The New Palm Pre - First Real iPhone Competitor?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Or at least the first smartphone to give the Apple folks some stuff to think about maybe.

Anyone else follow the Palm event live blogs? I did via everythingtreo, Engadget, and gdgt.com. Here are some of the early reactions:

Ryan Block at gdgt.com: Wow. Well, that was kind of amazing, and I don’t say that very often. Yes, we are lacking a LOT of really important details, but there’s little doubt that Palm is back in a big way, and that this OS and device has the potential to make up for all their missteps over the last five years.

He presses the center button and all the apps zoom out to a scrollable set of smaller windows, like tabs in iPhone safari. – Engadget live blog Quick launch from anywhere, it brings up a launcher "wave" across the screen. This is pretty impressive stuff. - Engadget live blog

very iPhone esque. Launcher comes up over any application without leaving it. - Engadget live blog

Oh Palm is freaking killing it right now. Sorry Storm, sorry G1, et al. The Palm pre is the first true iPhone competitor. - Andru Edwards of Gear Live

What do you all think?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Or at least the first smartphone to give the Apple folks some stuff to think about maybe.

Anyone else follow the Palm event live blogs? I did via everythingtreo, Engadget, and gdgt.com. Here are some of the early reactions:

Ryan Block at gdgt.com: Wow. Well, that was kind of amazing, and I don’t say that very often. Yes, we are lacking a LOT of really important details, but there’s little doubt that Palm is back in a big way, and that this OS and device has the potential to make up for all their missteps over the last five years.

He presses the center button and all the apps zoom out to a scrollable set of smaller windows, like tabs in iPhone safari. – Engadget live blog Quick launch from anywhere, it brings up a launcher "wave" across the screen. This is pretty impressive stuff. - Engadget live blog

very iPhone esque. Launcher comes up over any application without leaving it. - Engadget live blog

Oh Palm is freaking killing it right now. Sorry Storm, sorry G1, et al. The Palm pre is the first true iPhone competitor. - Andru Edwards of Gear Live

What do you all think?
I agree, being a BB fan I'm amazed by this phone. I may get grilled over at EB for this but I think the pre blows the Storm out of the water. I was very amazed by it, but lets see how it performs upon launch. My biggest gripe-CDMA only at this point :/

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree, being a BB fan I'm amazed by this phone. I may get grilled over at EB for this but I think the pre blows the Storm out of the water. I was very amazed by it, but lets see how it performs upon launch. My biggest gripe-CDMA only at this point :/
Yeah, seeing what they actually deliver (and when) and how it performs will be fascinating this year. They didn't name a price, and were vague about when it will launch (first half 2009) - which is maybe a bad omen given Palm's recent track record.

I think ideas-wise, Palm is maybe the one company to give Apple real food for thought - not so sure about overall businesss wise though ...

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I checked out the video at http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html#video and I have to say it's blech! Palm has been doing the Treo since like forever and the 755p was buggy beyond belief! I don't have faith in Palm that they will pull this phone off without it being the biggest disaster ever since it's new ground for them.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Of course you can continue to discuss the Palm Pre here, but I would encourage those considering the Palm Pre to visit the Palm Pre forums set up on Everything Treo.

It does look amazing. Quite honestly, it looks like the iPhone OS tweaked with a few cool features. Cards and Synergy are very awesome. They have also done great things with notifications.

BTW, Block was sitting in the same row as me. Guy is a tech rockstar. Rolled in with Veronica Belmont by his side (who almost didn't get in).

I flew solo. First live blog = EPIC Fail. Thanks AT&T, you &^%$%^^^^&&. Wireless card sucks. Did run into macgirl!:laugh2:

Last edited:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Sorry you had troubles during the live blogging Chris. I was on your site and Engadget and eventually Block's site too. Even posted two comments on yours but don't think they made it through :(

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Live and learn. I had fun with it and will learn from it. Next time I'm using Sprint. Of course, then people with AT&T will have great coverage. I also did it as a one-man show. Most of the big guys have help. Someone is shooting photogs, while the other manages the live blog. Some people had awesome connections. Honestly, I was lucky that I was able to do any of the live blog. I had zero network connectivity for 1/2 hour up to the event. I was cursing AT&T. (and still am).:mad:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Of course you can continue to discuss the Palm Pre here, but I would encourage those considering the Palm Pre to visit the Palm Pre forums set up on Everything Treo.

It does look amazing. Quite honestly, it looks like the iPhone OS tweaked with a few cool features. Cards and Synergy are very awesome. They have also done great things with notifications.

BTW, Block was sitting in the same row as me. Guy is a tech rockstar. Rolled in with Veronica Belmont by his side (who almost didn't get in).

I flew solo. First live blog = EPIC Fail. Thanks AT&T, you &^%$%^^^^&&. Wireless card sucks. Did run into macgirl!:laugh2:
Chris,
Had you of had a Sprint Air Card your live blog would have been a success. No one beats Sprint when it comes to blaziing fast data, no one! Mark

AT&T Sucks big time.

Glad other than that you enjoyed yourself....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Live and learn. I had fun with it and will learn from it. Next time I'm using Sprint. Of course, then people with AT&T will have great coverage. I also did it as a one-man show. Most of the big guys have help. Someone is shooting photogs, while the other manages the live blog. Some people had awesome connections. Honestly, I was lucky that I was able to do any of the live blog. I had zero network connectivity for 1/2 hour up to the event. I was cursing AT&T. (and still am).:mad:
Glad you had fun. I think it was a more than creditable effort given you were solo, and had the connectivity issues etc. I stuck with it through the end, even with the gap in the middle ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Very impressive. It won't replace my iPhone, but the UI (as well a just about everything else about the device) is by far the best we've seen out of an iPhone competitor. Maybe this will encourage Apple to bring us some nice stuff in the next update or two.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris,
Had you of had a Sprint Air Card your live blog would have been a success. No one beats Sprint when it comes to blaziing fast data, no one! Mark

AT&T Sucks big time.

Glad other than that you enjoyed yourself....:)
Learned that when I saw all the Sprint cards around me. People with AT&T cards were asking for a mysterious WiFi password. It never came.

Funny, I was in the Sprint store first when shopping for a wireless card. My AT&T card is getting returned first thing Monday. I might actually throw it at them, but I don't think I'd get my money back if I did that.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Very impressive. It won't replace my iPhone, but the UI (as well a just about everything else about the device) is by far the best we've seen out of an iPhone competitor. Maybe this will encourage Apple to bring us some nice stuff in the next update or two.
I have to say, the one feature that stood out was "cards". You can switch between apps with easy. Think Command-Tab on your mac, but on your phone.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Learned that when I saw all the Sprint cards around me. People with AT&T cards were asking for a mysterious WiFi password. It never came.

Funny, I was in the Sprint store first when shopping for a wireless card. My AT&T card is getting returned first thing Monday. I might actually throw it at them, but I don't think I'd get my money back if I did that.
Make sure you get the Sprint Card that is 4G (WiMax) capable so you won't have to buy a new one in a few months when 4G is fully rolled out. Plus I would deal with phone sales verses "Brick & Mortar". Start a businesss account you get all kinds of perks. Last but not least insist on the 59.99 unlimited plan. Sprint charges 89.99 unlimited data if you have no voice plan. Say the only way you will purchase service is if you can get the 59.99 unlimited plan. Sprint will do it. My cash saving tip for the day in line with my motto. Never pay full price. :). Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Make sure you get the Sprint Card that is 4G (WiMax) capable so you won't have to buy a new one in a few months when 4G is fully rolled out. Plus I would deal with phone sales verses "Brick & Mortar". Start a businesss account you get all kinds of perks. Last but not least insist on the 59.99 unlimited plan. Sprint charges 89.99 unlimited data if you have no voice plan. Say the only way you will purchase service is if you can get the 59.99 unlimited plan. Sprint will do it. My cash saving tip for the day in line with my motto. Never pay full price. :). Mark
BTW: Sprint gives the card free to businesss customers with a two year contract (Telephone Sales Only). You will love it. I upload very large RAW photograph files in seconds.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Palm still has the monumental task of getting customers to believe in them again. The bug laden disasters the last few Treo's have been have scared customers away from Palm. It will be interesting to see Palm's media blitz to regain those customers. Personally I think it may be to much to late. I vowed years ago to never buy a Palm device ever again. I'm wondering will this Palm offering change my mind. Mark

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yeah, those are amongst the reasons I think Palm is a worthy iPhone rival ideas-wise, but probably not so much in other ways. That lousy recent track record, the stigma of how long Garnet OS was left around to become a dinosaur, and their inability to deliver lately, all bode badly ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think it's sad that a simple thing like a task manager has us iPhone users going gaga but, yeah... that's pretty killer! I'd love me some multitasking on my phone!

I'm not really a fan of the rounded shape. Haven't seen a sideways shot either... isn't it kinda thick?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think it's sad that a simple thing like a task manager has us iPhone users going gaga but, yeah... that's pretty killer! I'd love me some multitasking on my phone!

I'm not really a fan of the rounded shape. Haven't seen a sideways shot either... isn't it kinda thick?
I agree with Linc - the not so sad thing is that I feel genuinely hopeful that this might just spur Apple to up the priority on some things (like C&P, notifcations, maybe even cleverer way to switch between apps etc) - kinda embarrass them into action.

I don't think it looks great hardware-wise either ...