The official external GPS request thread

As a V1 owner, would you buy an external GPS unit if it were supported in 2.0?

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I've mentioned this several times in my postings here at the EIC. But now that 3G and 2.0 and everything is out, I want to make it official. I'm putting the call out to all developers, Apple, somebody... to please come up with a way to bring Bluetooth GPS support to the iPhone V1.

GPS.jpg

I bought this^^^ thing for $65 almost 2 years ago. They're probably even cheaper now. It worked flawlessly with my Winmo phone with Google Maps... just like the current GPS in the 3G. It was actually quite a bit faster in locking and tracking than the 3G.

It's only slightly bigger than a V1 dock, and very very light. I left mine mounted in the back of my element plugged in to constantly charge it when the vehicle was on, and my phone would automatically pair to it whenever I entered the vehicle. If I wanted to stroll with it, it was easy to take along and went for days on battery.

This sort of thing would be so easy to implement with a little code. I know the SDK does not permit access to the dock hardware, but what about BT hardware?

Regardless, Apple should realize a huge sales potential here. Imagine a chrome and aluminum hockey-puck "iGPS" unit for $100. V1 users would snatch them up!

So let's see a show of support. V1 folks... who would be into this?

Last edited by a moderator:

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
that doesn't make since being that the new iPhone is only $199.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well the price point is whatever. Like I said, I only paid $65 for mine. And if you already have a V1 and are happy with it, even a hundred bucks is cheaper than $200. I bet some would pay more for Apple style points over, say, my model.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I paid $499 for my 16gb phone & not willing to spend another $199 plus additional monthly cost for the new iPhone when I could spend a one time fee of $65 or whatever it was for this device.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
i guess, if thats the way u look at it. i like everything in one device. if that means spending an extra $200 bucks to do it, thats ok with me. its not convenient to carry around a phone and a gps puck everywhere I go. thats way too much of a hassle when you're walking and using gps. then it takes away the option of using a bluetooth headset if you use that. keeping all ports and wireless ports free is worth $200 to me. i used to have a v1 phone, but this phone is much better to me. again these are just my opinions, hopefully you'll see where i'm coming from.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I hear ya, Brian. It's not ideal, but we're just looking for alternate solutions for those who don't want to pay for a new 3G phone (and I'm sorry, but it's a lot more than $200. But we don't need to get into the economics of subsidizing in this thread).

And, for what it's worth, I was able to pair the GPS and a bluetooth headset simultaneously with my old phone, so the technology for that is there.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
i guess, if thats the way u look at it. i like everything in one device. if that means spending an extra $200 bucks to do it, thats ok with me. its not convenient to carry around a phone and a gps puck everywhere I go. thats way too much of a hassle when you're walking and using gps. then it takes away the option of using a bluetooth headset if you use that. keeping all ports and wireless ports free is worth $200 to me. i used to have a v1 phone, but this phone is much better to me. again these are just my opinions, hopefully you'll see where i'm coming from.
I understand. Everybody has their reasoning on why or why they do and/or don't want the 3g or v1 iPhone. :)

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
agreed, we are paying $10 more a month, which is dinner for one night out of the month. 3g speeds to me are worth the extra $10 a month. but the money you dish out for the phone up front, is still cheaper than the v1 iPhone. i don't think it was Apple's decision to make the service $10 more a month. that would've been AT&T's idea to compete with the other 3g services for their current line up of phones with a 3g radio.

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
I have a Holux 240 slim that I used with my BB Pearl. Would be great to sync up with my iPhone!

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
well... imo, i really don't care that much for gps in the first place and im about to get a 3g pretty soon anyways so... nah, it wouldn't really interest me. but, hey thats just me

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am always down for a better GPS than whats in my car. Right now V1 Google maps is a little better. If I could get real GPS Sat integration, that would be Awesome!

cdbformula

Bronze
Jan 6, 2008
i don't want a 3g phone because i don't have 3g coverage in my area yet, with that said i would buy a hocky puck to have gps. and at the same time if i had 3g coverage i would consider the 3g iPhone