the Official iPhone 5 Campout Madness Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by snowtrooper1966, Sep 14, 2012.

1. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm still going to be one of the cool kids :D
    Sold my family's trio of 4S's so I made enough to switch carriers and upgrade to the iPhone 5!

Until next Thursday evening, let’s get a show of hands for members thinking of joining in, swap past stories and share strategies for being the first in line.

Going to be camping @ local Verizon store to initiate service and score my precious....
    Had a blast last year at Sprint. Started the line so I was first in the door.
    Even had access to an outdoor power source so I was plugged in all night. Might want to consider that while you are scouting possible locations.

I recommend scouting local corporate stores (I would not trust any of the small independent retailers, just too much risk of getting zilched, IMO) and talking to the employees. See what the line was like last year.

Keep in mind, demand was likely smaller for the 4S than it will be this round for the 5, due to the erroneous perception the general public had that it was an incremental sub-generational advance.

Seems to me there are two distinct strategies, each accounting for your personality type and goal:

If you want to have a better chance of starting the line, try to find one that's tucked away somewhere.
    The down side is if you show up late PM, there is the chance you’ll be alone for much of the night, but will have a higher probability you will get exactly what you are after!

Perhaps a strip mall VS a large Mega mall.

On the flip side, if your into big crowds and camaraderie, go to the Mega mall. You will have fun in the party like atmosphere (if that's what you are into), probably get to watch films being screened and might even wind up on the news. Here you run the risk of sellout, long wait time and reduced inventory.

Another con related to Mega mall camping is the on-site security issue. Be sure and check how security views these events. I've heard many stories of folks showing up late PM / early AM only to be told they are trespassing, directed to leave and come back a few hours before store doors open, only to find someone has started a line shortly after.
    Some stores do a lottery for line placement. I'm sure it can get nutty but adds to the excitement.
    Ask the employees who were around for last launch, or even better, check with actual mall security to see what the official policy is.
    I strongly suggest you do your research before showing up with your gear. It will make for a much more enjoyable experience and provide you with the best chances for securing your iPhone(s) of choice.

T-Minus 6 days and counting.....:D

2. NYR2405

NYR2405 New Member

I did the camp out thing once. For the 3G I think. While it was a pleasant experience its not one I'd like to do again

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

My contact at my local corporate Verizon said that they will be making appointments for folks looking to avoid camping out. He said thatey have done it the past 2 iPhone launches. Accoding to him, they are the 2nd largest VZN corporate store in the US and as such get a huge invintory of product at launch. They open at 8am, thrill the campers needs and schedule appointments starting @ 10:30. He assured me I could come in and get the three iPhone 5's I need.
    I just met this rep a couple weeks ago and while I do not have any reason to doubt him, I am going to err on the side of caution.
    I like camping and look forward to being 1st in line and getting my hands on my precious ASAP......

4. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I'm gonna go about 2 hours before open. If the line is crazy long I'm going back home & try my luck later that morning. I don't work Fridays so I can try my luck at other AT&T stores, Best Buy, or the Apple store.

5. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

I camped out for the 3G...pre-ordered the 3GS, 4 and 4S...but I will be camping out to get the IP5...

I will get there real early...apple and AT&T stores all open up at 8AM CST....verified, so i will choose which one and hopefully be the first or in the top 10 on Friday Morning.....

6. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

My strategy exactly. Family obligations prohibit me from camping out all night. I'll head to the store after getting the kids on the bus.

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Bring 'em with you.
    Call it a field trip demonstrating hysteria and consumerism...:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I would love to camp so bad ....every year
    Today I talked to a German kid working at the Apple store he camps first and then starts his shift LOL
    Next year son can stay legally alone home (12 years) Or I make hubby take a day off (he'e be calling the looney binLOL)
    Next year s the camp year
    Remind me peeps I said so!

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Will do, Kat!
    Reminder set in calander...

10. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I haven't stood in line since the 3G as I've always preordered. Well this year the preorders were gone quick! After talking to my local AT&T they said the lines at the mall started forming about 2 hours before the 8:00 opening. So I'm shooting for about a 5:00 arrival. I've heard rumors that your best shot at getting one in line on launch day is to get a black 16gb and as you go up the chances of getting one go down. In other words there's less 32gb and even less 64gb units available. Anyone here of this?

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I can't comment on the availability of the different size models @ launch. I did forget to mention above that if you are going to mega mall to be sure and check how security views these events. I've heard many stories of folks showing up late evening / early AM only to be told they are trespassing, directed to leave and come back a few hours before store doors open.
    Ask the employees who were around for last launch, or even better, check with actual mall security to see what the official policy is.
    Will edit original post to reflect this.....

12. snowtrooper1966

Gold

An additional consideration:
    With reports of pre orders @ double the numbers of last launch, I think it's fair to say the camping lines will likewise increase.

13. Jill1228

Jill1228 Member
    Bronze

Oh yeah! I think the lines at the Apple Store on Stockton Street in San Francisco is gonna be BANANAS!
    Damn, I miss California :(

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Camping started Monday in New York's flagship store on 5th Avenue.....

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Wow! Fox has all kinds of wrong information. lol

16. Muckcityjustin

Gold

wow.. just wow

17. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Can't wait for the holographic display :D

7a6yvege.jpg

18. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

I need to pick up 3 iPhone 5's on 9/21. I can get someone to stand in line with me, but it wouldn't be until much later when I am close to going into the store. Can I have this person join me in the line without it considered to be skipping if they were not in line with me before the line started?

19. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

It would be considered skipping.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

20. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

Even if they are not buying anything?