The "perfect" holster case

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
My quest for the "perfect" holster case continues. I prefer to use my cell phone "naked" (the phone, not me) and I also prefer to carry them on my belt/hip, not in a pocket. That's how I've carried all my previous cell phones and that's how I want to carry my iPhone.

When I purchased the iPhone the only case immediately available that fit my needs was the Griffin Elan Holster:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanholster/

There it was, right at the Apple store and, quite frankly, it is the one I continue to use (as I look for the "perfect" holster case). But the leather quality isn't that great and I don't care for the embossed design and I'm particularly not happy with the way the belt clip is moveable/removeable. Since it isn't secured down inside the case, the case will sometimes twist a bit on my belt.

Since the Griffin wasn't the "perfect" case for me, I next ordered a Sena Elega Pouch:

http://www.senacases.com/Brands/apple-iphone-Cases/APPLE-iPHONE-ELEGA-POUCH

Outstanding leather quality and outstanding construction. But the sides of the Elega are too tall to allow me to easily grasp the iPhone to remove it from the pouch (Sena should have lowered the sides a bit to allow more finger room to grasp the edges of the iPhone). Plus, the darn "ratchet" belt clip turns WAY too easily. Same problem as with the Griffin... all too easy for the case to become askew. The Elega went back.

Then I got my hopes up over the iQase Swift:

http://www.iqase.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

That one arrived today. Very nice leather quality and EXCELLENT belt clip design. Unfortunately, the case is much too loose. So much so that a bit of jogging with the case on my belt actually causes the iPhone to bounce up and down inside the case. And, to top it off, the material that iQase used on the sides has a coarse texture and I'm concerned that it might wear the finish on my iPhone over repeated insert/removal from the case.

So, the Swift is going back too and I'll continue to use the Griffin until I find the "perfect" vertical holster case.

If anyone spots one, please let me know. My silly requirements:

* Quality leather
* Soft interior and soft side material (the leather sides the Griffin uses is fine)
* Full coverage for the face and back of the iPhone
* Vertical orientation
* Good belt clip that doesn't twist
* Open at the top (no flap)
* Low enough on the sides to allow easy grasp of the sides of the iPhone
* Nice snug fit that won't allow the iPhone to drop out of it should you turn it upside down
* No giant white logos or other ugly ornamentation
* Good quality interior material that resists bending but remains flexible (the iQase feels like it is simply stiff cardboard inside... the Griffin and the Sena felt more like a firm but slightly flexible plastic material)

I see that iQase is running a design a case contest. The "perfect" case would be the elegance of the Sena combined with the belt clip of the iQase combined with the easier access (grasp) and snugger fit of the Griffin. But that would still be so close to the iQase Swift that I don't see them making a new case. I spoke with the owner and he didn't seem to care about my concerns over the fit and side material quality (too coarse).

Maybe I should just go to a nice leather shop and have them make one to my specifications?

Mark

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I love the belt clip on the Speck holster. Just bare spring steel is all you need. The ones covered in leather end up getting worn or the seems come loose anyway.

But I want a holster that fully covers both the front and the back of the iPhone. With the Speck holster, the seatbelt stalk in one of my cars would be rubbing right against the face (or back) of the iPhone every time I get into the car. Not good.

Added to requirements:

* Full coverage for the face and back of the iPhone

Mark

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
Check out the Marware CEO sleve. The clip does rotate but it ratchets, and the phone is very snug in the sleeve. I don't think it could fall out even if you shook it hard.

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I have had very bad luck (over the years) with those plastic type belt clips. More than once I've had one of those clips break or fly apart. Plus, those plastic clips won't fit a thick belt. I MUCH prefer a belt clip that's permanently attached to the case like the ones on the cases I've already mentioned.

I think I'm going to go to a leather shop and ask about having a case made to my own specifications. I'll spend upwards of $100 for a QUALITY case that's exactly what I need.

Mark

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
A closer look at the options for the Marware products revealed this optional clip:

http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/Case-Accessories/Spring-Clip

As I understand it, that clip snaps onto the case (in place of the little "stud" that would normally attach to the standard clip supplied with the CEO sleeve). It's all part of Marware's Multidapt system.

