The New Mac Pro

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Concerned about the ability to expand, but yes it is a beast. I still haven't seen a price. I'm assuming around $2999 for the base model. An extremely awesome desktop, but built for people with deep pockets. I am glad to see that desktops still have a place at Apple. Maybe they'll release a matte display, but that's asking too much. My next display (when my Apple Cinema Display bites the dust) will be from Monoprice. In fact the new black Mac Pro would like nice aside one of those Monoprice displays. Now if I only had $4 grand lying around and you could actually buy a Mac Pro.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm still dumbfounded that it's a mere 1/8th the volume of the previous Mac Pro. This is what I call a truly radical redesign--very cutting-edge. They really went berserk with this monster. This is the nicest surprise out of WWDC. I think this machine is going to do for desktops what the iPhone did for cell phones--but of course, it may never achieve mass adoption to the high price tag it will undoubtedly come with. Unless they manage to give it a shocker of a price!

I don't think the next iMac can bring anything as shocking as this machine brought.

I'd be very interested in knowing how much this monster is gonna weigh. If you can fairly easily pick it up and take it with you, for example, to a colleague's house, it would be truly fantastic.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think this machine is going to do for desktops what the iPhone did for cell phones--but of course, it may never achieve mass adoption to the high price tag it will undoubtedly come with. Unless they manage to give it a shocker of a price!
Not a chance. No PC manufacturer has the design/engineering capabilities that Apple does. Just look at the ultrabook market, which is actually a popular market. But the high-powered Pro PC market is basically nonexistent - those people that want one just build their own, which requires fairly standardized parts.

Anyway, like Chris, I am also concerned about expandable space.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I love the design. It will go great on my kitchen floor. ( I got no money so I'm gonna hate for now :p )

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Hope they don't use crap thermal paste/pads on the heatsinks. That'll ruin the whole thing.

Love it though. Not for me, but I think this thing is great!

Pricing will either make or break it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, it better be at least a grand cheaper since they're now basically forcing the user to upgrade storage with thunderbolt 2 accessories.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wow, it's small. Not necessarily a good thing when considering upgrading/expanding as acomichippo said.

T6Nffc6.jpg

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm still trying to figure out if it has *ANY* traditional HDD bays - doesn't seem like it does. Definitely no RAID capabilities. Any PCI slots?

Idunno, I just don't see the point of a mac pro without that stuff...

akaneo

Jul 6, 2013
I've been waiting for the mac pro upgrade for years and I have mixed feelings about it. It is awesome and 'innovative' but at the same time they almost went too far with the changes. I'm worried about upgradability still even though they claim many things can be 'easily' upgraded. FCPX is still kind of a mess too and that was one of the biggest reasons people bought mac pros. Not to mention how powerful iMacs are now. I'm wondering how much of a market really remains for Mac Pros and how many they expect to sell after putting so many years into R&D.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
In fantasizing about stringing 3 or 4 together via FiberChannel connections. That's enough computing power to hack the NRO and re-task satellites!