The sacrifices I make for my career

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Good Day

It is nice to have internet access again.
I am pleasantly surprised at how much I missed posting, but sacrifices must be made to play music (drums for the newer members) 2 1/2 hours a day, to drink for 5 and to sleep for 9.

In case anyone is interested:

From July 29 until August 23, I was working at the 37 year old Hackmatack Playhouse (don't ask me what Hackmatack means, I don't know) in breathtaking South Berwick Maine, playing the exhausting Elvis Presley Musical "All Shook Up".

I was housed by myself in a converted mill, which, although situated on a private lake owned by the home/mill owner, had no television, no internet access, and no Edge signal. I barely had a PHONE signal.

It did have its benefits:

I learned more about astronomy than I ever thought I would, because there was NO ambient light within 10 miles.

I saw deer, rabbits and raccoons every day in my front yard, ducks, geese and other water fowl in my lake and enjoyed the company of a black bear who came to visit me a few times when I was drinking on my front dam. (That reference will make sense later, when I remember how to post pictures)

The bear situation is not quite as dangerous as it sounds. One of the actors in the show was a Maine Fish and Game Warden, with whom I discussed my initial concern, and who assuaged my fears about the bear, whom I did (with little originality) name Black Bear.

I have not had the opportunity to look at this website since July 25, and hope to catch up over the next few days, but did want to say hello to everyone and that I missed being here.

I shall return.

Good Day

Dana

P.S. Sam, you may now change your signature.

iCafe, Tom, my friend, congratulations on your rightful ascension to the Throne of Genius.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Nice to see you again, Dana! Glad all is well, and I envy your time away from technology.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I hope you had fun! It sounds like you had a relaxing time. Welcome back.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
hey dana...hope you enjoyed your sabbatical. you're just in time for the big news! so, relax, get comfortable, and hold on to your hat...

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Since I have been gone since the "thanks" were revamped, I am hesitant to use the thanks button right now.
So...
Jack, thank you. You always seem to be the first to welcome me back and seeing you name is always a pleasure.

Lisa, thank you. I know you live in Florida, but I do not know where. Are you in any danger from the never ending parade of storms? I will not be back until October 6 (not intentionally, by the way) and I am keeping an eye on my friends in South Florida, and would like to add you to the list.
My house is made of brick and is on a small hill so I am not so concerned about the storms damaging my home and/or flooding.

Coasts, thank you.
What big news, Sir? iPhone?

I am still unfamiliar with 2.0.

Thank you all

Dana

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
whoa, it's Dana! welcome back! Sounds like you've had a very enjoyable couple of months, even if you had to sacrifice the company of your wonderful friends here. I'm a huge nature person, it sounds to me like you were in heaven.

again, welcome back. you have been missed around here.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My wife grew up in Maine. Absolutely love it up there. Welcome back Dana.

I was housed by myself in a converted mill, which, although situated on a private lake owned by the home/mill owner, had no television, no internet access, and no Edge signal.
Sounds like some sort of Internet-aholics rehab that I'll probably find myself in one day.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Thank you Aggie,

Thank you for your kind words. I was missed? What a nice statement.....

I AM a nature person, that is why I HATE living in Florida.
I came home more to breathe fresh air again and to see trees than to play music.
(No, that's not true....I came home for both).
But it was great to come out of work and see stars and have the temperature be in the mid 50's.

Thank you Chris.
Maine is definitely my favorite state. Where did your wife grow up?

It is funny. I had never been without those modern devices before and I found myself feeling much less driven to DO THINGS.

It was a perfect summer.

Now one more month of New England and back to the South.

Good Day
Dana

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
don't you have an iPhone?
"I was housed by myself in a converted mill, which, although situated on a private lake owned by the home/mill owner, had no television, no internet access, and no Edge signal. I barely had a PHONE signal."

:p

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The man, the legend... he returns!

You really didn't miss a whole lot. Some new gadget and some buggy firmware is about it. I'm still rocking the same firmware since you left :D

Glad to see you back... stick around this time.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Good Day Sir

Thank you for your kind words.
It is nice to be back.
And I think I will stay a while, if that is acceptable.

Dana

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Dave
Are you still on 1.1.4?

I have not upgraded yet, but was considering it.
However, I have MANY videos, both on Show Time and the regular video recorder that I do not wish to lose.

Is there an option other than e mailing myself the videos, which apparently is not possible with Show Time.
Is there a way to SSH them?

Good Day
Dana

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Dave
Are you still on 1.1.4?

I have not upgraded yet, but was considering it.
However, I have MANY videos, both on Show Time and the regular video recorder that I do not wish to lose.

Is there an option other than e mailing myself the videos, which apparently is not possible with Show Time.
Is there a way to SSH them?

Good Day
Dana
I am still on 1.1.4. Waiting for a (hopefully) stable 2.1 before I upgrade. I would recommend you do the same at this point.

And yes, you can SSH those videos off of your phone to save them

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
"I was housed by myself in a converted mill, which, although situated on a private lake owned by the home/mill owner, had no television, no internet access, and no Edge signal. I barely had a PHONE signal."

:p
well, why didn't you say so...

H

Hayesimus

DANA! welcom back! Love the new avatar btw.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Dana, thanks for asking about the storms. Fay gave us up to 30" of rain in some parts of Brevard County. I live in Rockledge, work in Cape Cananveral and my kids go to school in Merritt Island. We had many areas with flooding, but personally I came out fine.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Welcome back, Dana. It's been too long. Maybe you can scare up Tom, again; he's been scarce around here lately. I'm still on 1.1.4 as well with no problems. Can't decide whether to upgrade or just buy a new 3G.
Glad you're back, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of good stories for us. :)

S

Starry

Welcome Back Dana.... :)