I've just placed an order for the CEO Sleeve and the optional Spring Clip. I'm hopeful that it will turn out to be THE case for me.

Thank you nippyjun for reminding me of this case!

Mark

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
A closer look at the options for the Marware products revealed this optional clip:

http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/Case-Accessories/Spring-Clip

As I understand it, that clip snaps onto the case (in place of the little "stud" that would normally attach to the standard clip supplied with the CEO sleeve). It's all part of Marware's Multidapt system.

I've just placed an order for the CEO Sleeve and the optional Spring Clip. I'm hopeful that it will turn out to be THE case for me.

Thank you nippyjun for reminding me of this case!

Mark
You are welcome. I didn't know that they had the spring clip. The standard clip does fit my thicker belt but i think i'm going to get one of the spring ones to try it out. Thanks.

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
The CEO sleeve's clip extends above the case line and would appear to poke the wearer in the side. The clip on the Griffin Elan does not. I have the Elan and like it. The perfect case may be a belt clip horizontal holster with a magnetic flap that has a low profile and does not interfere with bending and doesn't poke you in the side. Anyone have a magnetic flap case on the belt?

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
There are lots of horizontal case options. Some of them are quite attractive. But all of them have have a flap, which is something that I don't want in a case. Particularly a magnetic flap considering the apparent negative impact magnetic flaps have had on SOME iPhones.

Oh... and a vertical case was one of my criteria. :)

With the optional Spring Clip I mention above, the CEO Sleeve clip won't extend higher than the top of the case. And I wear my case on my belt on the side of my body. In that position, it is not a factor when I bend at the waist.

Mark

FAsnakes

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Good Luck in your search. I’m looking for a case with the same requirements as you, coincidentally I’ve settled with the griffin (in the mean time) as well.
I’ve also tried several….

Subscribing,

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
Search over for now

I too have been looking for some time, I tried one clip holster but seem bulky for me. I kept looking and looking. So from the female side here, I decided to look at small purses. I found one where the phone would fit in a side ways pocket with a snap and I am using the original phone pocket to store my earbuds and other cords so that I will have them handy. The entire outfit will suit me for now till I find something locally that matches my needs. I don't really like ordering items like this unseen. My phone feels more secure to me this way.

I guess we all have to find one that makes each of us feel safe.

omni

Jul 31, 2007
I also use the Belkin, it's a great case for a reason not yet mentioned. If you look at the picture of it closely you will notice that the leather at the bottom is more supple than the leather that protects the front and back, and what I do is I put the iPhone in the case, inside my pocket, clipped to my pocket edge. When the phone rings I push up on the bottom supple leather, (through my pants) which folds into the case and pushes the phone out of the case, then I easily grab it. After a few weeks of use it's a little tiny bit looser, but still holds tight. Love the case, just got it until the iskin came out, but after reading the reviews I'm sticking with the belkin.

If I've confused you please see this pic for the "push up" technique. I don't clip to my belt though, I'm too clumsy. The clip is secured to the case though and is pretty dang tight (which is good). Also there is some sort of a steel plate reinforcing the exterior leather side. Ssee the belkin logo on the case? That is steel and it goes farther out under the leather and makes the outer leather very very strong!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
How long until we get a review of the Marware CEO sleeve? I'm very interested in this case as well.

What else do you want to know about it. I have one. It's a nice leather and looks good. The belt clip ratchets which is great.. it stays in position rather then flopping down like nonratcheting ones. The inside is soft material.

The only issues could be weather the clip could break over time and if the screen could be scratched if something sharp got into the case.

I think an ideal sleeve would be one just like the the marware one with room for the iPhone in a rubber sleeve. With the marware sleeve you are still left with a naked iPhone. I'd rather have it wrapped in rubber so if it drops its better protected. I guess a rubber sleeve like the revo with a ratcheting belt clip and a visor like the revo would be ideal for me.... but such a case does not exist.... yet.. .unless the iskin people make a revo w/ a belt clip.