The new iPad smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smarty2600, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Does anyone know whether the iPad smart cover will work with "the new iPad?" I've heard the thickness dimensions and weight are different but the other size specs seem the same so it would fit based on my understanding. But does the new iPad have magnets? Currently the smart cover on Apple's website says it is designed for the iPad 2. I really hope it works with the new iPad. I love the magnets as an on/off switch, the iPad wouldn't be the same without it.

2. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

Looking at the part numbers in the Apple store they would appear to be the same that are being offered for the two iPads.

3. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I agree with iPhoneint. The screen dimensions are identical to the iPad 2. Looks like any snap on backs won't fit right since the new iPad is thicker. I'm thinking screen protectors will fit as well.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I image they will fit. The new device is only like .5mm thicker. That's 1/2 the thickness of a dime roughly.
    It sounds like the iPhone 4 / 4s case debates.

5. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

My main concern would be the tapered edges. You wouldn't have a snug fit with a mold back case. I can see most of the book or binder style cases fitting though.

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Thanks everyone at least it doesn't seem that too many people will have re-buy accessories. I'm also glad that the rumor of the new 30 pin cords and everything proved false.

7. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver