The Official "No MMS on V1" Rant Thread

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm not buying this for one second. And Wildonrio makes a very good point:

Swirly MMS (the jailbreak MMS app) is proof that V1 can do MMS. They are gonna get destroyed for blatantly lying about that whole "radio incompatibility" businesss.
I agree. Let's get the ball rolling. Just let it all out. :p

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is what I put in the 3.0 thread.
Hell, the first cell phone I owned (back before dirt was invented) had MMS capabilities. So I think it is total BS and the V1 is probably close to extinction.
What I will add is that knowing me, that first cell phone was most likely a free one since it was my first one. So this "radio" thing doesn't hold water with me.

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
yep, i just went to Apple.com and at the bottom of the home page, there it is by the * MMS is only available on the 3G....i think i am going to vomit:mad:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I call BS as well. Surely Apple could've found a better excuse than that.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I was thinking the same thing when they announced that! There is no hardware stopping the V1 from MMS. I can't think of a phone that has ever had hardware that is incompatible with MMS. This is just a move to make us upgrade...

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
you know, the only thing that has ever bothered me about my iPhone was the mms thing....my friends with their blackberries are always sending me jokes and pictures and stuff and i have to explain to them not to text them to me because my phone cant receive them....then of course they say..." don't you have an iPhone?" Then i have to say yes....that part sucks!

idancenreno

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
I will upgrade! Yeah! Stripper nation very very happy with this!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
How can they honestly question our intelligence like this? We're all pretty techy nerds here, which means we're generally pretty smart. We can smell BS like this from a mile away. What's worse is there's a good indication this is just a marketing ploy to force V1 users to upgrade. What a joke Apple, this is almost as bad as when you dropped V1's price by $200 (33%) after only 2 months and expected us to buy your "technology pricing has gone down" bit. Please.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From the other thread:

the incompatible radio is kind of a "half lie". what they didn't go into detail was that it would require double the programming to make it work on both phones.
since the vesion 1 and the version 2 use two different radio devises. version 1 edge only and version 2 edge and 3g. they would have to come up with two different protocols for them both to send and receive messages. i agree with Lincoln (i think i cant seem to find the quote now) that Apple seems to be phasing out the ist gen phone.
Interesting perspective...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This feels like the room in American Idol that just got told they weren't going to Hollywood.:p

Has anyone asked the question or been told that MMS is supported under our current plans? How MMS in iPhone Software 3.0 Affects You

I am so waiting for AT&T to offer me an iPhone MMS plan.:mad:

Last edited:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
From the other thread:

Interesting perspective...
Sure is.... So it's just laziness then. Or I guess a better way to put it is lack of time and resources since they were so busy with other stuff. I'm REALLY pleased with everything else they did.

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
Exactly!(after reading how mms affects you) you pay $500 for a phone it should be able to send mms! It is just ridiculous! I didn't want to upgrade to the 3G because of the icky plastic...and paying extra for 3G when i don't use it...i am just bummed :(

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This feels like the room in American Idol that just got told they weren't going to Hollywood.:p

Has anyone asked the question or been told that MMS is supported under our current plans? How MMS in iPhone Software 3.0 Affects You

I am so waiting for AT&T to offer me an iPhone MMS plan.:mad:
I had just ask this question in the other thread and a few minutes later I see your post on twitter. I posted the link in the other thread.
As I said there, MMS isn't that big a deal to me, never was. If it is included in the current data plan I will probably use it some. Otherwise, my phone won't have MMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mocadulce

Sep 2, 2007
Biloxi, MS
I think that after being a loyal iPhone user since the first iday on June 29 2007, V1 users should be the first ones to get the new hardware. It would only be fair after waiting inline for hours to pay 700-800 dollars andthen 2 months later have a price drop and not be left out of getting MMS. We should start a petition. V1 users to the front of the line. On iday 3. 

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
just a reminder to everyone...

use the form below\/\/\/\/ Maybe add the link to the OP, Dave?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think that after being a loyal iPhone user since the first iday on June 29 2007, V1 users should be the first ones to get the new hardware. It would only be fair after waiting inline for hours to pay 700-800 dollars andthen 2 months later have a price drop and not be left out of getting MMS. We should start a petition. V1 users to the front of the line. On iday 3. 
You'll be second in line behind the folks who waited in the excessively long lines for the 3G during iDay 2 and the in-store activation debacle.

Which you apparently sat out...:)

Mocadulce

Sep 2, 2007
Biloxi, MS
I waited 3 days for my phone to activate and my other phone was in limbo so I has no phone. Sorry I'm still in front.

Mocadulce

Sep 2, 2007
Biloxi, MS
I sat out because I did not want a plastic backed phone that at the time really did not do anything more than the one I had.

kengelmann

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007

I agree, but, really, did you expect to get all of those goodies for free? Someone has to pay, and, they know us V1 users will probably breakdown and pay. We are paying for their development costs. Not rocket science.