The new iPad retina display game thread

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by fury, Jul 24, 2012.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Since there's no category for it in the App Store, I figured it would be good to get a thread going to list/talk about some games that are enhanced for the new iPad with retina display resolution (or something higher than 1024x768 at least). I've got all of these, and have played most of them quite a bit. Given that so many games have some sort of shortcoming (gameplay, controls, overly demanding in-app purchase schemes, etc), I decided to speak just about the graphics, otherwise I'd have a novel to write about each one of em.

Crazy Hedgy - a recent update really cranked up the graphics on this, and if you're not opposed to the cartoony art style, it's a lot of fun. Think Super Monkey Ball mixed with Jak and Daxter.

Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy - fly a fighter jet around and shoot at ships, buildings, and other jets in spectacular detail. Nuff said.

Modern Combat 3 - latest installment in the Call of Duty-lookalike FPS line by Gameloft. It runs at full resolution and has some pretty good effects, but in some particularly detailed scenes, you can see the frame rate drop to 15-20. Doesn't bug me that much.

N.O.V.A. 3 - latest installment in the Halo-lookalike FPS line by Gameloft. This one actually has two different options - low resolution with high effects, or high resolution with low effects. I prefer the high resolution. Most of the extra effects I see in low resolution mode sort of breaks the illusion (poorly applied blur, excessive and out-of-place heat warp, etc).

Mass Effect Infiltrator - very detailed character, and awesome moody lighting.

As a side note, I'd like to see a modern FPS that's more like Wolf 3D or the old Doom games. I miss walking into a room, guns blazing, fighting off 20 monsters and running around at 90 mph.

Infinity Blade 2 (you had to know that was coming, right?) - It's not quite full iPad 3 resolution (1440x1080 as opposed to 2048x1536), but it's still a whole heck of a lot of eye candy.

Dark Meadow: The Pact - a spooky story game built on Unreal Engine 3 like Infinity Blade. Much more of an explorable game than Infinity Blade. And for free, you can't beat it. I honestly spend most of the time in this game just looking around at the scenery.

Heroes Call - Diablo 3-lookalike. Nice graphics, built on Unity engine.

CSR Racing - another Unity engine game. I enjoyed looking at what little scenery this game has to offer. Then I ran out of gas. (you'll know what I mean when you play)

Real Racing 2 HD - one of the finest examples of a retinated game I've seen to date. It eschews excessive graphics embellishment in favor of just cranking it all the way up to 2048x1536 with 4xAA. I can usually spot the individual pixels on the iPad's display (my eyes rock), but for the life of me, I can't spot one during a race in this game. It really hammers the experience home. The few effects it does have are subtle and well placed, e.g. reflections and road shine.

Asphalt 6 HD - doesn't do AA like Real Racing, so I can see the jaggies, but it has nice effects and tracks, nonetheless. I haven't tried the new one (7) yet, but surely it is retinated as well.

Angry Birds Space HD - well, does this one even need an introduction?

Bloons TD 4 HD - I'm a sucker for tower defense games, and this is one of my all time favorites. It was recently retinated. Things slow down to a crawl after about 60 or 70 rounds, for some reason (game engine can't handle so many towers/bloons on the screen?), but until then, it's one of the best.

Kingdom Rush HD - I'm still a sucker for tower defense games, and graphics-wise, this one really knocks it out of the park. Cartoony, very well detailed.

Galaxy On Fire 2 HD - I've wanted an open ended space game like this ever since I was a little kid. And now I've got it. And the graphics boggle my mind. This one can select three different resolutions, so it caters to speed freaks and resolution freaks alike. The frame rates can drop significantly if set at 2048x1536 and facing a heavily detailed scene like a space station or asteroid field, but I forgive it for that.

Osmos for iPad - not much I can say except for absolutely frickin beautiful

So there are just a few of my favorites when I'm looking for a bit of iPad retina gaming. Which ones do you have (or know about) that are awesome for the retina display?

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

So I got Asphalt 7...For some reason that escapes me, Asphalt 7 is actually not retinated in-game. It's retinated in the UI, and in the garage, but when you go to the track to race, it shifts into low res mode. Asphalt 6 is fully retinated, though. Why would they go backwards like that? I guess they upped the detail of the environment so much, they lowered the res so the frame rate would be smoother

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Horn

FINALLY! A third-person action/adventure game with great graphics AND great gameplay.

It starts out with intro videos/cutscenes looking definitely low-resolution, maybe they've still got some video files that they haven't converted to 2048x1536 yet. But once you're in the game itself and controlling your character, it's very good. No anti-aliasing, so there's the jaggies which make it seem like a lower resolution than it is, but it's showing off incredible detail in the environment to make up for it.

There are a few glitches here and there (draw distance is very noticeable sometimes, you'll see structures pop in all of a sudden, probably one of the tradeoffs they had to make to show so much detail at once).

I'm sure they'll work it out, but for now, I think the gameplay more than makes up for it, which is a harder thing to fix after the fact. It's a nice balance between hardcore graphics and stellar gameplay. I couldn't put it down today after I bought it.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Horn looks quite good, I think I may have to download this. What are the fight scenes like?

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Like unscripted infinity blade battles. The dodge buttons make you rotate around the enemy. As long as they're not taking a shot at you, you can always get good slices in (Unlike infinity blade which expects you to block or dodge a certain number of times before getting good hits). Just a matter of dodging and slicing, dodging some more, then slicing some more. And the occasional jump attack which is really impressive.

You can also throw a bomb at them that will stun them to let you get in a bunch of swipes. There is breakable armor, and after enough hits in the right spot, the armor breaks off to reveal a weak point on which you'll obviously want to focus your attacks.

All in all, reminded me of boss battles in Zelda, but with only a few degrees of movement (left, right, jump) and you're always centered on the enemy. This is perfect for a touchscreen hack and slash system

image.jpg

Like Infinity Blade 2, it appears to run at a halfway resolution between 1024x768 and 2048x1536, because it's just way too much for it to handle at 2048x1536. I really hope they'll provide an option for 2048x1536, though. I wouldn't mind the drop in framerate just to see this beauty in full glorious resolution

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. jadmorffier

jadmorffier Member
    Bronze

Like Kingdom Rush HD, Fieldrunners 2 HD looks rather nice.

Sent using iCafe app

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Now that there's a new new iPad with a retina display and a beefy GPU to match, there are several games updated to 2048x1536.

On the iPad 4, a few big games have been updated to full resolution (that I've seen)

Asphalt 7
    Infinity Blade 2
    Horn
    NOVA 3 (brings back the special effects it had at 1024x768)

And they are gawjus. :eek:

8. jadmorffier

jadmorffier Member
    Bronze

Real Racing 3 has console gfx. It is amazing, and free!

Sent using iCafe app