The new iSlate ... What's the deal?

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Okay so I have been hearing so many different stories and reading a lot. I need a question of mine answered is this going to be a phone? I did not think so but then I was wondering why are they saying its going to Verizon? Are they going to be selling it like they do the netbooks ? Someone please chime in:cool:

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
i doubt it will be a phone or have voice capabilities. But, it will probably allow wireless 3G data network access which will have to be provided by one of the cellular network providers. One would guess it would be AT&T, but could be Verizon or ?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Many rumors flying around, but looks like a Verizon compatible tablet might be introduced later in the year. I doubt ATT or Verizon will be selling them, just the data plans for the 3G service.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
A required data plan is probably the make or break for my on the iSlate/Pad/Whatever. I'm not going to sign onto another dataa contract for a device that will be an extremely close substitute for my iPhone.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
It would be a dealbreaker for many iPhone and non iPhone users alike if a data plan is required. I do think they will at least give it the capability to access a 3g network, though. Those of us that have tethering capability (whether it's through ATT or MIWI or whatever) will be in a good position when this thing is released.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I hope your right, I do not and will not pay another $30 a month for it. I gave my old iPhone to my son and would like to just pay $10 a month for the telephone part only, but AT&T said I can not do that? really?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I hope your right, I do not and will not pay another $30 a month for it. I gave my old iPhone to my son and would like to just pay $10 a month for the telephone part only, but AT&T said I can not do that? really?
That is ridiculous. What businesss is it of theirs to tell you what you can or cannot do with an iPhone as long as you are not stealing or hurting anybody else in the process? What if you just want a phone that places calls and can go online via wifi and run programs like an ipod?

They probably think you are trying to get an iPhone subsidized and then unlock it to put the service you really want on it or try to sell it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, that's not it. The reason you have to have a data plan with subsidized smartphones is because that's where the carrier makes their money back (and then some), not on the voice plan. No one actually talks on their phones any more in case you haven't noticed. So that is why you need to spend your $30/mo and there's really not much you can do about it. You signed the line.... but hey, you got a cutting-edge mobile computer that works in your palm for $200! Holy crap!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
THAT is exactly what they said to me about the data plan. But they are missing the measily $10 a month from an old iPhone....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's a good point. Once you've paid off your subsidy by fulfilling your contract, you shouldn't have any obligations to keep any plan. I would press that issue.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
That's a good point. Once you've paid off your subsidy by fulfilling your contract, you shouldn't have any obligations to keep any plan. I would press that issue.
You are correct sir. I paid the ETF when i ported to Tmo for my N900 and nexus one. Well I ported my number back this weekend free and clear no contract and they actually did *ask* if I wanted a data plan.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I can almost guarantee there will be something pretty creative about it that will take it above and beyond the iPhone. The new iPhone and OS will have glimpses of whatever it is, but they're supposedly making a "new category of computer" here, so it better not be a large print edition of the V1.