The new MacBook Air

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I realize that most of the discussion around is based on 1.1.3, but Steve also introduced the new MacBook Air at the Keynote today.

The new MacBook focuses on being very lightweight and completely wireless. It has a 3.3 inch display at the same resolution as other Macs with a full-sixe, backlighted keyboard.

The trackpad features the same multi-touch technology on the iPhone nd iPod Touch. With it you can pinch, swipe, or rotate to zoom in on taxt, flick through photos, or adjust an image.

It has only 4 ports; a USB 2.0 port, a headphone jack, a micro-DVI port, and the magnetic power cord port. It comes with 2MB of RAM and an 80 gig Hard Drive, with the option to update to a 64 gig solid-state Hard Drive. Just like the other current Macs, the Air has the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It also has a built-in iSight camera.

The Air is entirely wireless. It has the 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR built in. The disc drive has been wiped from the Air; movies can be rented from iTunes and files can be backed up via the new Time Capsule. When software needs to be installed, a new feature, Remote Disc, lets you access discs in other computers. Migration from other Macs is also done through Remote Disc.

The 13-inch 1.6 GHz MacBook Air can now be pre-ordered for $1,799, and the 13-inch 1.8 GHz can be pre-ordered for $3,098. Alternatively, you can get the MacBook Pro, at 17 inches with a 2.4 GHz processor and a 160 gig HD for only $2,799. I recommend it over the Air.

- John

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
3.3 inch display and only 2 megs of RAM? Does not sound like a very good computer to me....

:)

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I Alternatively, you can get the MacBook Pro, at 17 inches with a 2.4 GHz processor and a 160 gig HD for only $2,799. I recommend it over the Air.

- John

Agreed.. Air seems like a neat concept but not worth the price for pretty much a motherboard in a pretty housing. Get the PRO!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I personally prefer a larger computer. Don't get me wrong, I'm spoiled; I hate monitors and computers being separate. But I like to have a bit of size and a nice big screen.

- John

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I really wanted to get a MacBook Pro, but held off in anticipation of MacWorld. I'm not sure about the MacBook Air. If it came in a 15", then I think it would warrant consideration. For now, I'm going to remain on the sidelines. This of course could all change when I find myself in front of the thing at my local Apple Store.

How much is the SuperDrive? I couldn't locate it in the store.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Superdrive is $99.

Macbook air is a bit of a waste of time to be honest.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How much is the SuperDrive? I couldn't locate it in the store.
Thought I saw a picture on Engadget from the keynote showing it at $99....? That was before my coffee, though...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I guess it fits neatly between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. It'll probably get buyers from both groups. Potential MacBook buyers will step for the thin, aluminum casing. MacBook Pro buyers might find value, plus of course the super thin size.

Is it me or will anyone consider a MacBook Pro purchase? They are way overdue for an update. I'm surprised it wasn't refreshed with the Mac Pro desktops last week. I thought a Penryn processor was definitely in the cards for MacWorld.

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
2MB and 3.3 inches?

I hope you mean 2 GB and 13.3 inches.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
No, it's 2Gb of RAM. Read the specs please.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
No, it's 2Gb of RAM. Read the specs please.
no, it's 2GB of RAM. There is a difference.

at any rate, i was very unmoved by this product.

completely wireless? what does that even mean? it's no more wireless than my crappy Acer laptop. It just lacks the ABILITY to use wires... for what? a little extra space?

and no optical drive? no thanks.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
no, it's 2GB of RAM. There is a difference.

at any rate, i was very unmoved by this product.

completely wireless? what does that even mean? it's no more wireless than my crappy Acer laptop. It just lacks the ABILITY to use wires... for what? a little extra space?

and no optical drive? no thanks.
I'm finding it less impressive as the evening rolls on as well - no optical disc, one USB port, and a non-removable battery are pretty big trade-offs for the 'thinnest' label ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
they should have announced these last week, and unveiled the Mac Pros today. Dual Quad Cores have a much bigger "wow" factor... to me, at least.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
they should have announced these last week, and unveiled the Mac Pros today. Dual Quad Cores have a much bigger "wow" factor... to me, at least.
I think that might be true - the Air feels a little like the old jokes about Chinese food and being hungry again an hour later - it was super-thin and pretty during the speech, but an hour later when you look at its specs ...

iBen

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
My vision must be going really bad because i don't see any speakers anywhere on the thing. Except those little speakers by the isight camera, and im guessing those aren't really good sounding.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Woops! Small b error!

Yes, it's 2GB not 2Gb.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the more I think about it, themore I realize this thing is Apple's most expensive accessory... because you really can't use it without another mac.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
Is it me or will anyone consider a MacBook Pro purchase? They are way overdue for an update. I'm surprised it wasn't refreshed with the Mac Pro desktops last week. I thought a Penryn processor was definitely in the cards for MacWorld.
I'm in the same boat, Chris. I've been way overdue for a new laptop for months now, and I had my heart set on a MBP. I had decided to wait until Macworld for an update, and if not to go ahead and buy...now some people say there will be a quiet update post-Macworld, but then others say "wait until Feb, updates sure to come in Feb"

...or June.

I know I'd be happy with a currnet model, but if it's only ONE more month to wait... gaahhh, what to do.