the office is coming back!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited for the return, even though I thought it was last week. I'm glad the effects of the strike are finally starting to end.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well, I hope it stays fresh. I've liked Michael Scott less and less once they ran out of David Brent material for him to go off of. This is cued with a visual as well, Michael's hair changes from Brent's slicked back hairdo to brushing it to the side. Its at this point Steve Carrell turned Michael into his character, and unfortunately its the same character he plays in everything he does :T

I don't know, I mean I would have liked to have seen Carrell's take on the music video episode of the BBC Office though. I still consider that version the best, but probably because it went out in its prime and you're left still wanting more. Tim is brilliant in that version as well.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
first of all, The Office comes back on the 10th, not the 3rd. on the 3rd they will be showing 4 episodes of the office (the last four before the strike). the 10th is an ALL NEW episode of The Office called 'Dinner Party', which is where everyone is supposed to go to Michael and Jan's house for a dinner party, but only Pam and Jim show up.

2nd of all, i can't freaking wait! since The Office has went off because of the strike, i have watched every episode AT LEAST twice.

also on a random note:
i got this "quote a day" calendar of The Office and i have found like 5 quotes that are incorrect! it's insane how badly they put this calendar together...

and for x999x:
i think it's hard to compare the two versions. i couldn't ever love the original version as much as i do the American version.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Can't wait for Thursday. Not just for the Office but for My Name Is Earl too. :laugh2:
I've never watched Earl. It always seems to get great reviews but I just never seem to be around the TV when it's on. I really like the show Carpoolers on ABC, though I think it might not make it past this season.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
and for x999x:
i think it's hard to compare the two versions. i couldn't ever love the original version as much as i do the American version.
I feel the opposite in this case. I was first exposed to the UK Office, and as such it was my first impression of Mr. Gervais' and Mr.Merchant's style of writing. I think it works very well, and when seeing the american take on the format, I thought it was a little dumbed down in my opinion.

I don't mean americans are dolts and wouldn't digest the humor properly, I mean the show itself lost some of its witty edge and had it replaced with the childhood antics of Michael Scott, and his inability to realize his inappropriately immature responses to odd situations.

The writing in the american Office has really done a number with the original format, so much so that I cannot find the Michael Scott character believable anymore. As David Brent, Gervais portrayed a man who made others uncomfortable in their own skin to be around. He was your superior and devoid of a personality you yourself would seek out in friends, yet you're compelled to socialize with him because he's your boss and you want to keep your job. Despite David's inability to understand his own ineptitude with social interaction, he's still a shark who's only looking out for numero uno, himself. He exudes this side of his character in nearly ever episode, and its what lends itself to the notion that he very well may be good at his job. Why? Because he's only looking out for himself.

Michael Scott on the other hand only displayed David Brent's mannerisms for the first few episodes, this includes the adjusting the tie like a lounge standup comedian, his slicked back hair, and him only caring about himself. When the US show runs out of material to go on from the UK version Steve Carrell does what he does best, he plays Steve Carrell. Michael is now Steve and Steve is now Michael. Now we've got a child in a mans body who coincidentally manages a paper supply company, and are lead to believe he was either handed his position out of pity, or earned it by autistically inspired moments of clarity like at trade shows or bar room businesss meetings.

The US version just seems a little to fantastical for my taste, almost fairy tale like with forced heart warming endings. I find the UK version to be more in-line with reality and the things people really go through, not things we all wished would happen to us like office olympics or leaving at lunch to watch your boss fight an employee.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
first of all, The Office comes back on the 10th, not the 3rd. on the 3rd they will be showing 4 episodes of the office (the last four before the strike). the 10th is an ALL NEW episode of The Office called 'Dinner Party', which is where everyone is supposed to go to Michael and Jan's house for a dinner party, but only Pam and Jim show up.

2nd of all, i can't freaking wait! since The Office has went off because of the strike, i have watched every episode AT LEAST twice.

also on a random note:
i got this "quote a day" calendar of The Office and i have found like 5 quotes that are incorrect! it's insane how badly they put this calendar together...

and for x999x:
Well that's great, I've never watched all episodes straight threw and never scheduled to watch it, only recorded it on dvr from a couple different channels and watch them all out of order. But the 3rd would be a great start I think and then the new season kicking off on the 10th. I think I'll get into it now and maybe rent the first few seasons later on....thanks for the heads up!

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I feel the opposite in this case. I was first exposed to the UK Office, and as such it was my first impression of Mr. Gervais' and Mr.Merchant's style of writing. I think it works very well, and when seeing the american take on the format, I thought it was a little dumbed down in my opinion.

