The official U.S. unlocked iPhone 5 watch thread maybe?

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
Pretty sure the FCC and Attorney General would have a few words for either company if they did lock them. They both signed an agreement that states they can't.

Think you are waiting for nothing.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
That open access policy doesn't mean much. There is reportedly at least one LTE phone locked on Verizon.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3405610/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-open-access-fcc

And Verizon has "no plans" to re-lock their iPhone 5 phones. Yet. That they have this power to re-lock the phone is one reason I'm concerned about whether I should buy a Verizon iPhone 5.

Also, AT&T never signed such an open access policy. It applies to the upper C block. http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/cse574-08/ftp/700mhz/index.html#sec3_2

If you get a full-price AT&T iPhone 5 from Apple, you might be able to do a quick restore to unlock it today, but what about a few months down the line, or if you have to get it replaced at an Apple store? That's the iffy part with which I am not comfortable. They keep a database of phones which are allowed to be unlocked, and knowing my luck, as soon as I plop down the $850 + tax, I'll be the fortunate one that gets the first re-lock.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for the second link. Thought for sure I had read that AT&T had bought someone that had won an upper C block. Looks like I misread that info.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Got mine factory unlocked via eBay
That stuff seems somewhat sketchy to me. How do I know that I can trust that any more than I can trust a full-price AT&T phone? Or, for that matter, one that AT&T graciously unlocks for me like they unlocked my iPhone 4. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I don't know. It would just really suck if all of a sudden something happens that makes me end up with a locked phone after all of that trouble. If I have to replace the phone and I get a locked one in return, I don't want to have to pay $5-10 for another unlock, or hassle AT&T again.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It's our right to hassle the carriers as much as possible. I don't think they would intentionally re-lock a replacement. Just let them know your previous device was unlocked if you ever had to get one. I'm almost certain they keep records in their database.