The Office: Better to go out on top?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I watched the new episode lastnight and was left wondering why NBC feels the need to draw this series out. We know its to fill its thursday night void since losing Friends and Sienfeld, but why not cook up something fresh?

I feel the format is getting stale, and the writing is actually "trying to hard" now to live up to the standard set with the first seasons. The long build ups for sight gags like Michael's plasma television are old hat now, we've been through this already in the previous seasons time and time again.

Now I'm sure my opinion on the matter won't be a popular one here, but try to look at this subjectively. There was just so much content thrown in to evoke a laugh, that not much of it worked very well together.

My Private Interview:

"Its like Michael and Janet are playing a game, its not called lets see how uncomfortable they can make their guests, but how bored can make their viewers.. I mean who's the straight man in this comedy team? The idiot or the psycho? Look if you want a laugh, give me something I haven't seen before, y'know? Thank god for TiVO."

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Frankly, I'm with you.

I've watched the show on and off since the beginning, but lately it's been more off. I've never really taken to shows where the style of writing and production overpower the actual comedy. Not to say the show isn't funny. I LOVE Steve Carell, but he can only animate that character so far, and I think the show leans too heavily on him. He's amazing though.

It's shows like this and Seinfeld that, while incredibly funny... something about the styling gets very old very quick with me. For example in the Office, the awkward pause thing. It works.... hell, it's practically the show's calling card.... but it can easily be overdone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
All I have to say is, Taylor is not going to be happy. Actually, something else, I really do hate when shows/athletes/movie franchises draw out their streak far too long.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
last night’s episode was kind of uncomfortable, it was really drawn out…I’m with you x999x. send your post into NBC…

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
first of all, i agree that the show wasn't all that good. but i think that is for a few reasons:
1. i've been waiting freaking forever for this episode because of the writers strike. everytime i wait this long for something i almost always feel let down. i always build things up too big but i don't think The Office is dried up.
2. the episode was filmed almost entirely off location, in a teeny tiny townhome. i mean there were 6 people in the smallest place, and then the camera men, they didn't have a lot to work with.
3. i did think they were pushing michael and jan too far and i think they'll realize this and fix it. this is one of NBCs big shows and i think they'll fix it instead of kill it.

with all this said, i am still looking forward to next thursday. i love jim and pam and don't want the show to end because of them.

and lol, thanks binks for the shoutout XD

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
isn't this why the original BBC show was such a success? Gervais limited it to just 2 seasons and the special, never allowing it to get stale. i saw only the first episode of the US show and knew i wouldn't tune in again