The official U.S. unlocked iPhone 5 watch thread maybe?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by fury, Oct 17, 2012.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Anybody besides me holding out for the officially unlocked iPhone 5? I don't trust Verizon or AT&T phones to stay unlocked.

2. Psyrix

Psyrix Member
    Bronze

Pretty sure the FCC and Attorney General would have a few words for either company if they did lock them. They both signed an agreement that states they can't.

Think you are waiting for nothing.

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

That open access policy doesn't mean much. There is reportedly at least one LTE phone locked on Verizon.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3405610/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-open-access-fcc

And Verizon has "no plans" to re-lock their iPhone 5 phones. Yet. That they have this power to re-lock the phone is one reason I'm concerned about whether I should buy a Verizon iPhone 5.

Also, AT&T never signed such an open access policy. It applies to the upper C block. http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/cse574-08/ftp/700mhz/index.html#sec3_2

If you get a full-price AT&T iPhone 5 from Apple, you might be able to do a quick restore to unlock it today, but what about a few months down the line, or if you have to get it replaced at an Apple store? That's the iffy part with which I am not comfortable. They keep a database of phones which are allowed to be unlocked, and knowing my luck, as soon as I plop down the $850 + tax, I'll be the fortunate one that gets the first re-lock.

5. Psyrix

Psyrix Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the second link. Thought for sure I had read that AT&T had bought someone that had won an upper C block. Looks like I misread that info.

6. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Got mine factory unlocked via eBay

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

That stuff seems somewhat sketchy to me. How do I know that I can trust that any more than I can trust a full-price AT&T phone? Or, for that matter, one that AT&T graciously unlocks for me like they unlocked my iPhone 4. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I don't know. It would just really suck if all of a sudden something happens that makes me end up with a locked phone after all of that trouble. If I have to replace the phone and I get a locked one in return, I don't want to have to pay $5-10 for another unlock, or hassle AT&T again.

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It's our right to hassle the carriers as much as possible. I don't think they would intentionally re-lock a replacement. Just let them know your previous device was unlocked if you ever had to get one. I'm almost certain they keep records in their database.

9. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

10. kunfuzious

kunfuzious Member
    Bronze

Same here. Upgraded and restored software twice and still unlocked. Well worth the $6