The process of getting an iPhone and switching carriers. I'm concerned.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Well the time is nearly here.

After the long, long....looooong wait, I'm finally gonna do this thing.

So, how do I do it? I've been tracking this phone since release and havn't put much thought into how or what I'm gonna do when the day finally comes! HALP! :sick:

I'm currently on T-Mobile, actually I have 3 lines on T-Mobile and they are all being paid on a month to month schedule. So I'm poised and ready to go on that regard. We're moving all 3 over to AT&T.

I want to get the iPhone from the Apple store, I know that. I want to experience the whole launch day thing, camping out if need be and all that stuff. :p

I'm really just wondering, when is a good time to switch carriers?

Do I:

1. Stay on T-Mobile, go to the Apple store and come home and activate my iPhone over the internet with AT&T and start service, then cancel T-Mobile?
  2. Stay on T-Mobile, go to the Apple store and go directly from there to an AT&T store and show them that I have a new phone and would like to activate it with a new 2 year plan? And while I'm there convince them they do not need to add activation fee since I'll be paying them probably over 2 grand in the 2 years to come.
  3. End my T-Mobile contract, then go to the Apple store and then either home or AT&T store to activate new service?
Feel free to add your own experience and option to my three to help me out.

One time I was visiting an AT&T store and started talking with a sales rep and they told me that all I have to do is sign a 2 year contract and they take care of porting my # over to their service from my old service and handle all the switching over and stuff themselves. Is this true?

Anyways, thanks for reading and any suggestions you may add. :laugh2:

iPhone here I come!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You want to stay with T until you get the phone so you can keep your current number. Now the V1 was activated at home, but the 3G had to be done at Apple/ATT. I will assume this will be the case with the new phone. Once your number is ported, cancel the T account. I got the 3G at Apple and everything went flawless,porting and all. The 2/yr agreement was done there also. I personally like going to Apple. I feel if you have any questions about the phone, you are going to get better answers.
Thrilled the day has finally come for you. You have been a great contributer when it comes to speculation on the new phones.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
One time I was visiting an AT&T store and started talking with a sales rep and they told me that all I have to do is sign a 2 year contract and they take care of porting my # over to their service from my old service and handle all the switching over and stuff themselves. Is this true?

Anyways, thanks for reading and any suggestions you may add. :laugh2:

iPhone here I come!
That part is true- AT&T will port your #'s over and it's a painless process. I'm not sure when you should do the switch because you want to buy the phone from Apple.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Indy when you go to the store and buy your phone you need to have the password to your T-mobile account/s and your account numbers handy. From there they will port your numbers over. Porting your numbers over will automatically cancel your T-Mobile account/s without you having to do a thing with T-Mobile.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was just going to say what Phxblue said. My Sprint line ported and and activated in the store on iDay 2.0. You must have your password. I was #30 in line at an AT&T store and the first to walk out with an active line (iTunes server was overwhelmed that day).

Also, just my 2 cents, you'll still get the "Apple experience" at an AT&T store, it comes comes in a smaller (shorter) package.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Well, thank you.

This sounds very easy then.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Oh, there's no question to if I'll be using the Apple store or the AT&T store. Apple store all the way!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
That depends on the pricing and all but I would love to be able to surprise her. ;) I'm still saving so that I might have extra. And yes, I'm very excited.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Oh, there's no question to if I'll be using the Apple store or the AT&T store. Apple store all the way!
I'm with you on that Indy. I live walking distance from BestBuy, AT&T store, and Apple Store. I want the Apple experience though and decided to purchase my new iPhone at the Apple Store even if it means more crowds or longer lines.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Its totally worth it. Plus there's a lot more cool stuff to look at and fiddle around with while you are there.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Also, Indy you may want to keep an eye open on the Apple website for pre-setup, preliminary stuff before going to the Apple store. I know last year people could get their credit check done online before heading to the store. It is just one thing to get out of the way and speed up the check out process at the store.