I don't mean americans are dolts and wouldn't digest the humor properly, I mean the show itself lost some of its witty edge and had it replaced with the childhood antics of Michael Scott, and his inability to realize his inappropriately immature responses to odd situations.

The writing in the american Office has really done a number with the original format, so much so that I cannot find the Michael Scott character believable anymore. As David Brent, Gervais portrayed a man who made others uncomfortable in their own skin to be around. He was your superior and devoid of a personality you yourself would seek out in friends, yet you're compelled to socialize with him because he's your boss and you want to keep your job. Despite David's inability to understand his own ineptitude with social interaction, he's still a shark who's only looking out for numero uno, himself. He exudes this side of his character in nearly ever episode, and its what lends itself to the notion that he very well may be good at his job. Why? Because he's only looking out for himself.

Michael Scott on the other hand only displayed David Brent's mannerisms for the first few episodes, this includes the adjusting the tie like a lounge standup comedian, his slicked back hair, and him only caring about himself. When the US show runs out of material to go on from the UK version Steve Carrell does what he does best, he plays Steve Carrell. Michael is now Steve and Steve is now Michael. Now we've got a child in a mans body who coincidentally manages a paper supply company, and are lead to believe he was either handed his position out of pity, or earned it by autistically inspired moments of clarity like at trade shows or bar room businesss meetings.

The US version just seems a little to fantastical for my taste, almost fairy tale like with forced heart warming endings. I find the UK version to be more in-line with reality and the things people really go through, not things we all wished would happen to us like office olympics or leaving at lunch to watch your boss fight an employee.
to each his own really. i guess i'll invest in the British version and see exactly what you're talking about. i love the american version and i honestly don't think i could love a cast more than the current. and to be fair, you shouldn't keep comparing the two since they are not supposed to be the same show. the US version has it's own writing staff, actors, and actors takes on the characters so with that said, i think you shouldn't compare the two.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I often feel this way about British sitcoms compared to US ones. I lived in the UK for a lot of years, and I love quite few of their sitcoms and sketch shows. British sitcoms are usually 'closer to the bone'; they don't necessarily have any conscience, or happy endings. Characters don't always have redeeming features either, just as sadly they sometimes don't in real life. There is little or nothing that's likable about David in the UK version, and so he probably does ring truer for those of us who have ever had a complete loser as a boss; not a complete loser who manages to be somehow lovable and endearing, just a complete loser.

Having said all that, I *much* prefer the US version. In my opinion, the UK version often resorts to 'laddish' humor and a real high percentage of sort of vulgar humor, not real witty stuff. I like Gervais, but really think the material is far from great. In this case, I'd say the imitator has surpassed the original - in terms of quality of writing, and definitely in terms of the excellent ensemble cast, which are usually the two biggest factors in a great sitcom I reckon.

I agree with you that the US version is far less believable, especially Michael's character, but for me that doesn't stop it from being consistently hilarious ...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I agree with you that the US version is far less believable, especially Michael's character, but for me that doesn't stop it from being consistently hilarious ...

exactly! Pam and Jim have surpassed ross and rachel.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Having said all that, I *much* prefer the US version. In my opinion, the UK version often resorts to 'laddish' humor and a real high percentage of sort of vulgar humor, not real witty stuff. I like Gervais, but really think the material is far from great. In this case, I'd say the imitator has surpassed the original - in terms of quality of writing, and definitely in terms of the excellent ensemble cast, which are usually the two biggest factors in a great sitcom I reckon.
The thing I consider here is that Gervais and Merchant created a product that could sell itself, and once repackaged for a US audience, it got the typical Hollywood treatment of large budgets and an actual writing team. Having a team of people work out a joke lends itself well to a broader audience for easier digestion.

The writing might not have been as linear in the BBC version, and the use of the foul langauge could be interpreted as a culture difference in my opinion. However if you delve deeper, is it really just trash talk, or is it really how people speak in the office with their mates? Having langauge restrictions in the US calls for much more creative writing to evoke the same level of energy, again thats where a team of writers comes in handy. You have to deliver a level of comedy thats on par with NBC's wholesome prime time standards, and you just can't do that with a two man team.

On a side note, the Ryan character is a comedy writer by trade in real life, it runs in his family, and hes also been contributing and directing episodes.

To me, Office BBC is the acoustic version of the show, while the NBC version is the studio album.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
On a side note, the Ryan character is a comedy writer by trade in real life, it runs in his family, and hes also been contributing and directing episodes.
yeah BJ Novak is a pretty talented writer and he's actually writing the first new episode on the 10th, 'Dinner Party'.