad doesn't have Siri?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CASEACE79, Mar 7, 2012.

1. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Well this makes no sense. Siri is a software application. Why not include it? The only thing that makes any amount of sense is that Apple's servers couldn't handle the influx of that many users. I still may get it due to the screen but I'm on the fence where if Siri was added I don't think I would be.

2. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

The 4S easily outsells the New iPad so I'm not sure how there could be a case for the back end servers not being up to the load.

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Maybe because Siri is still in beta? Apple might be waiting for a Siri update before putting it out for the new iPad.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Nail. Head.

By limiting to voice dictation, it also limits frustration. I know I've had plenty with Siri.

5. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

So Siri app might could be added or purchased possibly 4-6 months on down the road?

6. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

I would be willing to bet money that they'll never implement full Siri service to the "new" iPad. Brings up too many questions like why not the iPhone 4. The general public don't realize Siri is software based. I don't think they'd be willing to lift that curtain but what the hell do I know they named the damn thing the "new" iPad. God I hate that name.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree. Siri doesn't work worth a crap on my 4S. I often get frustrated and disable it altogether and default to Voice Controls.

8. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

My thinking is this. Siri was a huge feature in the 4S. Despite how well or poorly it works Apple generally doesn't dumb down something they touted as the next hottest feature. There had to be some external reason for not including it. Can you really see Apple saying Siri is amazing look what she can do. She intelligently understands you and provides an appropriate response and in the next breath says well she isn't that great so we're not going to add it to the "new" iPad unless there was an external reason.

9. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I'm of the opinion that Apple is waiting until their servers can handle the load of other devices using Siri. Thats why the iPad has voice dictation. I'll bet that when iOS 6 comes out it will bring an update that adds Siri to the new iPad.

~S

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is there any word on whether the iPad's ability to take voice dictation is powered by the same engine as Siri? Although I'm guessing it isn't, since it supports French and German, among other langauges. I hope it isn't using a "cheaper" engine to take dictation, but I'm sure comparisons of both will be coming once the iPad launches lands in people's hands.

Also, if these additional langauges are ready for the iPad, why aren't they ready for 5.1? 5.1 only brought Japanese...

11. GailLA

GailLA Contributor
    Bronze

Some of the features, like setting an alarm depend on apps that are built into the phone like the clock. I'm wondering if that is part of the consideration? My favorite use of Siri is setting alarms, appointments, reminders and meetings. Most of those functions are on the iPad, so I do hope we get Siri some day.

12. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

I found it interesting that Engadget noted they might not have included it because not all iPads will have constant internet connections, but then found that voice dictation also only works when there is a connection (the button disappears in Airplane Mode, for example).

I agree with the idea that they didn't include it yet because it's still not a polished product. There were several reasons they didn't put it on the iPhone 4 -- slower internals, inferior ability to cancel out background noise -- but this new iPad has to be powerful enough to handle it. I believe they will eventually bring full Siri capabilities to this iPad in a software update.

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread edited - prefix.

14. JubJubJub

JubJubJub New Member

I also think that Apple is having challenges with Siri in countries besides USA. This is making it difficult to advertise and promote a feature that won't work right everywhere. In Canada we can't get geographical information from Siri (Google isn't playing nice). So much so that Siri ads have disappeared from the Canadian (and other) Apple iPhone web pages. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other legal battles behind the scenes as well. Until these things are sorted out I doubt they will be pushing Siri like they did when the 4s launched.

15. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Here's an interesting question and one we all don't know the answer to but the idea that it may be possible might just sway my opinion to get one or not. You know how a jailbroken iPhone 4 can have a Siri port using spire but you can't use Apples servers for the request. Well if the built in dictation does use Apple's servers for dictation do you think it would allow Siri requests or can the servers distinguish the difference? Like I said this is all just speculation but an interesting idea none the less.

16. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

There is an app in the app store called Evi. It's basically Siri but works better. Please try it. Obviously it can't do system functions but it's better than what Siri is

17. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Siri uses ALOT of data. The current plans would become much more expensive. Like having two iPhones with Siri.

18. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

In all fairness. I never ever use Siri. Unless I want to ask it stupid questions. It's good for texting while driving but apart from that it's practically useless. Maybe I'll use it when the uk gets full support

19. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Same here. People are always asking me how Siri is and I say "I don't know because I don't use it". :)

20. mancuk29

mancuk29 New Member

Evi is better than Siri compatable with ipad 2 and new ipad only issue it doesn't work via the home button you need to press the app. . However its superb :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk