The New SMS mod, vibrate til read feature

H

Hayesimus

So it makes the iPhone vibrate once every 15 seconds until the text message is read. My question is this, can the length of time between iterations be altered? My concern is that 15 seconds isn't much time and when I'm working it could take an hour before I'm able to look at the message to end the alert. In which case this would probably run my battery down quite a bit. Also, if my iPhone was on the nightstand and I'm in the other room, I may not hear it buzzing. So can the length between the buzz be longer AND could it be adapted to replay the audio alert when it buzzes too. Then it would be much more useful to me.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
This sounds quite useful. It annoys me on the iPhone that, if you miss a call or a text when you're away from your phone you have no way of knowing. Just a simple blinking blinking led would have been nice.

I bet you can alter the time even if there's no user setting for it - can you point me at the application and I'll see if it's easily patchable.

H

Hayesimus

it is by Natetrue, its called SMSNotify and the source is Ste Packaging. That help?

Edit: Yes, I TOO wish there was some little blinking light. I mean seriously, some things Apple leaves off... tisk tisk lol

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
it is by Natetrue, its called SMSNotify and the source is Ste Packaging. That help?

Edit: Yes, I TOO wish there was some little blinking light. I mean seriously, some things Apple leaves off... tisk tisk lol
lol! This is the simplest little application in the world. What delay would you like Hayes? I can either hard-code it and send you a modified file , or maybe make you a little control panel (but this will take a bit more time)

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
a control panel? like so i could change the settings at will?
Yes - that's my thinking. Nate's application is just two little applications, one that queries the phone's message database, and one that does a vibrate.

I'll have a play with a third application with some settings that can talk to this one. I may jailbreak my main phone just for this feature.

In the mean time do you want a version with a different time delay?

H

Hayesimus

mmm no, i think i will wait. Anticipation is the best part. lol. A control panel would be superb! But what about replaying the audio alert? See anyway of adapting the application to accomplish this? Wow, i'm surprised you haven't receive Honorary Genius Status by now haha.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
mmm no, i think i will wait. Anticipation is the best part. lol. A control panel would be superb! But what about replaying the audio alert? See anyway of adapting the application to accomplish this? Wow, i'm surprised you haven't receive Honorary Genius Status by now haha.
No - this is really basic stuff honest! I can play a bit of blues guitar, but there's a big gap before you get to Robert Cray.

H

Hayesimus

Haha, well, I can barely play Guitar Hero on easy on SLOW lol. My friend just bought that game for his Wii and yeah... so much for my dream of playing in a band...

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Wow, this is the first I'm hearing of this and think would be awesome...if we had some control over it. I always seem to miss texts with the low volume and single ultra-quick vibrate alert.

H

Hayesimus

yes. agreed even after changing my alert to something louder, if you miss it the first time you'd never know it. Brill, did you figure a way to have it replay the sound alert also?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
yes. agreed even after changing my alert to something louder, if you miss it the first time you'd never know it. Brill, did you figure a way to have it replay the sound alert also?
Not sure. I've been playing with services in the iPhone mostly. All my work is server stuff and I don't do UI ever. I could ask one of my lads at work to do it for me, that'd be easy, but they'd be laughing at the old dinosaur for a month!

I'll squeeze something out though.

H

Hayesimus

Excellent. I think vibrate with audio alert and a control panel on top of that would be one of the best mods in a while. Probably be a nice addition to Customize or Boss prefs.

H

Hayesimus

just had a thought. I don't know how complicated this would make things, but perhaps have a setting to determine how many times it will go off. Like you could set it to go off every (X) amount of seconds for (X) amount of time. That way you wouldn't let your battery run down if you were away from your phone for an extended period of time. that would be a nice addition to the control panel. The more settings and options, the better i think.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
yeah i was wondering where the heck the ui was lol i downloaded and saw nothing i would love settings to turn it on or off and change the 15 seconds to whatever i want....im glad your taking this on brill i was gunna try to but i know nothing about coding so it would never have gotten done lol

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
agreed. let's hear it for Brill!
You mean let's hear it for ME! :p

This sounds really cool, ME. You said the code was in two parts - one that queries the DB and one that does the vibrate. Does this mean the query portion could see unread email and voicemail as well as SMS? If so, this would be an obvious potential enhancement for the "front end" - i.e. to select which (or all) categories on which to perform the reminder.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
You mean let's hear it for ME! :p

This sounds really cool, ME. You said the code was in two parts - one that queries the DB and one that does the vibrate. Does this mean the query portion could see unread email and voicemail as well as SMS? If so, this would be an obvious potential enhancement for the "front end" - i.e. to select which (or all) categories on which to perform the reminder.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
I bet it does. all the program is is a bash script that does an sql query on the phone database - and then does a vibrate if there are sms unviewed. then sleep for x seconds.

I've not looked but I bet the unread email and voicemail database would be there as well. Having great fun with building a UI for it, It might take a while because real work takes over at this time of the year.