The problem with iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Cjvdh, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Ok so where to begin this thread .... I first wanted to thank everyone for the incredible support and following of my story just a quick update on things I originally purchased an iP6 on launch day at my local at&t store I was 6th in line and they only got 5 plus models on launch day and everyone in front of me bought one. I was pretty upset but settled for the 6 model and was happy the first few days and then just wanted more! I returned the 6 last week and it reset eligibility I placed my order with Apple for a 64GB Gold iP6+ GSM it's been in processing now for roughly 13 days. This morning I noticed a friend of mine who purchased a new iP6+ he was also having a hard time finding one so I asked him where he purchased. He told me he purchased at Target and I said to him I thought they didn't do NEXT well apparently there doing it again now all the sudden. I called my local target and they had some and they did confirm they are back to doing NEXT upgrades the only problem was they only had 16GB models I went down there looked around and ending up getting one thinking I could manage the space through dropbox, and iCloud.

After playing with the plus now for roughly 24 hours I am starting to see the real problem with this phone.

1) It's really just an akward size as much as I hate to say it. It's almost a cross between a phone and tablet literally ... no it's not 7 inches but it's not that far away either.

2) It's so big that this means apps need to be re sized specifically for it I don't know about you guys but this is a HUGE issue for me. Everything is just blown up and looks like CRAP! Facebook, tweet bot, banking apps, etc pretty much every iOS app on the 6 plus looks like poop! It's just so pixelated and looks terrible IMO.

3) It seems the plus just needs more customized design for apps. I know what your going to say next .... they did it with the 5S so they will do it with the plus however the 5S was easy because all they had to do was add another row! The plus is drastically different because of it's height and width i.e. Apple has introduced split screen in things like Mail, Reminders, etc. The problem, it doesn't work very well because it's trying to do things that a large screen full size iPad does and it doesn't translate or work well. And just blowing up the same interface from the smaller screened iPhones (5S).

I honestly think this is going to be more of a challenge than some think it's not clear exactly what the results will be, or when the situation will improve dramatically. IMO the plus model is in it's own category of devices and developers cannot make the same UI for the 5S/6 over to the 6+

Im almost starting to regret even returning my original purchase of the 64GB regular iPhone 6 model just because of a bigger screen appeal. I highly doubt I can make the 16GB model work without services like drop box, and the iCloud. As of right now I am going to keep my order with Apple since I have waited this long just to see what happens however I need to make a decision soon as this has just been driving me crazy. I know a lot of you plus users know what I am talking about .....

2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I've been a Plus user since 8:15 am on release day and u have no idea what you're talking about. I love my. Golden Plus. For someone who had a couple weeks to decide, I would have thought you would have gotten your hands on one at least a time or two before making the switch.

Lemme just say, PLUS IS THE BEST!!!

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's what I did before mine arrived. I went to a carrier store and tried one out and then walked up to a guy in Best Buy and asked him how he liked his Plus. He was very obliging and took it out of the case so I could actually hold it.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Too big? Awkward?

NO WAY! Why would you even consider posting this ... REALLY?

:D

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'll admit it that I didn't hold anything of size besides my dad's 5" galaxy before choosing the 5.5", but my friend and I love it.

6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I'd like to make s motion that this thread be removed on the grounds that the original post is plain blasphemy!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll take it under advisement. :D

8. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Glad I stayed with my regular 6.

9. sgsmdm

sgsmdm New Member

I had the 6 for about a week before my 6 plus arrived. The first day I used the 6 plus I thought I had made a mistake and that the phone was too big. Once I really had time to spend with it the following days, I realized that the 6 plus is an awesome phone and that I had definitely made the right decision. I have the Apple leather case on it and it feels great in the hand and can do many things one handed but also don't mind using two. Obviously it's a personal choice but once you spend some time with it, use some of the apps in widescreen, you too may see the benefit of a larger phone.

10. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

I'm just not happy with the power button i find that to be in the wrong place

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is not a problem specifically for the Plus. It is in a different place on both the Plus and 6. It's a matter of opinion but I think it's easier to reach the power button on the side than on the top. I didn't like having to stretch my hand to reach it.

12. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I've had the 6 plus since release day and it's a perfect size and the apps are already being optimised for the screen, sounds like soar grapes to me.

13. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I can't imagine the 6+. It wasn't even an option for me. The 6 is too big for my liking. I notice the crappy apps on the 6 sometimes because they just to look as crisp stretched out .7". What I really don't get is all these people who settle for the one they didn't really like/want just to have it now... There's people out there who want the phone you are using "temporarily". Why not have some patience and wait it out til you find what you truly want?? I can understand the people that aren't sure which one they want. But then again I would never be waiting in line on launch day. I didn't even order on preorder day and I had my 6 on sept 30. A couple days after everyone else who got up in the wee hours of the morning and fought crowds or crashing preorder sites. Ok rant over. But I do agree the 6+ is TOO big for a phone but that's just my opinion...

Sent using iCafe app

14. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

If the 6 is to big for someone, then I'd go with 2+2=4 and assume the 6+ would certainly be to big for that person. I'd imagine getting one or the other without checking out a similar sized phone wouldn't be a great idea, but might work out with luck.
    This isn't the first time I've said this in a post, but I spent months going into stores and checking out similar sized phones to both the 6 and 6+ and made my decision the 6+ was big, but not to big to be the better choice.
    Obviously with a few days then a few weeks under my belt, it seems normal and iPhone 5s and 4s just seem way smaller than they used to be, like too small.
    I have to say I love the 6+ and am very happy with it. I find it hard to understand how someone that has a 6 can possibly say they would never want a 6+ if they have never tried one.

15. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Personally I think the 6 is a better size for most but I am happy with my 6+. It is a little awkward at times but that is getting less and less as I use it more. I wanted the extra screen space and the extra battery life so that pushed me over to the larger device. I still hope they come out with a smaller version for those that have smaller hands.

16. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

AWWWW @Cjvdh

I'm sorry you hate the 6+ so much. Everyone has their own experiences with these new iPhones. I do respect all experiences and opinions on this. I can't tell you or anyone that the 6+ is the bomb and it's the best iPhone over all the others and you're stupid for not liking it. If you can't fit it into your routine and life comfortably without hassle or problems then it is not the iPhone for you. I'm glad that what you did get out of your horrible ordering and hunting dilemma is that you now know that the iPhone 6+ is just not for you and you will do better with the 6.(y)

You're still keeping your original order in for the 64GB 6+ just to see what happens. I suppose to see how much dag on longer it’ll take to fill the order. LOL! You can and should return that 16GB 6+ and see if you can switch it for the iPhone 6 64GB. Then when you finally get that 6+ just return it. Get the 6+ out of your life once and for all.

I just want you to be happy with your purchase. You brought up some valid points about the 6+ and you know you aren’t the only person with those very exact same issues. I’m sure Apple is going to take these things into advisement when then make their next iteration of the iPhone. Maybe they’ll make changes for the iPhone 7 if not sooner by the time the S versions of the 6 come out.

All in all, you’ve been through enough and I’ll be the first to congratulate you on your new, much deserved, iPhone 6 that I know you will love.(y)

I have loved the iPhone 6+ at first sight of it on the Special Event and while I wavered for a minute towards the 6 that 6+ always had my heart. I have had no issues with adjusting to it’s size and have adjusted my lifestyle to the 6+. I have a cross body pouch I use at work and at home to carry my 6+ around with me and never put it into a pants pocket. I keep it out of site during my commute in order to conceal my ownership of it for now as it is not the norm out here yet. I have had no issues with Apps looking wrong on this large screen. I have had hundreds of updates to Apps that have adjusted their resolution and size to the new screen sizes so I’m ok there. The position of the on/off switch eluded me for a split second and then I got used to and love it where it is. I just love my iPhone 6+ and I would want you to have the same feeling and love for your 6.

To each his or her own. Different sizes for different folks. No one is better or superior to the other. Apple has just one more thing they should probably do, whether they will do this or not is up for debate. They should make updated iPhones with different screen sizes for their customers. (4", 5", 5.5") As we can glean from our very forumOne Size Does not Fit All. I think they will realize this and made accommodations. At least I hope so.

To you my friend, enjoy your iPhone 6 when you get it, you deserve it! (y)(y)

#16 Sharunda, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

App redesign took forever with the iPad as well. Just give it time, it'll happen. The really large companies like Facebook and banks take a while for the bureaucratic gears to spin.

18. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

While I certainly try to glean as much as I can from this forum, some of us certainly gleam more than others. ;) :D

Sorry, I couldn't help it. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

You, my good sir, ________!(fill in the blank - I had something there that I didn't want censored so I just put a blank) LOL!! :D

Thanks for that.:D IDK why it changed from glean to gleam. Nevertheless, I corrected it. ROFLMAO!!! :ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My sentiments exactly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List