The "Phone App" won't open iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Target, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Have a friend with the oddest problem. Her Phone App will not open. You call, it will show the green bar at the top of the springboard or will do nothing. When the green bar is there, you cannot tap it to open the phone app. It will show missed calls. Cannot call out.

We've tried hard reset and resetting network settings. Trying to avoid a total wipe. But...

Anyone seen this?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Is the app unresponsive or does it immediatly crash back to the home screen upon opening?
    2. What happens when she tries to make a phone call when selecting a contact in the Contacts app?

Try another hard reset. Make sure you press both buttons at the same time and let go when you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't work, reset all settings.
    Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

1. The app is totally unresponsive. No crash, just doesn't do anything.

2. Wish I would have thought to try that.

We'll try the all settings reset.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If she resets all settings, be sure she understands everything will need to be reset, including alarms in the clock app.

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Calling directly from a contact worked. However, when I call her, the phone doesn't ring. It will show the missed call, but the screen stays off. No way to know other than missed call notification.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So it's acting like DND is on and the phone app is completely unresponsive. Did you try resetting all settings? This is a long shot, but it will only take a few seconds to test: try moving the phone app to a different location on the screen. Maybe that portion of the screen is shot and DND is on? If not, reset all settings and post back.

7. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Sounds to me like it's time for a trip to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. At the very least they can wipe and reload the software. Just make sure she does a backup before going.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He hasn't completed the troubleshooting yet. He can save a trip and restore himself at home. That's a last resort, though. Resetting all settings might fix it.

9. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Definitely try everything possible at home. I'm just feeling like a software reload is going to be necessary. I hope not, but when a core app remains totally unresponsive in my experience it points to professional grade trouble. Fixable, but tricky. Lets hope the above remedies get it sorted though.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. It most likely will require a restore. I just always recommend less drastic methods first since they sometimes work.