The new iPhone 3G is not enough for me.

May 6, 2007
United States
Almost a year ago, at 6:05 P.M. on June 29th, it was a great time. Following the countdown from Apple employees and the tearing of covering papers, we marched into the store to the applause of employees flanking us on both sides. This was a day of so much excitement, and I was almost sad for the wait to be over. The main product, though, was an iPhone.

As I said, it is nearly a year later. I have uploaded and arranged all the data on my iPhone, and I have had few problems with it. I am overall extremely happy with the phone and I feel that Apple has started a revolution with this phone. Mobile devices will never be the same.

It is with these facts that I have decided to keep the iPhone I currently have. Besides the fact that in a few years I will be able to show off the first phone Apple ever made, I feel that there are some things with this phone that didn't come out as well in the design of the iPhone 3G.

I am not happy, first of all, with the design of the back of the new iPhone. From some angles, it looks very nice, sure, but the functionality is not there. It is plastic, instead of the original aluminum, and the curve causes it to not sit flat on the back. If you wanted to set it flat, it would have to be on the screen side.

Also, another minor problem is that the iPhone 3G is slightly thicker than the current iPhone. I completely understand that 3G technology takes up much more space, and I firmly believe that Apple did a great job trimming the device down. As I said, this is another minor proieblem, not a huge factor.

Now that I have mentioned two smaller factors, the main factor into the decision of not upgrading to an iPhone 3G is that there is simply not enough different for me. The software is, to my knowledge, identical. The major differences in hardware are 3G and GPS, but I have a separate GPS and a laptop, and to be honest, I don't use the internet feature on the iPhone a huge amount. I really only use it when I have to, or when bored or waiting for something.

Finally, he battery life will be largely affected by 3G. There will be an apparent difference of at least 2-3 hours when 3G features are turned on, which will certainly be a majority of time. I already find it difficult at times to keep my iPhone "alive," so the negative deficit would certainly be a downside.

Don't get me wrong with the intention of this post. I am not in any way demeaning the design or features of the new iPhone, and I think it is and will be an amazing device. It will again be revolutionary and purchasers will be very content, especially for the awesome $200 price tag (or $300). My statement is that there is nothing huge to swing my decision towards buying one. I will hold out and wait to see how it all develops.

Sorry for the long post, but I am just gonna end on a good note. To all those who are buying one, good luck with it, it will be a lot of fun. If I did not have a v1 iPhone, I would certainly get the 3G version this July. I guess my name right now should be, "canwaitforiPhone." :laugh2:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
You make some good points. I really want the 3G and my husband is using my old phone because he lost his while traveling. So if I get 3G, he can have my v1.

That is my rationale. But you make me think. Good post.

May 6, 2007
United States
You make some good points. I really want the 3G and my husband is using my old phone because he lost his while traveling. So if I get 3G, he can have my v1.

That is my rationale. But you make me think. Good post.
Hey, thanks a lot. It took a pretty good amount of time to post so it really makes me happy to hear some compliments.

I guess that makes some sense, that it will still be used if you got a new one. I am not under a circumstance like yours, but it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for replying, you're the first. What does everybody else think?

Eric Johnson

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I love the original iPhone design. The alluminum, the black at the bottom, and to top it off, the shiny silver Apple logo. That might sound a little cheesy, but i do like it. I think that is better than just a dull plastic plain white (or black) back cover. On those other parts, the battery would be a big difference in 3G. If i'm on the internet for half a school day, my battery drains rapidly. In the keynote, steve explained the breakdown of the battery life. (I forgot what they were) I think he said 24 hours of internet. (or somthing close to that.) Regardless, the internet life will be a huge + on the 3G, witch is one of the reason i'm getting the 3G. I'm also keeping my original iPhone. Just because i like the sleek design.

May 6, 2007
United States
I love the original iPhone design. The alluminum, the black at the bottom, and to top it off, the shiny silver Apple logo. That might sound a little cheesy, but i do like it. I think that is better than just a dull plastic plain white (or black) back cover. On those other parts, the battery would be a big difference in 3G. If i'm on the internet for half a school day, my battery drains rapidly. In the keynote, steve explained the breakdown of the battery life. (I forgot what they were) I think he said 24 hours of internet. (or somthing close to that.) Regardless, the internet life will be a huge + on the 3G, witch is one of the reason i'm getting the 3G. I'm also keeping my original iPhone. Just because i like the sleek design.
Hey, it's not cheesy, I like the original design better too. They both look good but the original design is more functional.

The battery life, or what I remember, is 5-6 hours internet, and 24 hours audio. Actually, internet battery life on 3G will be less, as it takes more energy to operate 3G.

700 Posts. BOOM. :D

Eric Johnson

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Hey, it's not cheesy, I like the original design better too. They both look good but the original design is more functional.

The battery life, or what I remember, is 5-6 hours internet, and 24 hours audio. Actually, internet battery life on 3G will be less, as it takes more energy to operate 3G.

700 Posts. BOOM. :D
Oh ok. Thank you for correcting me. Congrats on the 700 posts! :laugh2:

May 6, 2007
United States
Thanks, haha. No problem correcting you, just be prepared for a little less battery time. I think the extra speed will make up for it though, as you could get more done in a smaller time :).

Good luck.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Im scared to read the whole post. It looks like itll have some good facts to persuade me into not getting iPhone 3G...which I want....

May 6, 2007
United States
Im scared to read the whole post. It looks like itll have some good facts to persuade me into not getting iPhone 3G...which I want....
Hey, it's okay to hear other's opinions without letting them sway you :). What do you think politics are? :laugh2:

Well, it's up to you, but I would be happy if you read it and tell me what you think. I feel that it was a pretty good post with some solid points, but it was nothing too special :).

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I feel right along the same lines you do cantwait4iPhone. It will be cool to see more iPhones in the wild. The App Store is what I'm waiting for. I

May 6, 2007
United States
Cool, great to see that someone shares my opinion. I can't wait to see how it develops and I hope everyone is happy with their new purchase.

Anyone else think they will be waiting and not purchasing the iPhone 3G?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I thought the new phone was a hair lighter, not heavier? Either way you make some valid points. I just wish the new version had some versatility in the aesthetic field, i.e., back color (beyond the white which requires an obligatory purchase of the 16 GB version) and the face color.

My biggest disappointment to be honest was that although it's 3G, the field tests show that it's only twice as fast as EDGE, which is what, 300 kbps tops? Is that worth an extra 10 bucks a month? To many it's not. Why was the 3G version so sought after and awaited if it was only going to produce these mediocre results? Did people know this information beforehand? I know it's not the phone's fault, but your phone is only as good as your network.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
If they could have kept the iPhones original "back" design- that being the bezel- but with the whole being able to be white- Including the face- They would have many many sells just for that small change lol!
-I know they'd have me :)

May 6, 2007
United States
I thought the new phone was a hair lighter, not heavier? Either way you make some valid points. I just wish the new version had some versatility in the aesthetic field, i.e., back color (beyond the white which requires an obligatory purchase of the 16 GB version) and the face color.

My biggest disappointment to be honest was that although it's 3G, the field tests show that it's only twice as fast as EDGE, which is what, 300 kbps tops? Is that worth an extra 10 bucks a month? To many it's not. Why was the 3G version so sought after and awaited if it was only going to produce these mediocre results? Did people know this information beforehand? I know it's not the phone's fault, but your phone is only as good as your network.
You're right, I am so sorry. I must have mixed it up. I checked and the new version is in fact 2 grams lighter than the original. Sorry for the mixup, I will edit the original post. Thanks for the catch.

I keep hearing my points were valid, I am surprised there hasn't been a downer yet, but I am also happy :). Good point, firewire, is it really reasonable to the average consumer to pay so much more for a relatively small difference (small to a typical user)?

Thanks for the replies guys and keep 'em coming.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You're right, I am so sorry. I must have mixed it up. I checked and the new version is in fact 2 grams lighter than the original. Sorry for the mixup, I will edit the original post. Thanks for the catch.
Oh okay good. I thought it was going to be heavier...even though, I think I remember Steve saying it was lighter...

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I am told that the new 3G iPhone is being released in response to several new iPhone like phones coming from other manufacturers (including blackberry).

It may pay to delay upgrading to see what else hits the market.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
After thinking about it for a few days, I've decided that I'm not going to be getting the new 3G phone at this time, for many of the reasons already stated. I will at some point, but this isn't a go to the store on July 11th and wait in line situation.

There are numerous reasons and I've concluded that the negatives outweigh the benefits of the new phone.

1) First off, and probably the biggest factor is that my city doesn't have 3G coverage yet. I checked the map and it's reached probaby 5-10 miles from where I live in my city, but even then if I drive across town, there may not be coverage there. It simply isn't widespread enough where I live to warrant paying the additional fees.

2) I don't use the internet that much on the phone and when I do, I can deal with the Edge speeds. I have internet access all day at work and then at my house, so there are only a few hours a day where I'm not near a computer. It's only if I'm out at a bar or something where I need to go online and then a lot of places have wi-fi. Same thing with e-mail, I check it like once a day and I can wait the 60 seconds or something that it takes to download.

3) I don't care about GPS really. It's a cool feature but not really important to me at all.

4) I'm not nuts about the new tapered back. If it doesn't lie flat and not wobble, I may not get it at all.

5) It's another $300, b/c I'd get the 16G and another $10 or so a month when I'm already paying around $75. Then my old iPhone will fetch probably around $100 or less on ebay considering that a new one will only be $200 and mine is pretty dinged up.

6) I'd be locked in for another 2 years with AT&T which means until 2010. Not that I'm planning on changing anytime soon but you never know.

So the bottom line is, right now it's not really worth it for me to get the new phone. I'll be satisfied with the new software upgrade and that will hold me over. I'll probably wait until my city gets full 3G coverage before I get this, which at the rate it took to get it in a major city near me, will be like next year.

The one thing that I have to start thinking about is when I need a new battery for my current phone, which will probably be before the end of the year. That's $80, and a new phone is $199. That may be the point where I decide to upgrade.

May 6, 2007
United States
I am told that the new 3G iPhone is being released in response to several new iPhone like phones coming from other manufacturers (including blackberry).

It may pay to delay upgrading to see what else hits the market.
This is a valid point again, but I feel like I need to be loyal to the iPhone from now on :).

Hmmm... I will look around and see what other have to offer, but I bet the third iPhone will be all mine :).

Good points, tfg, they are very similar to my reasons so I no longer feel left out :).

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
This is a valid point again, but I feel like I need to be loyal to the iPhone from now on :).

Hmmm... I will look around and see what other have to offer, but I bet the third iPhone will be all mine :).

Good points, tfg, they are very similar to my reasons so I no longer feel left out :).
Their's nothing wrong with being a loyal Apple/iPhone user;)
-Eventhough I dislike the iPhone 3G Apple wont keep you waiting for nothing ya kno?:laugh2:

May 6, 2007
United States
Their's nothing wrong with being a loyal Apple/iPhone user;)
-Eventhough I dislike the iPhone 3G Apple wont keep you waiting for nothing ya kno?:laugh2:
Yeah, Apple will like it when I am the first in line for the third installment in the iPhone trilogy (at that point).

It will be hard to keep myself from getting the iPhone 3G after all my friends show up with it, but I will shrug it off and brag about my aluminum back and how it can sit flat.